Re: [Buddhism_101] Re: Namaste - new member

  • sirainbw@netzero.net
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 26, 2006
      Hi my name is Sara and I live in Lakewood, Colorado; I study & practice Buddhism, Hinduism, and Pagan(Wicca/druid). I attend the United Unitarian Universalist Church and at times attend a Buddhist Center in Denver. It would be great to hear from others with the same interests.

      Sara

      -- "silver_dancer33" <hundredpercentredneck@...> wrote:
      --- In Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com, "Devi Spring" <prana_devi@...>
      wrote:
      >Hi Devi! I am not from Toronto but I am so glad to see someone else
      who is eclectic Wiccan and Buddhism. People with that combination
      are hard to find! Welcome to the group and I hope you find what you
      need. Feel free to e-mail me anytime. Blessed Be!
      > Namaste All-
      >
      > My name is Devi and I am from Toronto, Ontario.
      >
      > I have a BA in Relgious Studies for which I specialized in
      Hinduism,
      > but took many required breadth studies in Buddhism. My current
      > personal practice is a solitary blend of eclectic Wicca and
      > universalist Hinduism. I've been very active spiritually my whole
      life
      > and am now studying Tibetan Buddhism more closely as I am craving
      > fellowship and a structured learning environment.
      >
      > I'm looking forward to learning with this group.
      > Are there any members in the Toronto area?
      >
      > Blessings,
      > ~Devi~

    • johnny_iguanna
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 26, 2006
        hi sara

        "sirainbw@..." <sirainbw@...> wrote: Hi my name is Sara and I live in Lakewood, Colorado; I study & practice Buddhism, Hinduism, and Pagan(Wicca/druid). I attend the United Unitarian Universalist Church and at times attend a Buddhist Center in Denver. It would be great to hear from others with the same interests.

        wrote:
        >Hi Devi! I am not from Toronto but I am so glad to see someone else
        who is eclectic Wiccan and Buddhism. People with that combination
        are hard to find! Welcome to the group and I hope you find what you
        need. Feel free to e-mail me anytime. Blessed Be!
        > Namaste All-
        >
        > My name is Devi and I am from Toronto, Ontario.
        >
        > I have a BA in Relgious Studies for which I specialized in
        Hinduism,
        > but took many required breadth studies in Buddhism. My current
        > personal practice is a solitary blend of eclectic Wicca and
        > universalist Hinduism. I've been very active spiritually my whole
        life
        > and am now studying Tibetan Buddhism more closely as I am craving
        > fellowship and a structured learning environment.
        >
        > I'm looking forward to learning with this group.
        > Are there any members in the Toronto area?
        >
        > Blessings,
        > ~Devi~

        johnny iguanna
        Whatever happend to Give Peace a Chance

        test'; " type=text/css>

      • Sean Lukens
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 26, 2006
          Hey Sara,

          I too am a UUer who studies and practices Buddhism and Paganism. I am in Central Pennsylvania with the closest Buddhist center, The Blue Mountain Lotus Society, being about 1 1/2 hours away. So, I do not get to attend the center's activities very often, but am on their mailing list, so I can stay informed. I live in a rather religious, conservative area, so when I mention Buddhism and Paganism, I often get either a disinterested or concerned (for my soul) look. But, I have found some sitting and walking meditation groups closer to home.

          I know of a number of Buddhist Centers in your area - Shambala, the Zen Center, Avalokiteshvara - I'm jealous :-).

          Sean

          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 26, 2006
            Hi Devi,

            I am from Central Pennsylvania, about 6 hours South-ish.

            I am wondering what "universalist Hinduism" is? I have heard of Hindu universalism which implies that all religions are true in a way. Similar idea?

            Thanks!

            Sean

            My name is Devi and I am from Toronto, Ontario.

            > I have a BA in Relgious Studies for which I specialized in
            Hinduism,
            > but took many required breadth studies in Buddhism. My current
            > personal practice is a solitary blend of eclectic Wicca and
            > universalist Hinduism. I've been very active spiritually my whole
            life
            > and am now studying Tibetan Buddhism more closely as I am craving
            > fellowship and a structured learning environment.
            >
            > I'm looking forward to learning with this group.
            > Are there any members in the Toronto area?
            >
            > Blessings,
            > ~Devi~

          • Devi Spring
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 27, 2006
              :

              > Hi Devi,
              >
              > I am from Central Pennsylvania, about 6 hours South-ish.
              >
              > I am wondering what "universalist Hinduism" is? I have heard of
              Hindu universalism which implies that all religions are true in a way.
              Similar idea?

              Same thing. :D

              ~Devi~
            • sirainbw@netzero.net

                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 28, 2006
                  I too am a new member of the group, and wanted to briefly introduce
                  myself. My name is Jeremy, and I live in upstate NY. I have a
                  degree in wildlife biology, and am currently working as an
                  ecologist/environmental educator. I have also worked as a state
                  wildlife biologist in the Everglades of South Florida, and a
                  zookeeper at the San Antonio Zoo in Texas and at Disney's Animal
                  Kingdom. I am very interested in nature, wildlife, travel,
                  photography, world religions, history, and more! I am currently
                  studying several pagan traditions, and am a member of several
                  groups, including the Correllian Nativist Church, ADF, Henge of
                  Keltria, and Fellowship of Isis. I don't currently know a whole lot
                  about Buddhism, although I am very interested in learning more and
                  trying to incorporate some of the practices into my life. I would
                  greatly appreciate it if anyone can suggest any good websites,
                  magazines, or organizations that I could learn from.

                  Thanks,
                  Jeremy

                  "We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from
                  our Children" ~Native American Proverb

                  Visit my website at http://jeremyjtaylor.tripod.com *Updated October
                  2006*
                  Visit my Earth Survey blog at http://earthsurvey.blogspot.com