Space Compassion ... !!!

  • Bhikkhu Samahita
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2006
      Friends:

      How is Release by Infinite Pity Achieved?

      The Blessed Buddha once said:
      And how, Bhikkhus, is the mental release by universal pity (karuna)
      achieved? What does this liberation have as its destination, what is
      its culmination, what is its sweet fruit, what is the final goal of such
      mental release by universal pity?
      Here, Bhikkhus, a Bhikkhu dwells pervading the frontal quadrant,
      with a mind imbued with infinite pity, so the second quarter, then
      the third quarter, and the fourth quarter. As above, so below, across,
      and everywhere, and to all beings so to himself, he dwells pervading
      the entire universe with a mind saturated with such unlimited pity,
      immense, exalted, vast, measureless, without hostility, without enmity,
      without any ill will! Thus prepared and expanded he then develops:
      1: The Awareness Link to Awakening joined with limitless pity.
      2: The Investigation Link to Awakening fused with such pity.
      3: The Energy Link to Awakening together with infinite pity.
      4: The Joy Link to Awakening accompanied with absolute pity.
      5: The Tranquillity Link to Awakening linked with spacious pity.
      6: The Concentration Link to Awakening associated with pity.
      7: The Equanimity Link to Awakening joined with endless pity.
      Based upon seclusion, disillusion, ceasing, and culminating in release.
      If he then wishes:
      May I dwell experiencing the repulsive in the unrepulsive & tempting,
      then he can dwell experiencing the repulsive therein. If he wishes:
      May I dwell experiencing the unrepulsive in the disgusting repulsive,
      then he dwells experiencing pleasing beauty in whatever disgusting!
      If he wishes: May I dwell experiencing the repulsive in what is both
      unrepulsive & repulsive, he dwells experiencing repulsive disgust in it.
      If he wishes: May I dwell experiencing the unrepulsive in what is both
      unrepulsive & repulsive, he experiences only unrepulsive beauty by it!
      If he wishes: Avoiding both the repulsive and the unrepulsive, may I
      dwell in equanimity, just aware and clearly comprehending, then he
      dwells in equanimity, just aware and clearly comprehending. Or else,
      completely transcending of all experience of form, fully stilling any
      perception of sense-reaction, non attending to experience of any
      diversity, only aware that space is infinite, he enters and dwells in
      the realm of the infinitude of space... I tell you Bhikkhus for a wise
      Bhikkhu here, who has not penetrated yet to an even more superior
      mental release, this release of mind by pure, infinite & universal pity
      has the sphere of the infinitude of space as its culmination!

      Source of reference (edited extract):
      The Grouped Sayings of the Buddha. Samyutta Nikaya.
      Book [V: 115-21] 46: The Links. 54: Joined by Friendliness...

      PS: Please include the word Samahita in any comment, since then
      will my automatic mail filters pick it up and I will see it & respond!!

      Bhikkhu Samahita, Ceylon.
      Friendship is the Greatest ...
      Let there be Calm & Free Bliss !!!

      http://What-Buddha-Said.net
      Dhamma-Questions sent to my email are quite Welcome.