How's it going all?

  • Nicholas Benedict
    Message 1 of 3 , May 5, 2003
      --- Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com wrote:

> [...]
      > purpose of any method or formal practice.
      >
      > MY name is Ryk, I am 48, live in a small town in a
      > small house with
      > my partner, two dogs, two cats, assorted birds, bugs
      > and fish. We
      > have a son, daughter-in-law and grandson and are a
      > fairly tight-knit
      > family. I work as a janitor at a high school. MY
      > hobbies are
      > gardening, doing wood projects, taking small hikes
      > in the wilderness,
      > listening to classical, New Age, and Native American
      > music. I
      > discovered the dharma at the age of thirteen but was
      > always too
      > preoccupied to give it the serious consideration it
      > deserved. Now as
      > I grow older, and that in a time when the planet is
      > in such dramatic
      > throes of change, I'm finding the legitimate reasons
      > for Buddha
      > practice- not just for my obtainment, but to obtain
      > merit to dedicate
      > to the innocent victims of war. I believe the only
      > answer to the
      > present condition is a spiritual one. The only
      > violence I am in a
      > position to effectively deal with is my own. So
      > that is where I am
      > beginning. Now I am a pupil, and I am struggling to
      > even accomplish
      > paying attention a single breath, and have still to
      > be able to fully
      > experience drawing in air, that elementary and
      > essential act which
      > keeps me alive. My goals, if I can accomplish
      > anything, are to be
      > less angry and more accepting. My refuge name is
      > Tubten Norbu.
      >
      > In Gassho,
      >
      > Ryk

      > Message: 2
      > Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 00:55:28 -0400
      > From: "Peter C. Skye" <pcskye@...>
      > Subject: Re: Introduction
      >
      > On Sun, 27 Apr 2003 04:38:16 -0000, Oelund Fairking
      > wrote:
      > >But I differed from the teachings, in I felt that
      > the Pure Land
      > >experience is the understanding of your present
      > life in terms of
      > >such, and not strictly of a state of being obtained
      > upon your death.
      >
      > Hi Ryk,
      >
      > This statement is true for the most part of Jodo
      > Shinshu but not at
      > all true of Jodo Shu where the emphasis on the Pure
      > Land as a literal
      > post-mortem existence is still quite prevalent.
      >
      > I personally am agnostic about rebirth conceived of
      > as post-mortem
      > existence. I do not recall any previous existences
      > and I have no
      > reason to suspect future ones. For that reason,
      > Jodo Shinshu speaks
      > to my condition. For those for whom rebirth as a
      > literal phenomenon
      > is an obvious truth, the phowa and Jodo Shu

      http://search.yahoo.com
    • Nicholas Benedict
      Message 2 of 3 , May 5, 2003
        Most benificent greetings to one and all,
        I've been reading about yoga recently and how
        it relates to Buddhism, Tibetan that is. I heard
        Astanga is one style which is more compatible with
        Tibetan Buddhism than others might be. Anyone got any
        opinions on this? If one could recommend a style of
        yoga for Tantric Buddhist practicioners which would it
        be?
        Thanks,
        Nick (Ireland).

      • ladyfire5
        Message 3 of 3 , May 6, 2003
          Greetings,

          I just joined this group. I am a resident of Sarasota, Florida and
          as a student of spirituality, I have read about many different paths
          including the one I practiced for the last twenty years, Wicca. My
          interest in Buddhism is about ten years old, but only recently have I
          done any reading. I purchased a book not long ago called Tibetan
          Relaxation: Kum Nye Massage and Movement by Tarthang Tulku. The
          subtitle of the book is A Yoga for Healing and Energy from the
          Tibetan Tradition. It includes sitting postures, breathing
          techniques, self-massage and movement. This is a very nice and
          gentle practice that is powerful because the movements are done very
          slowly with awareness. Although, I am hardly an expert, I think you
          might like the book. It should be available on Amazon or Barnes and
          Noble.com.

          Brightest Blessings and Namaste'

          Karen

          --- In Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com, Nicholas Benedict
          <robitusson2000@y...> wrote:

          > Most benificent greetings to one and all,
          > I've been reading about yoga recently and how
          > it relates to Buddhism, Tibetan that is. I heard
          > Astanga is one style which is more compatible with
          > Tibetan Buddhism than others might be. Anyone got any
          > opinions on this? If one could recommend a style of
          > yoga for Tantric Buddhist practicioners which would it
          > be?
          > Thanks,
          > Nick (Ireland).
          > --- Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com wrote:

          ----

          > > There are 2 messages in this issue.
          > >
          > > Topics in this digest:
          > >
          > > 1. Introduction
          > > From: "Oelund Fairking"
          > > <Chitakwa@h...>
          > > 2. Re: Introduction
          > > From: "Peter C. Skye" <pcskye@a...>

          __

          __

> [...]
          > > in such dramatic
          > > throes of change, I'm finding the legitimate reasons
          > > for Buddha
          > > practice- not just for my obtainment, but to obtain
          > > merit to dedicate
          > > to the innocent victims of war. I believe the only
          > > answer to the
          > > present condition is a spiritual one. The only
          > > violence I am in a
          > > position to effectively deal with is my own. So
          > > that is where I am
          > > beginning. Now I am a pupil, and I am struggling to
          > > even accomplish
          > > paying attention a single breath, and have still to
          > > be able to fully
          > > experience drawing in air, that elementary and
          > > essential act which
          > > keeps me alive. My goals, if I can accomplish
          > > anything, are to be
          > > less angry and more accepting. My refuge name is

          __

          __

          > > Message: 2
          > > Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 00:55:28 -0400
          > > From: "Peter C. Skye" <pcskye@a...>
          > > Subject: Re: Introduction
          > >
          > > On Sun, 27 Apr 2003 04:38:16 -0000, Oelund Fairking
          > > wrote:
          > > >But I differed from the teachings, in I felt that
          > > the Pure Land
          > > >experience is the understanding of your present
          > > life in terms of
          > > >such, and not strictly of a state of being obtained
          > > upon your death.
          > >
          > > Hi Ryk,
          > >
          > > This statement is true for the most part of Jodo
          > > Shinshu but not at
          > > all true of Jodo Shu where the emphasis on the Pure
          > > Land as a literal
          > > post-mortem existence is still quite prevalent.
          > >
          > > I personally am agnostic about rebirth conceived of
          > > as post-mortem
          > > existence. I do not recall any previous existences
          > > and I have no
          > > reason to suspect future ones. For that reason,
          > > Jodo Shinshu speaks
          > > to my condition. For those for whom rebirth as a
          > > literal phenomenon
          > > is an obvious truth, the phowa and Jodo Shu
          > > experiences are probably
          > > more edifying.
          > >
          > > Gassho
          > > Peter