Re: [Buddhism_101] Re: new member

  • Ken/
    Message 1 of 33 , Apr 1, 2006
      Nellie, welcome. I hope my 2 cents will help:

      Buddhism, especially from a western viewpoint, can be
      taken as a philosophy or a religion. You do not have
      to accept all of the tennants of the religion, if you
      don't feel they work for you. It is a great way to
      aline your life, though. Many people combine their
      personal religions with Buddhist ideas, and have done
      so, over the ages.
      Buddhism, also, is not anti God, It is neither
      theistic nor atheistic nor agnostic (You can be any of
      these, though.). It is called non-theistic. The
      teachings of the Buddha give very few words to the
      existance (or non-existance) of a supreme entity at
      all. In fact, (according to the scriptures) the Buddha
      only once or twice even gave answers to questions on
      the subject and they were vague. Most statements on
      the existance of a God are from others and, as with
      all Buddhist pronouncements (according to the Buddha's
      own teachings), they can be taken or not.
      Now, there are entities who are called gods. They are
      not what the person of Jewish, or Christian, faith
      would call a god, though. I have trouble with the
      semantics, here.
      Perhaps, explain (for now) to your daughter that
      Buddhism is a way to practice your life that is intent
      on helping others. Allow her to experience her
      Judaism, also. There is time, enough, later for her to
      make up her own mind as she gets older.

      Ken/

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Ken M
      Message 33 of 33 , Mar 3, 2014
        Hi Glyn. Any info would depend on where you live and the style of Buddhism you prefer to practice. There are Buddhist centers, that offer retreats, all over this country (US) and most others. Welcome, to the group.
        Ken M/

        Resistance is futile. Prepare to be assimilated.
        ~ The Borg ~

        To: Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com
        From: glynkerr@...
        Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2014 13:15:35 +0000
        Subject: [Buddhism_101] new member

        Hi

        I thought I would introduce myself.

        My name is Glyn and I have been practising Buddhism for approximately five years. I would be interested if anyone has information about retreats or programmes where I can widen my knowledge and practice of Buddhism.

        Look forward to hearing from anyone

        Glyn