Re: Good morning all

  • sampont64
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 13, 2006
      --- In Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com, "sampont64" <ymatbe@...> wrote:

      > Hi, I'm here on my first Yahoo group, so I try to find out my way.
      > I'm glad to learn more about buddhism and it's spirituality.
      > Sorry if my english is sometimes wrong, I'm from Belgium, and don't
      get
      > the opportunty to write in english very often.

      Thanks for your kind welcome.
      I've questions about the way things work here.
      May I copi/paste some texts (for exemple glimpse of the day) to my
      blog in ordre to make some comments (in french + english) for the
      friends there? The purpose is to transmit those thoughts to as much
      people as possible.
      May I ask questions or write comments to those wonderful texts here ?
      I'm not sure if I can come with my "big shoes" (as we say in Belgium)
      and maybe say something stupid or so common to you, but that's the
      way I could be sure I've understand the idea that is expressed.
      Thanks in advance.
      Yolande.
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 13, 2006
        Hi, Yolanda,

        The purpose of this list and others like it is to ask (and answer)
        questions. So, yes, please do this.

        About copying and pasting texts from postings on this list to other
        places: this is difficult to say. I believe it would depend upon the
        copyright laws in effect in your country and, perhaps too, international
        copyright laws. I'm fairly familiar with US copyright laws, but since
        you're in Belgium, the laws there are probably a bit different and I
        really couldn't comment in enough depth to answer your question.

        One factor, though, is that in the US anything anyone writes is
        considered copyrighted, whether this is specifically mentioned or not.
        So even this email I'm writing to the people on this list is,
        technically speaking, copyrighted. This means that no one can publish
        it elsewhere without my permission. Of course, the same regulation
        applies to all US citizens posting to this list and any other list and
        anywhere on the internet. And I believe that other countries have
        treaties which state that they agree to abide by each others' copyright
        regulations.

        There are many nuances to this area of the law, too many for me to
        describe. The standard advice in a situation like this is to get the
        advice of a legal professional, i.e., an attorney whom you yourself
        hire. (Sorry about that.)

        Regards,
        ken

        --
        Reason obeys itself; and ignorance does whatever is dictated to it.
        -- Thomas Paine
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 13, 2006

          > > Hi, I'm here on my first Yahoo group, so I try to find out my way.
          > > I'm glad to learn more about buddhism and it's spirituality.
          > > Sorry if my english is sometimes wrong, I'm from Belgium, and don't
          > get
          > > the opportunty to write in english very often.
          > >

          > Thanks for your kind welcome.
          > I've questions about the way things work here.
          > May I copi/paste some texts (for exemple glimpse of the day) to my
          > blog in ordre to make some comments (in french + english) for the
          > friends there? The purpose is to transmit those thoughts to as much
          > people as possible.
          > May I ask questions or write comments to those wonderful texts here ?
          > I'm not sure if I can come with my "big shoes" (as we say in Belgium)
          > and maybe say something stupid or so common to you, but that's the
          > way I could be sure I've understand the idea that is expressed.
          > Thanks in advance.
          > Yolande.

          Bienvenu.

          Yolande, believe me -- your English is much better than my poor
          ability to either write or speak French.

          Much of what is posted here may be "gleaned" from many different sites
          so I don't think there is any violation of copyright laws but you may
          want to check and be sure. Most Buddhist sites permit usage with the
          stipulation that they are credited in the posting and that the
          information is for free dissemination.

          As to questions/comments -- I think we would welcome not only that but
          your insights (point of view) as well.

          Say something stupid?? No such way! You should read some of my
          thoughts to really "see" dumb. But, as I say, we are all new to this.

          May all be at peace.

          John
        • steve.ensley@sealedair.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 13, 2006
            I have a question I'd like to ask the group. In Buddhism what is meant by
            "being empty"?

