Snow Lion's Dalai Lama Quote of the Week

  • Namdrol Tsepal
    Message 1 of 30 , Dec 2, 2003
      Tashi Deleg!

      Dalai Lama Quote of the Week

      I generally believe that every major religion has the potential for giving
      any human being good advice; there is no question that this is so. But we
      must always keep in mind that different individuals have different mental
      predispositions. This means that for some individuals one religious system
      or philosophy will be more suitable than another. The only way one can come
      to a proper conclusion as to what is most suitable for oneself is through
      comparative study. Hence, we look and study, and we find a teaching that is
      most suitable to our own taste.

      -- H.H. the Dalai Lama from Answers: Discussions with Western Buddhists,
      published by Snow Lion Publications.

      With Metta
      Namdrol Tsepal,
      Tenzin Drolkar,
      Analine Choong

      >From: Snow Lion Publications <weblion@...>
      >To: tenzin111@...
      >Subject: Snow Lion's Dalai Lama Quote of the Week
      >Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 15:59:23 -0500

      Take a break! Find destinations on MSN Travel. http://www.msn.com.sg/travel/
    • Namdrol Tsepal
      Message 2 of 30 , Feb 10, 2004
        Tashi Deleg!

        Something to share!

        With Metta
        Namdrol Tsepal

        Dalai Lama Quote of the Week

        In our approach to life, be it pragmatic or otherwise, a basic fact that
        confronts us squarely and unmistakably is the desire for peace, security and
        happiness. Different forms of life at different levels of existence make up
        the different levels of existence on this earth of ours. And no matter
        whether they belong to the higher groups such as human beings, or to the
        lower groups such as animals, all beings primarily seek peace, comfort and
        security. Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to a man. Even the
        lowliest insect strives for protection from dangers that threaten its life.
        Just as each one of us wants happiness and fears pain, just as each one of
        us wants to live and not to die, so do all the other creatures.

        -- His Holiness the Dalai Lama from The Heart of Compassion: A Practical
        Approach to a Meaningful Life, available from Snow Lion Publications

      • Namdrol Tsepal
        Message 3 of 30 , Feb 21, 2004
          Dalai Lama Quote of the Week

          In this world, just as there are many medicines for a particular disease, so
          there are many religious systems that serve as methods for achieving
          happiness for all sentient beings, human and otherwise. Though each of these
          systems has different modes of practice and different modes of expression, I
          think that they are all similar in that they improve the body, speech and
          mind of those who practice them, and in that they all have good aims. They
          are all similar in teaching that bad actions of speech, such as lying and
          divisiveness, and bad physical actions, such as stealing and killing, are
          improper.

          - His Holiness the Dalai Lama, from The Buddhism of Tibet, published by Snow
          Lion Publications.

          With Metta
          Namdrol Tsepal

          Keep track of Singapore & Malaysia stock prices.
          http://www.msn.com.sg/money/
        • Namdrol Tsepal

            Message 5 of 30 , Feb 29, 2004
              Dalai Lama Quote of the Week

              Bigger issues like overpopulation, environmental problems, and so forth are
              now beyond national boundaries. These are not questions of my nation's
              survival but of the survival of humanity. These bigger issues are our
              responsibility to tackle. Compared to these problems, small, small things
              within ourselves are minor. Once all the bigger issues are solved, then
              there will be time to discuss- even, if necessary, to quarrel- among
              ourselves concerning these small, small things.

              -- His Holiness the Dalai Lama from The Art of Peace: Nobel Peace Laureates
              discuss Human Rights, Conflict and Reconciliation

              With Metta
              Namdrol Tsepal

              Download games, logos, wallpapers and lots more at MSN Mobile!
              http://www.msn.com.sg/mobile/
            • Namdrol Tsepal
              Message 6 of 30 , Mar 6, 2004
                Dalai Lama Quote of the Week

                Let's say that I compare myself to an insect. I am a follower of the Buddha,
                and a human being equipped with the capacity to think and, supposedly, to be
                able to judge between right and wrong. I am also supposed to have some
                knowledge of the fundamental teachings of the Buddha, and theoretically I am
                committed to these practices. Yet when I find certain negative tendencies
                arising in me, or when I carry out negative actions on the basis of these
                impulses, then from that point of view there is certainly a case to be made
                that I am in some ways inferior to the insect. After all, an insect is not
                able to judge between right and wrong in the way humans can, it has no
                capacity to think in a long-term way and is unable to understand the
                intricacies of spiritual teachings, so from the Buddhist point of view,
                whatever an insect does is the result of habituation and karma. By
                comparison, human beings have the ability to determine what they do. If,
                despite this, we act negati! vely then it could be argued that we are
                inferior to that innocent insect! So when you think along these lines, there
                are genuine grounds for seeing ourselves as inferior to all other sentient
                beings.

