Infinitely Joyous Consciousness ... !!!

  • Bhikkhu Samahita
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 4, 2006
      Friends:

      How is Release by Mutual Joy Achieved?

      The Blessed Buddha once said:
      And how, Bhikkhus, is release of mind by infinite mutual joy (Mudita)
      achieved? What does this liberation have as its destination, what is
      its culmination, what is its sweet fruit, and what is the ultimate goal
      of mental release by universally mutual & unselfish joy?
      Here, Bhikkhus, a Bhikkhu dwells pervading the frontal quadrant,
      with a mind imbued with infinite mutual joy, so the second quarter,
      the third quarter, and the fourth quarter. As above, so below, across,
      and everywhere, and to all beings so to himself, he dwells pervading
      the entire universe with a mind saturated with unlimited mutual joy,
      immense, exalted, measureless, without hostility, without any enmity,
      without any ill will! Thus prepared and expanded he then develops:
      1: The Awareness Link to Awakening joined with limitless mutual joy.
      2: The Investigation Link to Awakening fused with such mutual joy.
      3: The Energy Link to Awakening together with infinite mutual joy.
      4: The Joy Link to Awakening accompanied with absolute mutual joy.
      5: The Tranquillity Link to Awakening linked with noble mutual joy.
      6: The Concentration Link to Awakening associated with mutual joy.
      7: The Equanimity Link to Awakening joined with endless mutual joy.
      Based upon seclusion, disillusion, ceasing, and culminating in release.
      If he then wishes:
      May I dwell experiencing the repulsive in any unrepulsive & tempting,
      then he can dwell experiencing repulsiveness therein. If he wishes:
      May I dwell experiencing the unrepulsive in any disgusting & repulsive,
      then he dwells experiencing pleasing beauty in whatever disgusting!
      If he wishes: May I dwell experiencing the repulsive in what is both
      unrepulsive & repulsive, he dwells experiencing repulsive disgust in it.
      If he wishes: May I dwell experiencing the unrepulsive in what is both
      unrepulsive & repulsive, he experiences only unrepulsive beauty by it!
      If he wishes: Avoiding both the repulsive and the unrepulsive, may I
      dwell in equanimity, just aware and clearly comprehending, then he
      dwells in equanimity, just aware and clearly comprehending! Or else,
      completely transcending the realm of infinitude of space, only aware
      that consciousness is infinite, he enters and dwells in the sphere of
      the infinitude of consciousness.. I tell you Bhikkhus for a quite wise
      Bhikkhu here, who has not yet penetrated to an even more superior
      mental release, the mental release by infinite, altruistic & mutual joy
      has the sphere of the infinitude of consciousness as its culmination!

      Source of reference (edited extract):
      The Grouped Sayings of the Buddha. Samyutta Nikaya.
      Book [V: 115-21] 46: The Links. 54: Joined by Friendliness...

      PS: Please include the word Samahita in any comment, since then
      will my automatic mail filters pick it up and I will see it & respond!!

      Bhikkhu Samahita, Ceylon.
      Friendship is the Greatest ...
      Let there be Calm & Free Bliss !!!

      http://What-Buddha-Said.net
      Dhamma-Questions sent to my email are quite Welcome.