            "John Pellecchia"
            <pellejf@...
            m> To
            Sent by: Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com
            Buddhism_101@yaho cc
            ogroups.com
            Subject
            [Buddhism_101] Re: Good morning all
            11/13/2006 10:37
            AM

            Please respond to
            Buddhism_101@yaho
            ogroups.com

            > > Hi, I'm here on my first Yahoo group, so I try to find out my way.
            > > I'm glad to learn more about buddhism and it's spirituality.
            > > Sorry if my english is sometimes wrong, I'm from Belgium, and don't
            > get
            > > the opportunty to write in english very often.
            > >

            > Thanks for your kind welcome.
            > I've questions about the way things work here.
            > May I copi/paste some texts (for exemple glimpse of the day) to my
            > blog in ordre to make some comments (in french + english) for the
            > friends there? The purpose is to transmit those thoughts to as much
            > people as possible.
            > May I ask questions or write comments to those wonderful texts here ?
            > I'm not sure if I can come with my "big shoes" (as we say in Belgium)
            > and maybe say something stupid or so common to you, but that's the
            > way I could be sure I've understand the idea that is expressed.
            > Thanks in advance.
            > Yolande.

            Bienvenu.

            Yolande, believe me -- your English is much better than my poor
            ability to either write or speak French.

            Much of what is posted here may be "gleaned" from many different sites
            so I don't think there is any violation of copyright laws but you may
            want to check and be sure. Most Buddhist sites permit usage with the
            stipulation that they are credited in the posting and that the
            information is for free dissemination.

            As to questions/comments -- I think we would welcome not only that but
            your insights (point of view) as well.

            Say something stupid?? No such way! You should read some of my
            thoughts to really "see" dumb. But, as I say, we are all new to this.

            May all be at peace.

          • Ellis Nelson
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 13, 2006
              emptiness (Skt. shunyata)- the absence of all false ideas about how things exist; specifically, the lack of apparent independent self-existence of phenomena
              (Source: Introduction to Tantra-Lama yeshe

              Everything is empty of intrinsic existence.

              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 14, 2006
                --- In Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com, ken <gebser@...> wrote:

                > Hi, Yolanda,
                >
                > The purpose of this list and others like it is to ask (and answer)
                > questions. So, yes, please do this.
                >
                > About copying and pasting texts from postings on this list to other
                > places: this is difficult to say. I believe it would depend upon
                the
                > copyright laws in effect in your country and, perhaps too,
                international
                > copyright laws. I'm fairly familiar with US copyright laws, but
                since
                > you're in Belgium, the laws there are probably a bit different and
                > really couldn't comment in enough depth to answer your question.
                >
                > One factor, though, is that in the US anything anyone writes is
                > considered copyrighted, whether this is specifically mentioned or
                not.
                > So even this email I'm writing to the people on this list is,
                > technically speaking, copyrighted. This means that no one can
                publish
                > it elsewhere without my permission. Of course, the same regulation
                > applies to all US citizens posting to this list and any other list
                and
                > anywhere on the internet. And I believe that other countries have
                > treaties which state that they agree to abide by each others'
                copyright
                > regulations.
                >
                > There are many nuances to this area of the law, too many for me to
                > describe. The standard advice in a situation like this is to get
                the
                > advice of a legal professional, i.e., an attorney whom you yourself
                > hire. (Sorry about that.)
                >

                > Regards,
                > ken
                >
                > On 11/13/2006 05:46 AM somebody named sampont64 wrote:
                > >>

                > > Thanks for your kind welcome.
                > > I've questions about the way things work here.
                > > May I copi/paste some texts (for exemple glimpse of the day) to
                my
                > > blog in ordre to make some comments (in french + english) for the
                > > friends there? The purpose is to transmit those thoughts to as
                much
                > > people as possible.
                > > May I ask questions or write comments to those wonderful texts
                here ?
                > > I'm not sure if I can come with my "big shoes" (as we say in
                Belgium)
                > > and maybe say something stupid or so common to you, but that's
                the
                > > way I could be sure I've understand the idea that is expressed.
                > > Thanks in advance.
                > > Yolande.
                >
                > --
                > Reason obeys itself; and ignorance does whatever is dictated to it.
                > -- Thomas Paine

                Thanks Ken, John and to you all, I'll be carefull with the copy ;)
                And I'll try to put down some of my ideas, understandings,
                experiences, so that we can discuss them in a Buddhist's way of
                thinking. I'm looking forwart to this.