                -- His Holiness the Dalai Lama, from Transforming the Mind: Teachings on
                Generating Compassion, available from Snow Lion Publications.

              • Namdrol Tsepal
                Message 7 of 30 , Mar 14, 2004
                  Dalai Lama Quote of the Week

                  When we speak of mental awareness, it does not always refer only to the
                  subtle awarenss. From the time of conception to the time of death, the body
                  is obviously functioning in some way, but when the body ceases to function
                  as a body, there is still a very subtle form of consciousness and that is
                  independent of the body. The fact that the body is able to act as a basis
                  for mental events is dependent on the pre-existence of a subtle form of
                  conciousness.

                  -- His Holiness the Dalai Lama, from Consciousness at the Crossroads:
                  Conversations with the Dalai Lama on Brain Science and Buddhism, published
                  by Snow Lion Publications.

                  Namdrol Tsepal

                  Message 8 of 30 , Mar 20, 2004
                    Dalai Lama Quote of the Week

                    THE IMPORTANCE OF BODHICITTA
                    The highest perfection of altruism, the ultimate altruism, is bodhicitta
                    complemented by wisdom. Bodhicitta- the aspiration to bring about the
                    welfare of all sentient beings and to attain buddhahood for their sake- is
                    really the distilled essence, the squeezed juice, of all the Buddha's
                    teachings, because ultimately, the Buddha's intention is to lead all
                    sentient beings to perfect enlightenment, complete omniscience. Since it is
                    bodhicitta that determines whether or not our practice becomes the path to
                    enlightenment, bodhicitta is truly the heart essence of all the teachings of
                    the Buddha. Thus, all 84,000 discourses of the Buddha can be seen as either
                    preliminary to the practice of bodhicitta, the actual practice of
                    bodhicitta, or precepts and activities in which we must engage as a result
                    of taking the bodhicitta pledge.

                    -- His Holiness the Dalai Lama from Illuminating the Path to Enlightenment,
                    available free with your next purchase from Snow Lion Publications.

                    Tashi Deleg
                    Namdrol Tsepal

                    Find gifts, buy online with MSN Shopping. http://shopping.msn.com.sg/
                  • Namdrol Tsepal
                    Message 9 of 30 , Apr 25 7:47 AM
                      Dalai Lama Quote of the Week

                      The root of all the vows for laypersons and for monks and nuns is the ethics
                      of the abandonment of the non-virtues. Three physical actions (killing,
                      stealing, and sexual misconduct), four verbal actions, (lying, divisive
                      talk, harsh speech, and senseless chatter), and three mental actions
                      (covetousness, harmful intent, and wrong views) are to be abandoned.

                      -- His Holiness the Dalai Lama, from The Dalai Lama at Harvard: Lectures on
                      the Buddhist Path to Peace, published by Snow Lion Publications.

                      Message 10 of 30 , Aug 7, 2004
                        Dalai Lama Quote of the Week

                        A great deal of our suffering comes from having too many thoughts. And, at
                        the same time, the way we think is not sane. We are only concerned by our
                        immediate satisfaction and forget to measure its long-term advantages and
                        disadvantages, either for ourselves or for others. But such an attitude
                        always goes against us in the end. There is no doubt that by changing our
                        way of seeing things we could reduce our current difficulties and avoid
                        creating new ones.

                        -- His Holiness the Dalai Lama from 365 Dalai Lama: Daily Advice from the
                        Heart, available from Snow Lion Publications.

                        Tashi Deleg
                        Namdrol Tsepal

                        Preview the new MSN Search with MSN Search Tech Preview.
                        http://techpreview.search.msn.com.sg/
                      • nancy lemke
                        Message 11 of 30 , Aug 7, 2004
                          ---
                          this hits home....namaste, nancy

                          Message 12 of 30 , Aug 26, 2004
                            Dalai Lama Quote of the Week

                            Now in our day-to-day lives we know that the more stable, calm and contented
                            our mind is, the more feelings and experiences of happiness we will derive
                            from it. The more undisciplined, untrained, and negative our mind is, the
                            more we suffer mentally, and physically as well. So we can see only too well
                            that a disciplined and contented mind is the source of our happiness.

