The Final Goal ... !!!

  • Bhikkhu Samahita
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2006

      Friends:

      What is the Final Goal and Destination of the Noble Life?

      The wanderer Nandiya once asked the Blessed One:
      Which things, Master Gotama, when developed and refined, lead to Nibbāna,
      have Nibbāna as their end destination, have Nibbāna as their final goal?
      These eight things, Nandiya, when developed and refined lead to Nibbāna, have
      Nibbāna as their last destination, have Nibbāna as their final goal. Which eight?

      Right View  (sammā-ditthi)
      Right Motivation  (sammā-sankappa)
      Right Speech  (sammā-vācā)
      Right Action  (sammā-kammanta)
      Right Livelihood  (sammā-ājīva)
      Right Effort  (sammā-vāyāma)
      Right Awareness  (sammā-sati)
      Right Concentration  (sammā-samādhi)

      These eight things, Nandiya, when developed and refined, lead to Nibbāna,
      have Nibbāna as their target, Nibbāna as their final aim!
      When this was thus spoken, the wanderer Nandiya said to the Blessed One:
      Magnificent, Master Gotama! Marvellous, Master Gotama! Let the Master
      Gotama remember me as one, who has taken refuge in the Buddha for lifeā€¦

      Source (edited extract):
      The Grouped Sayings of the Buddha. Samyutta Nikaya.
      Book [V:11-2] section 45:10 Nandiya ...

      http://www.pariyatti.com/book.cgi?prod_id=948507
      http://www.accesstoinsight.org/canon/samyutta/index.html

      PS: Please include the word Samahita in any comment, since then
      will my automatic mail filters pick it up and I will see it & respond!!

       Bhikkhu Samahita, Sri Lanka.

       Friendship is the Greatest ...
       Let there be Calm & Free Bliss !!!

      http://What-Buddha-Said.net
       Dhamma-Questions sent to my email are quite Welcome.