RE: Rigpa Glimpse of the Day

  • Namdrol Tsepal
    Message 1 of 921 , Sep 14, 2006
      Howard Cutler: "...am I right in assuming that you would consider solitary
      meditation to be a productive activity? Would you consider to be productive
      our example of a monk who is a hermit, who has little contact with anybody
      else and spends his or her life just in meditation, trying to achieve

      Dalai Lama: "Not necessarily. From my viewpoint, there can be both
      productive meditation and unproductive meditation."

      HC: "What's the difference?"

      DL: "[Some] practitioners and other kinds of meditators practice different
      techniques, some with closed eyes, sometimes open eyes, but the very nature
      of that meditation is to become thoughtless, in a state free of thoughts.
      But in a way, this is a kind of retreat, like they are running away from
      trouble. When they actually face trouble, carry on their daily life and face
      some real life problems, nothing has changed. Their attitudes and reactions
      remain the same. So that kind of meditation is just avoiding the problem,
      like going on a picnic, or taking a painkiller. It's not actually solving
      the problem.

      Some people may spend many years doing these practices, but their actual
      progress is zero. That's not productive meditation. Genuine progress occurs
      when the individual not only sees some results in achieving higher levels of
      meditative states but also when their meditation has at least some influence
      on how they interact with others, some impact from that meditation in their
      daily life--more patience, less irritation, more compassion. That's
      productive meditation. Something that can bring benefit to others in some

      --from "The Art of Happiness at Work" by His Holiness the Dalai Lama and
      Howard C. Cutler, M.D.

      Profound and tranquil, free from complexity,
      Uncompounded luminous clarity,
      Beyond the mind of conceptual ideas;
      This is the depth of the mind of the Victorious Ones.

      In this there is not a thing to be removed,
      Nor anything that needs to be added.
      It is merely the immaculate
      Looking naturally at itself.

      In today�s highly interdependent world, individuals and nations can no
      longer resolve many of their problems by themselves. We need one another. We
      must therefore develop a sense of universal responsibility . . . It is our
      collective and individual responsibility to protect and nurture the global
      family, to support its weaker members, and to preserve and tend to the
      environment in which we all live.

      Difficulties and obstacles, if properly understood and used, can turn out to
      be an unexpected source of strength. Gesar was the great warrior king of
      Tibet, whose escapades form the greatest epic of Tibetan literature. Gesar
      means �indomitable,� someone who can never be put down. From the moment
      Gesar was born, his evil uncle Trotung tried all kinds of means to kill him.
      But with each attempt Gesar only grew stronger and stronger.

      For the Tibetans, Gesar is not only a martial warrior but also a spiritual
      one. To be a spiritual warrior means to develop a special kind of courage,
      one that is innately intelligent, gentle, and fearless. Spiritual warriors
      can still be frightened, but even so they are courageous enough to taste
      suffering, to relate clearly to their fundamental fear, and to draw out
      without evasion the lessons from difficulties.

      Sogyal Rinpoche

      A direct reflection on what death means and the many facets of the truth of
      impermanence can enable us to make rich use of this life while we still have
      time, and ensure that when we die it will be without remorse or
      self-recrimination at having wasted our lives.

      As Tibet�s famous poet-saint, Milarepa, said: �My religion is to live�and
      die�without regret.�

      Sogyal Rinpoche
    • Analine Tsepal
      Message 921 of 921 , Aug 6, 2011