Starting over

  • pompyn
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 11, 2007
      Hello all. My name is Nima. I am not certain if I have posted here
      before, but if I haven't I will begin with an introduction. I was
      previously a member of SGI and after being there for a while I
      realized that that was not the place for me. I am seeking advice now
      on reading material to someone new to Buddhism so that I may develope
      a firm foundation and understanding. Any assistance would be greatly
      appreciated. Thank you in advance.

      Sincerely,

      Nima
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 12, 2007
        Hi Nima,

        In one of the sites that I frequent I posed the following question to
        the members: "If you could only bring one text with you what book
        would it be." Here are their replies which may be of some help to you.

        Gampopa's Jewel Ornament of Liberation Khenpo Konchog Gyaltsen's
        translation

        The Hundred Thousand Songs of Milarepa, author - Garma C.C.Chang
        (Shambhala ISBN 1-57062-476- 3)

        Shantideva's Bodhicaryavatara (and sneak along a commentary so you can
        make sense of it).

        "Rainbow Painting" by Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche

        Rain of Wisdom. My copy is Shambhala 1980, trans. Nalanda Translation
        Committee

        Great Path of Awakening" by Jamgon Kongtrul

        "Blazing Splendor". It's not a classic, but certainly an amazing and
        inspiring read.

        "Ocean of Definitive Meaning" by Karmapa IX Wangchuk Dorje

        'Words of My Perfect Teacher'

        Avatamsaka Sutra

        Prajnaparamita in 8000 verses

        Torch of Certainty by Jamgon Kongtrul transl. Judith Hanson

        "Luminous Mind" by Kalu Rinpoche

        Jewel Ornament Of Liberation

        Tulku Urgyen--"As It Is", vols 1& 2

        "Enlightened Courage" by Dilgo Khyentse

        Lady of the Lotus Born

        "NAKED AWARENESS: Practical Instructions on the Union of Mahamudra and
        Dzogchen" by Karma Chagme/Gyatrul Rinpoche see http://www.snowlion
        pub.com/search. php?in_item_ id=584

        Natural Liberation by Gyatrul Rinpoche see
        http://www.mirrorofwisdom.org/estore/display.php?RecordID=1130160307

        "Pointing Out the Great Way: The Stages of Meditation in the Mahamudra
        Tradition" by Daniel Brown PhD

        I am also very fortunate to have received some books, CDs, leaflets,
        etc. on Buddhism from http://www.justbegood.net which I can send to
        you free (unfortunately none are the titles mentioned above). I make
        these texts available to local university students and currently have
        a few remaining before T. Y. Lee at justbegood.net sends me additional
        quantities for the up-coming school year. These are totally free (I
        even pay postage) but you'd have to privately e-mail me an address.

        I could understand if you are reluctant in doing this especially with
        all of the horror stories regarding the Internet. But if you prefer
        not to send to your home address, they could be sent c/o your work
        address.

        May all be at peace.

        John
      • Ken/
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 13, 2007
          A great list, John. I wanted to emphasize Gampopa's
          "Jewel Ornament of Liberation", and "Words of My
          Perfect Teacher", as I have read and reread both, many
          times. I get more out of them each time that I read
          them. I would like to add Sogyal Rinpoche's "Tibetan
          Book of Living and Dying", and HH the Dalai Lama's,
          "The Four Noble Truths". I keep a pocket version, of
          this, with me all of the time.

          Also, Nima, I would like to say that nothing surpasses
          a real, in the flesh, teacher. If at all possible, you
          should find a Dharma center that you are comfortable
          with and attend as often as possible. With gas prices
          the way they are, sometimes distant ones become more
          distant, but even if you only attend once in a while,
          it is worth it.

          Best of luck in your quest,
          Ken/

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 13, 2007
            Ken,

            Thanks for the kind words but the thanks belongs to those who
            submitted their answers to my question. I was rather "distressed" by
            the few titles which are in my library but the purpose of my query was
            to increase my personal library with well thought out texts. I
            certainly agree with adding Sogyal Rinpoche's wonderful text. There
            are others that I would personally recommend but I didn't want to
            "overwhelm" anyone with a card catalog of titles (smile).

            I also agree with the value of attending a temple for face-to-face
            instruction although I personally am unable to do this. I think Nima
            should understand this when she receives the material I will be
            sending to her in the next day or so.

            May all be at peace.

            John
          • Ramesh Patil
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 13, 2007
              Hi Ken,
              K:-"A great list, John. I wanted to emphasize Gampopa's
              "Jewel Ornament of Liberation""

              R:-Actually I have "Liberation in the palm of ur hand..by ..Pabongka
              Rinpoche.."
              Wisdom publications...A very usefull book...

              K:-"Sogyal Rinpoche's "Tibetan Book of Living and Dying""

              R:- Ken u mentioned this book also..but where to get these books from..If i
              will get then I want to read those also..

              with metta
              ramesh

              On 6/13/07, Ken/ <klegshe@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > > mentioned above). I make
              > > these texts available to local university students
              > > and currently have
              > > a few remaining before T. Y. Lee at justbegood.net
              > > sends me additional
              > > quantities for the up-coming school year. These are
              > > totally free (I
              > > even pay postage) but you'd have to privately e-mail
              > > me an address.
              > >
              > > I could understand if you are reluctant in doing
              > > this especially with
              > > all of the horror stories regarding the Internet.
              > > But if you prefer
              > > not to send to your home address, they could be sent
              > > c/o your work
              > > address.
              > >
              > > May all be at peace.
              > >
              > > John
              > >

              > > Yahoo! Groups Links

              > Get the Yahoo! toolbar and be alerted to new email wherever you're

            • pompyn
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 7, 2007
                John,
                Thank you for sending me all the wonderful books. I received them on
                Thursday, but then had problems locating the email to respond. I will
                begin reading them as soon as possible. Thanks again.
              • Ramesh Patil
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 8, 2007
                  Hi John,
                  Still I had not received books from you..
                  I am waiting from long time...
                  Regards
                  Ramesh