Namaste - new member

  • Devi Spring
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 23, 2006
      Namaste All-

      My name is Devi and I am from Toronto, Ontario.

      I have a BA in Relgious Studies for which I specialized in Hinduism,
      but took many required breadth studies in Buddhism. My current
      personal practice is a solitary blend of eclectic Wicca and
      universalist Hinduism. I've been very active spiritually my whole life
      and am now studying Tibetan Buddhism more closely as I am craving
      fellowship and a structured learning environment.

      I'm looking forward to learning with this group.
      Are there any members in the Toronto area?

      Blessings,
      ~Devi~
    • silver_dancer33
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 24, 2006
        --- In Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com, "Devi Spring" <prana_devi@...>
        wrote:
        >Hi Devi! I am not from Toronto but I am so glad to see someone else
        who is eclectic Wiccan and Buddhism. People with that combination
        are hard to find! Welcome to the group and I hope you find what you
        need. Feel free to e-mail me anytime. Blessed Be!

      • sirainbw@netzero.net
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 26, 2006
          Hi my name is Sara and I live in Lakewood, Colorado; I study & practice Buddhism, Hinduism, and Pagan(Wicca/druid). I attend the United Unitarian Universalist Church and at times attend a Buddhist Center in Denver. It would be great to hear from others with the same interests.

          Sara

          wrote:
          >Hi Devi! I am not from Toronto but I am so glad to see someone else
          who is eclectic Wiccan and Buddhism. People with that combination
          are hard to find! Welcome to the group and I hope you find what you
          need. Feel free to e-mail me anytime. Blessed Be!
          > Namaste All-
          >
          > My name is Devi and I am from Toronto, Ontario.
          >
          > I have a BA in Relgious Studies for which I specialized in
          Hinduism,
          > but took many required breadth studies in Buddhism. My current
          > personal practice is a solitary blend of eclectic Wicca and
          > universalist Hinduism. I've been very active spiritually my whole
          life
          > and am now studying Tibetan Buddhism more closely as I am craving
          > fellowship and a structured learning environment.
          >
          > I'm looking forward to learning with this group.
          > Are there any members in the Toronto area?
          >
          > Blessings,
          > ~Devi~

        • johnny_iguanna
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 26, 2006
            hi sara

            "sirainbw@..." <sirainbw@...> wrote: Hi my name is Sara and I live in Lakewood, Colorado; I study & practice Buddhism, Hinduism, and Pagan(Wicca/druid). I attend the United Unitarian Universalist Church and at times attend a Buddhist Center in Denver. It would be great to hear from others with the same interests.

            wrote:
            >Hi Devi! I am not from Toronto but I am so glad to see someone else
            who is eclectic Wiccan and Buddhism. People with that combination
            are hard to find! Welcome to the group and I hope you find what you
            need. Feel free to e-mail me anytime. Blessed Be!
            > Namaste All-
            >
            > My name is Devi and I am from Toronto, Ontario.
            >
            > I have a BA in Relgious Studies for which I specialized in
            Hinduism,
            > but took many required breadth studies in Buddhism. My current
            > personal practice is a solitary blend of eclectic Wicca and
            > universalist Hinduism. I've been very active spiritually my whole
            life
            > and am now studying Tibetan Buddhism more closely as I am craving
            > fellowship and a structured learning environment.
            >
            > I'm looking forward to learning with this group.
            > Are there any members in the Toronto area?
            >
            > Blessings,
            > ~Devi~

            johnny iguanna
            Whatever happend to Give Peace a Chance

            test'; " type=text/css>

          • Sean Lukens
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 26, 2006
              Hey Sara,

              I too am a UUer who studies and practices Buddhism and Paganism. I am in Central Pennsylvania with the closest Buddhist center, The Blue Mountain Lotus Society, being about 1 1/2 hours away. So, I do not get to attend the center's activities very often, but am on their mailing list, so I can stay informed. I live in a rather religious, conservative area, so when I mention Buddhism and Paganism, I often get either a disinterested or concerned (for my soul) look. But, I have found some sitting and walking meditation groups closer to home.

              I know of a number of Buddhist Centers in your area - Shambala, the Zen Center, Avalokiteshvara - I'm jealous :-).

              Sean

              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 26, 2006
                Hi Devi,

                I am from Central Pennsylvania, about 6 hours South-ish.

                I am wondering what "universalist Hinduism" is? I have heard of Hindu universalism which implies that all religions are true in a way. Similar idea?

                Thanks!

                Sean

                My name is Devi and I am from Toronto, Ontario.

                > I have a BA in Relgious Studies for which I specialized in
                Hinduism,
                > but took many required breadth studies in Buddhism. My current
                > personal practice is a solitary blend of eclectic Wicca and
                > universalist Hinduism. I've been very active spiritually my whole
                life
                > and am now studying Tibetan Buddhism more closely as I am craving
                > fellowship and a structured learning environment.
                >
                > I'm looking forward to learning with this group.
                > Are there any members in the Toronto area?
                >
                > Blessings,
                > ~Devi~

              • Devi Spring
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 27, 2006
                  :

                  > Hi Devi,
                  >
                  > I am from Central Pennsylvania, about 6 hours South-ish.
                  >
                  > I am wondering what "universalist Hinduism" is? I have heard of
                  Hindu universalism which implies that all religions are true in a way.
                  Similar idea?

                  Same thing. :D

                  ~Devi~
                • sirainbw@netzero.net

                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 28, 2006
                      I too am a new member of the group, and wanted to briefly introduce
                      myself. My name is Jeremy, and I live in upstate NY. I have a
                      degree in wildlife biology, and am currently working as an
                      ecologist/environmental educator. I have also worked as a state
                      wildlife biologist in the Everglades of South Florida, and a
                      zookeeper at the San Antonio Zoo in Texas and at Disney's Animal
                      Kingdom. I am very interested in nature, wildlife, travel,
                      photography, world religions, history, and more! I am currently
                      studying several pagan traditions, and am a member of several
                      groups, including the Correllian Nativist Church, ADF, Henge of
                      Keltria, and Fellowship of Isis. I don't currently know a whole lot
                      about Buddhism, although I am very interested in learning more and
                      trying to incorporate some of the practices into my life. I would
                      greatly appreciate it if anyone can suggest any good websites,
                      magazines, or organizations that I could learn from.

                      Thanks,
                      Jeremy

                      "We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from
                      our Children" ~Native American Proverb

                      Visit my website at http://jeremyjtaylor.tripod.com *Updated October
                      2006*
                      Visit my Earth Survey blog at http://earthsurvey.blogspot.com