                            -- His Holiness the Dalai Lama from Dzogchen: The Heart Essence of the Great
                            Perfection, published by Snow Lion Publications

                            Tashi Deleg
                            Namdrol Tsepal

                            Fast. Clear. Easy. The new MSN Search. http://search.msn.com.sg/
                          • Namdrol Tsepal
                            Message 13 of 30 , Aug 31, 2004
                              Dalai Lama Quote of the Week

                              It is very important to understand the context of the Buddhist emphasis on
                              recognizing that we are all in a state of suffering, otherwise there is a
                              danger we could misunderstand the Buddhist outlook, and think that it
                              involves rather morbid thinking, a basic pessimism and almost an
                              obsessiveness about the reality of suffering. The reason why Buddha laid so
                              much emphasis on developing insight into the nature of suffering is because
                              there is an alternative - there is a way out, it is actually possible to
                              free oneself from it. This is why it is so crucial to realize the nature of
                              suffering, because the stronger and deeper your insight into suffering is,
                              the stronger your aspiration to gain freedom from it becomes. So the
                              Buddhist emphasis on the nature of suffering should be seen within this
                              wider perspective, where there is an appreciation of the possibility of
                              complete freedom from suffering. If we had no concept of liberation, then to
                              spend so much time reflecting on suf! fering would be utterly pointless.

                              -- His Holiness the Dalai Lama from The Dalai Lama's Book of Awakening,
                              available from Snow Lion Publications.

                              Tashi Deleg
                              Namdrol Tsepal

                              Find it on the web with MSN Search. http://search.msn.com.sg/
                            • Namdrol Tsepal
                              Message 14 of 30 , Oct 23, 2004
                                Dalai Lama Quote of the Week

                                Like yourself, everyone else from their own side equally does not want
                                suffering and equally wants happiness. For example, among ten ill people,
                                each of them just wants happiness; from their side they are all ill, and
                                they all want to be freed from their illness. Hence there is no possible
                                reason for making a biased exception, treating a certain one better and
                                neglecting the others. It is impossible to select one out for better
                                treatment. Moreover, from your own viewpoint, all sentient beings, in terms
                                of their connection with you over the course of lifetimes, have in the past
                                helped you and in the future will help again. Thus, you also cannot find any
                                reason from your own side to treat some better and others worse.

                                Message 15 of 30 , Oct 24, 2004
                                  ---
                                  no matter what circumstances people are in everyone wants happiness.
                                  it is important to treat others equally a goal i strive to achieve.
                                  it is not always easy though. namaste, vishaka

                                  Message 16 of 30 , Oct 27, 2004
                                    Dalai Lama Quote of the Week

                                    When we practice, initially, as a basis we control ourselves, stopping the
                                    bad actions which hurt others as much as we can. This is defensive. After
                                    that, when we develop certain qualifications, then as an active goal we
                                    should help others. In the first stage, sometimes we need isolation while
                                    pursuing our own inner development; however, after you have some confidence,
                                    some strength, you must remain with, contact, and serve society in any
                                    field-health, education, politics, or whatever.

                                    -- His Holiness the Dalai Lama from Kindness, Clarity and Insight, published
                                    by Snow Lion Publications.

                                    Message 17 of 30 , Oct 27, 2004
                                      ---
                                      this sounds great..but, what happens when you are trying hard to show
                                      compassion, and be a caring person and the other party takes
                                      everything you say and do the wrong way? how should we handle this?
                                      i recently had a situation like this and i backed out...! namaste,
                                      vishaka

                                    • vorian@mail.com
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Oct 28, 2004
                                        Don't force it, Nancy, unless your willing to take the time and trouble. It's enough that you keep the compassion in your heart. Sometimes, people would rather suffer. I think they would rather feel bad than not feel at all.
                                        A person can attach to their problems as well as to their happinesses. Buddhism shows us that life contains both and that it's not the failures and victories that are the problem, it's the attachment to them that causes our downfall.

