help...

  • Sherilyn Segal
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 15, 2006
      This might be a silly question, but I'm new to this, so please bear
      with me... can someone explain the difference betwwen Zen Buddhism and
      Tibetan? Many Thanks
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 16, 2006
        --- In Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com, "Sherilyn Segal"
        <thatmakeupgirl@...> wrote:

        > This might be a silly question, but I'm new to this, so please bear
        > with me... can someone explain the difference betwwen Zen Buddhism and
        > Tibetan? Many Thanks

        Dear Sherilyn,

        First of all welcome to the group and remember that no question when
        asked sincerely is "silly."

        Please do not take this in the wrong way but that would be like asking
        someone to explain the difference between a Baptist and a Roman
        Catholic. Obviously, they both believe in the same basic tenants, use
        the same basic holy texts, but they are otherwise worlds apart.

        Personally, I'm not sure that I am the best person to respond to this
        question. I'm sure there are others here mode adept than I in
        answering. I follow the Tibetan tradition because I can relate to many
        of the beliefs. Please understand, I do not agree 100% with many of
        the beliefs contained in the Tibetan tradition but the "atmosphere" is
        more suited to me than Zen even though there are many similarities.
        Sound confusing, I know. I've tried reading the Zen koans but they
        just don't "click" with me. I don't think this is making too much
        sense but I'm trying.

        Maybe this site can give you a general understanding of Zen

        http://www.eastern-philosophy-and-meditation.com/zen.html

        Basically, though, if you're interested in Buddhism I suggest you
        attend some services in both traditions to see the differences. I'm
        not the best to ask since I've never attended a Buddhist service (I
        know how odd that must sound; there are no Buddhist centers other than
        Zen in my area) but I "need" the offerings and rituals that Tibetan
        Buddhism requires. I love the music and the teaching tapes that I've
        listened to just ring true to me. I cannot say the same for all Zen
        (although I have several texts in my library).

        I'm truly sorry that I'm not expressing this very well so I'll stop
        here. I wish you the very best on your journey. Remember, the path may
        seem long and will twist and turn but eventually all Buddhism leads to
        the same ending.

        May all be at peace.

        John
      • Sean Lukens
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 18, 2006
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 21, 2006
            The short answer is that Zen is geared more toward full enlightenment
            in this incarnation, wheras Tibetan is more "rebirth." Both are
            beautiful. I'm sure someone can give you a more verbose answer. If I
            wasn't so tired, I'd get more technical.

            Thich Nhat Hanh is (for the most part)the spiritual figurehead of Zen,
            wheras the Dalai Lama is the Tibetan leader. I personally hold them
            both in highest regard and reverence.

            It might be good for you to use the pseudo-omniscient Google to look
            up "Zen" and "Tibetan Buddhism." Wikipedia can also give some good
            insight.

            Here are some links:

            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zen
            http://www.ibiblio.org/zen/faq.html
            http://www.tibet.com/Buddhism/index.html
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tibetan_Buddhism

            I strive to keep an open mind.
            Thank you so much for the question.

            -Christopher

            --- In Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com, Sean Lukens <seanlukens@...> wrote:

> [...]
          • l00pyl jones
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 22, 2006
              The short answer is that Zen is geared more toward full enlightenment
              in this incarnation, wheras Tibetan is more "rebirth." Both are
              beautiful. I'm sure someone can give you a more verbose answer. If I
              wasn't so tired, I'd get more technical.

              That is the second time I have heard that latley. It confuses me a little. Both are Mayhayana in scope which means the ultimate goal is to become a Buddha. And in Tibetan Buddhism there is the Vajrayana path which is ALL about enlightenment in this lifetime.
              As a matter of fact, Zen is more of a method that can be practiced by anyone from any spiritual path wheras Tibetan is more of a teaching tradition.

              Just my understanding so far. They are both after the same goal which is what matters anyways.

              Jim