The proud beetle in a lump of cow dung.

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 29, 2007
      Dear All,

      I came upon the following story in my readings this morning and
      thought I'd pass it along as a meditation aide.

      May all be at peace.

      John

      "There was once a beetle which came upon a lump of cow dung. He
      worked himself into it and liking what he saw, he invited his friends
      to join him in building a city in it. After working feverishly in it
      for a few days they built a magnificent 'city' in the dung and feeling
      very proud of their achievement they decided to elect the first beetle
      as their king. Now to honor their new 'king' they organized a grand
      parade through their 'city.' While these impressive proceedings were
      taking place, an elephant happened to pass by and seeing the lump of
      cow dung he lifted his foot to avoid stepping in it. The king beetle
      saw the elephant and angrily shouted at the huge beast, 'Hey you!
      Don't you have any respect for royalty? Don't you know it's rude to
      lift your leg over my majestic head? Apologies at once or I will have
      you punished.' The elephant looked down and said, 'Your most gracious
      majesty, I humbly crave your pardon.' Thus saying he knelt down on the
      lump of dung and crushed king, city, citizens and pride in one obeisance.
      "We, too, build little empires and set ourselves up as important
      people, only to be crushed into insignificance in the presence of real
      greatness."

      from "Why Worry: Practical Advice from the Buddhist Teachings to Live
      Your Life Without Stress and Worry" by K. Sri Dhammananda, BMSM
      Publications, Malaysia ©1996.