                                        From: "nancy lemke" <richardlemke@...>
                                        To: Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com
                                        Subject: [Buddhism_101] Re: Snow Lion's Dalai Lama Quote of the Week
                                        Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 00:56:26 -0000

                                        > ---
                                        > this sounds great..but, what happens when you are trying hard to show
                                        > compassion, and be a caring person and the other party takes
                                        > everything you say and do the wrong way? how should we handle this?
                                        > i recently had a situation like this and i backed out...! namaste,
                                        > vishaka
                                        >
                                        > In Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com, "Namdrol Tsepal" <tenzin111@h...>
                                        > wrote:
                                        > > Dalai Lama Quote of the Week
                                        > >

                                        > > When we practice, initially, as a basis we control ourselves,
                                        > stopping the
                                        > > bad actions which hurt others as much as we can. This is defensive.
                                        > After
                                        > > that, when we develop certain qualifications, then as an active
                                        > goal we
                                        > > should help others. In the first stage, sometimes we need isolation
                                        > while
                                        > > pursuing our own inner development; however, after you have some
                                        > confidence,
                                        > > some strength, you must remain with, contact, and serve society in
                                        > any
                                        > > field-health, education, politics, or whatever.
                                        > >
                                        > > -- His Holiness the Dalai Lama from Kindness, Clarity and Insight,
                                        > published
                                        > > by Snow Lion Publications.

                                        > > Keep track of Singapore & Malaysia stock prices.
                                        > > http://www.msn.com.sg/money/

                                        *************************************
                                        "In 2008, Beijing will host the Olympic Games,
                                        Do you know that, in China, thousands of prisoners condemned to death are killed in
                                        those [sports] stadiums? And you - will you applaud the massacre?"
                                      • catgirl
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Oct 28, 2004
                                          Ken,
                                          What a very telling statement and one I've never realized before.  I suffer from chronic depression and that makes me wonder if I'm attached to the depression--probably so.  I'm hoping that with meditation and the study and practice of Buddhism, I can leave this disease behind.

                                          Tamara,
                                          NC, USA
                                          "There Are Angels Among Us.  One Of Them May Be The Little Cat At Your Door.
                                          Take It In.  Feed It.  Love It.  And You Will Know The Purpose Of God."
                                          --A Tribute by Chere to Ms. Slippers and Darling Raven
                                          Sometimes, people would rather suffer. I think they would rather feel bad than not feel at all.
                                          A person can attach to their problems as well as to their happinesses. Buddhism shows us that life contains both and that it's not the failures and victories that are the problem, it's the attachment to them that causes our downfall.
                                          Ken/

                                        • vorian@mail.com
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Oct 28, 2004
                                            My best wishes to you, Tamara.
                                            Make sure that your depression is not clinical. Chemical imbalances in the body and brain are often causes of depression. Many times this can be helped holistically, but that's for someone with more knowledge than I to say. Learning and practicing calm abiding and insight meditations, can be of help, but the best way to get it is to not work for it. Simply, meditate. Start with a Shamatha (Samadhi, Shinay). And when you are comfortable with that, try Vipshayana (Vipassanna). It is best to find a teacher that will guide you through this.

                                            From: "catgirl" <savepaws@...>
                                            To: <Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com>
                                            Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 11:12:04 -0400

                                            *************************************
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Oct 28, 2004
                                              ---
                                              ah ken, i believe you are so right about attachment. i am too
                                              attached to this person for my own good. i am working on letting it
                                              go way far away from me. hahah..what i mean though is i realize that
                                              i am too attached to this person and i am working and praying and
                                              meditating on letting it go and become unattached to this person. my
                                              feelings get in the way due to my attachment and that is not good for
                                              me or them. space and time and my active meditation and prayers will
                                              take care of it i hope. thanks,,,you hit the nail on the head for
                                              me. namaste, vishaka

                                            • Kindnsruls@aol.com
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Oct 29, 2004
                                                <<this sounds great..but, what happens when you are trying hard to show
                                                compassion, and be a caring person and the other party takes
                                                everything you say and do the wrong way?  how should we handle this?
                                                i recently had a situation like this and i backed out...! namaste,
                                                vishaka>>

                                                This is a very good question Nancy......and you took the correct action.

                                                His Holiness himself recommends that if words are becoming heated or causing agitation it is best to "back off". Perhaps another opportunity will arise for calm discourse...perhaps not...... but either way nothing will be accomplished while intense emotions are involved so it is best to walk away for a time.....especially if we ourselves are becoming agitated.

                                                His Holiness has also said on many occasions that to solve one problem by creating another is not a solution.

                                                Along with the desire to share what we learn and experience comes the responsibility to develop Skillful Means by which to do so.
                                                This relates to sharing Dharma in a manner of knowing what a person can/will "hear" and speaking accordingly....knowing when to speak this...and also "letting go" of our own self cherishing....our own need....our own desire to be heard.....even when we believe it is for someone elses "own good." We can't walk path for another being......and causing agitation in their mind is not helpful nor will it cause any kind of clarity or comprehension.
                                                Sometimes to be of service requires selfless action like allowing another to be right where they are without imposing our own need to see them "get" what we are saying or trying to "fix" their view.
                                                Sometimes an exchange like you mention will cause the other person to contemplate later what has been said.... there is no way to know.....perhaps we have succeeded in sparking some awareness or perhaps we have only succeeded in causing anger and resistance.
                                                There is no way to know with certainty unless we are highly realized ourselves......a Buddha, Bodhisattva or Lama might be able to discern this.....but it is a pretty safe bet that while we may believe we have an idea....for us at this stage of our development......we cannot truly know the mind of another.
                                                What we can do is exhibit the effect of Dharma on the mindstream if this is where we ourselves are.
                                                We can be calm and not allow anger to creep into the words and actions being heard/observed by this other person.
                                                Now rather than engaging in a possibly escalating "discussion" we are more likely to cause them to question how and why it is we remained calm and composed....remained "seated"...how/why it is that our own balance does not seem to depend on their "getting" what it is we are trying to say...our own "winning" of the argument....and this thought from their own mind....the thought that "I would like to be more like that."....will accomplish much more deeply what our words could not.

                                                We have to aknowledge that every human being is exactly where they are due to their own causes and conditions and all are learning as they go with Ultimate precision.

                                                If someone cannot "hear" us......well......perhaps we should not be speaking. :)

                                                        Joyce

                                                When in the body of a donkey......
                                                Learn to enjoy the taste of grass. :)

                                                *Old Tibetan Saying
                                              • Namdrol Tsepal
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Nov 2, 2004
                                                  Dalai Lama Quote of the Week

                                                  Many people who approach the practice of Buddhism are willing to sacrifice
                                                  one or two hours of their day in order to perform some ritual practice or
                                                  engage in meditation. Time is relatively easy to give up, even though their
                                                  life may be very busy. But, they are not willing to change anything of their
                                                  personality - they are not willing to forgo anything of their negative
                                                  character. With this type of approach to Buddhism, it hardly matters how
                                                  much meditation we do, our practice remains merely a hobby or a sport. It
                                                  does not touch our lives. In order actually to overcome our problems, we
                                                  have to be willing to change - namely to change our personality. We need to
                                                  renounce and rid ourselves of those negative aspects of it that are causing
                                                  us so much trouble.

                                                  -- from The Gelug/Kagyu Tradition of Mahamudra by H.H. the Dalai Lama &
                                                  Alexander Berzin, published by Snow Lion Publications

                                                  Fast. Clear. Easy. The new face of MSN Search. http://search.msn.com.sg/
                                                • Namdrol Tsepal
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Nov 18, 2004
                                                    Dalai Lama Quote of the Week

                                                    Mere belief in a source of refuge is not firm; unless there is valid
                                                    cognition, you are going only on the assertion that Buddhism is good. Refuge
                                                    is not an act of partisanship but is based on analysing what scriptures are
                                                    reasonable and what scriptures are not. In order for the mind to engage
                                                    one-pointedly in practice, there must be reasoned conviction that only the
                                                    Buddhist path is non-mistaken and capable of leading to the state of
                                                    complete freedom from defects and possession of all auspicious attainments.
                                                    One should engage in honest investigation, avoiding desire and hatred and
                                                    seeking the teaching that sets forth the means for fulfilling the aims of
                                                    trainees.

                                                    -- His Holiness the Dalai Lama from Tantra in Tibet, trans. & ed. by Jeffrey
                                                    Hopkins, published by Snow Lion Publications.

                                                    Download MSN Messenger emoticons and display pictures.
                                                    http://ilovemessenger.msn.com/?mkt=en-sg
                                                  • Namdrol Tsepal
                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Dec 28, 2004
                                                      Dalai Lama Quote of the Week

                                                      Karma has four main characteristics. The first is its increasing effect:
                                                      goodness heralds further goodness and evil heralds further evil. Secondly,
                                                      karma is definite: in the long run, goodness always produces joy and
                                                      negativity always produces suffering. Thirdly, one never experiences a joy
                                                      or sorrow that does not have an according karmic cause. And lastly, the
                                                      karmic seeds that are placed on the mind at the time of an action will never
                                                      lose their potency even in a hundred million lifetimes, but will lie dormant
                                                      within the mind until one day the conditions that activate them appear.

                                                      -- His Holiness the Dalai Lama from The Path to Enlightenment, published by
                                                      Snow Lion Publications

                                                      Get cheap fares online with MSN Travel http://www.msn.com.sg/travel/
                                                    • Namdrol Tsepal
                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Jan 6, 2005
                                                        Dalai Lama Quote of the Week

                                                        I always explain that violence is not the human way. I believe that,
                                                        fundamentally, human nature is positive, gentle; therefore, the non-violent
                                                        way is the human way. Also, whatever result we achieve through non-violence
                                                        has no negative side effect. Through violence, even though we may get some
                                                        kind of satisfaction, negative side effects are also incurred. Then, most
                                                        importantly, whether we like it or not, we have to live side by side with
                                                        the Chinese; thus, in the long future, generation to generation, in order to
                                                        live happily, peacefully, it is extremely important, while we are carrying
                                                        on the struggle, to accord with the principle of non-violence.

                                                        -- from The Art of Peace: Nobel Peace Laureates discuss Human Rights,
                                                        Conflict and Reconciliation, published by Snow Lion Publications

                                                        December 10 is Human Rights

                                                        Get an advanced look at the new version of MSN Messenger.
                                                        http://messenger.msn.com.sg/Beta/Default.aspx
                                                      • Namdrol Tsepal
                                                        Message 27 of 30 , Jan 19, 2005
                                                          Dalai Lama Quote of the Week

                                                          One difference between the destructive, negative emotions on the one side
                                                          and constructive, positive emotions on the other is that constructive,
                                                          positive emotions have a strong grounding in valid experience and reasoning.
                                                          In fact, the more we analyze these positive emotions, the more they are
                                                          enhanced. Negative, afflictive emotions, by contrast, are usually quite
                                                          superficial. They have no grounding in reason and often arise out of habit
                                                          rather than reasoned thought processes.

                                                          -- His Holiness the Dalai Lama from Illuminating the Path to Enlightenment,
                                                          available free with your next order from Snow Lion Publications, courtesy of
                                                          Lama Yeshe Wisdom Archive.

                                                          Message 28 of 30 , Feb 16, 2005
                                                            Dalai Lama Quote of the Week

                                                            Question: How do things exist if they are empty of inherent existence?

                                                            His Holiness: The doctrines of emptiness and selflessness do not imply the
                                                            non-existence of things. Things do exist. When we say that all phenomena are
                                                            void of self-existence, it does not mean that we are advocating
                                                            non-existence, that we are repudiating that things exist. Then what is it we
                                                            are negating? We are negating, or denying, that anything exists from its own
                                                            side without depending on other things. Hence, it is because things depend
                                                            for their existence upon other causes and conditions that they are said to
                                                            lack independent self-existence.

                                                            Message 29 of 30 , Mar 16, 2005
                                                              Dalai Lama Quote of the Week
                                                              The essence of dharma practice is to bring about a discipline within the
                                                              mind, a state of mind free of hatred, lust and harmful intentions. Hence the
                                                              entire message of the buddhadharma could be summed up in two succinct
                                                              statements: "Help others," and "If you cannot help them, at least do not
                                                              harm others." It is a grave error to think that apart from such a
                                                              disciplining of the physical and mental faculties there is something else
                                                              called "the practice of dharma." Various, and in some cases divergent,
                                                              methods to achieve such an inner discipline have been taught in the
                                                              scriptures by the Buddha.
                                                              -- His Holiness the Dalai Lama from The Path to Bliss, published by Snow
                                                              Lion Publications.

                                                              Everything that we see around us is seen as it is because we have repeatedly
                                                              solidified our experience of inner and outer reality in the same way,
                                                              lifetime after lifetime, and this has led to the mistaken assumption that
                                                              what we see is objectively real. In fact, as we go further along the
                                                              spiritual path, we learn how to work directly with our fixed perceptions.
                                                              All our old concepts of the world or of matter or of even ourselves are
                                                              purified and dissolved, and an entirely new, what you could call �heavenly�
                                                              field of vision and perception opens up. As William Blake said:

                                                              If the doors of perception were cleansed
                                                              Everything would appear . . . as it is, infinite.

                                                              Sogyal Rinpoche

                                                              Find just what you are after with the more precise, more powerful new MSN
                                                              Search. http://search.msn.com.sg/ Try it now.