New Member

  • djackson21702
    Message 1 of 29 , Nov 13, 2003
      Hello to all of you. I have recently joined this group and I am
      looking forward to meeting and getting to know you all. I am
      relatively new to Buddhism and have found your previous posts
      enjoyable and informative. Thank you.

      Damien
    • Nicolette
      Message 2 of 29 , Mar 26, 2004
        I am new to this group and to learning about and practicing
        Buddhism. I look forward to learning from others in this group and
        sharing my experiences as well.

        Nicolette
      • Dave C
        Message 3 of 29 , Mar 26, 2004
          Hello Nicolette
          My name is Dave. I am also new to this group. I
          am particularly interested in learning more about
          Tibetian Buddhism.
          Dave

          --- Nicolette <swtncl@...> wrote:
          > I am new to this group and to learning about
          > and practicing
          > Buddhism. I look forward to learning from
          > others in this group and
          > sharing my experiences as well.
          >
          > Nicolette

          =====
          Nam Myoho Renge Kyo
        • vorian@mail.com
          Message 4 of 29 , Mar 26, 2004
            Welcome aboard, Nicolette. Sometimes it gets a little quiet, here. Don't let that stop you from asking questions or posting opinions.
            From: "Nicolette" <swtncl@...>
            Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 14:30:56 -0000
            To: Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com
            Subject: [Buddhism_101] New Member

          • vorian@mail.com
            Message 5 of 29 , Mar 26, 2004
              Hey, Dave. Ditto to you. Hope this is what your looking for.
              From: Dave C <davec50@...>
              Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 13:51:42 -0800 (PST)
              To: Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com
              Subject: Re: [Buddhism_101] New Member

              > Hello Nicolette
              > My name is Dave. I am also new to this group. I
              > am particularly interested in learning more about
              > Tibetian Buddhism.
              > Dave
              >
              > --- Nicolette <swtncl@...> wrote:
              > > I am new to this group and to learning about
              > > and practicing
              > > Buddhism. I look forward to learning from
              > > others in this group and
              > > sharing my experiences as well.
              > >
              > > Nicolette

              > =====
              > Nam Myoho Renge Kyo
            • Martyn Clayton
              Message 6 of 29 , Mar 28, 2004
                Hi Nicolette

                I'm fairly new as well. I'm Martyn in England. I've had an interest in
                Buddhism since my late teens but have never got much further than dipping my
                toe. Now I want to find out more and to begin to practice.

                Martyn
                > My name is Dave. I am also new to this group. I
                > am particularly interested in learning more about
                > Tibetian Buddhism.
                > Dave
                >
                > --- Nicolette <swtncl@...> wrote:
                > > I am new to this group and to learning about
                > > and practicing
                > > Buddhism. I look forward to learning from
                > > others in this group and
                > > sharing my experiences as well.
                > >
                > > Nicolette

                > =====
                > Nam Myoho Renge Kyo
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Athlon
                Message 7 of 29 , Apr 7, 2004
                  Good Morning....

                  I am also new to Buddhism....wanted to gain knowledge...lets research
                  together. Get at me when you have a chance.

                  Athlon

                  --- In Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com, "Nicolette" <swtncl@e...> wrote:
                  > I am new to this group and to learning about and practicing
                  > Buddhism. I look forward to learning from others in this group and
                  > sharing my experiences as well.
                  >
                  > Nicolette
                • Karen
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jan 12, 2005
                    Hi - I don't even really know what this group is all about yet, but
                    from the name alone, Buddhism 101 seems to be exactly what I need.
                    I grew up in a home where we didn't talk about religion at all, but
                    we had this sort of unspoken understanding that we
                    were "Christian." For about 2 years I've been reading a lot about
                    Buddhism, but I do not attend a temple or a group, since I live in a
                    fairly small town. So my practice is completely self-driven, other
                    than a couple of online groups that I belong to, who are my virtual
                    Sangha!

                    My question to any of you who care to reply is:
                    How do you meditate? Have you set up a special area of your home?
                    How do you prepare to meditate? How do you maintain your focus?
                    And by this I don't mean "how do you do it because I have no idea",
                    I mean, I'm wanting to explore how others do it! :)

                    For myself, I must be alone, without any distraction, because I VERY
                    easily lose focus. I like to sit on the floor, with my back up
                    against a wall. I light a candle and turn all other lights off. I
                    don't usually know what I am going to "meditate on" before I begin --
                    I just sort of let my mind drift until I determine a focus. That's
                    sort of where my trouble begins, though. If I'm meditating on the
                    suffering of the homeless people in town, I start thinking about a
                    particular person, and I try to visualize him or her. Then I soon
                    realize that I don't really know what that person looks like so I
                    feel like I shouldn't bother trying to visualize them after all. . .
                    then I think about how difficult it must be to stay warm and dry at
                    this time of year, and then I start thinking about donating some
                    blankets and warm clothing, which leads to thinking, well, WHICH
                    ones would I donate? Then I start taking an inventory of my linen
                    closet, which leads to my thinking that I really need to get another
                    shelf in there, or. . .you know what I mean? My concern for
                    homeless people ends up with me thinking about new shelving??
                    What's my problem???
                    Anyway, thanks for listening! Looking forward to some good
                    conversation here.

                    Karen
                  • Richard Kung
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jan 12, 2005
                      Dear Sister Karen,

                      Welcome to this group.

                      There are several good buddhism site talking about practising meditation.
                      Following link is a good one and you can ask about your problems.

                      Wishing you well and peace on your journey,

                      With my palms together,
                      Richard

                      Karen <buddhamama_kb@...> wrote:

[...]

                    • Scott Meeker
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jan 13, 2005
                        Welcome!
                        I'm very new as well.
                        I've been reading a few books; "Buddhism for Dummies"
                        and "Living Dharma". In one of those books they
                        indicate that it is best to focus on a simple object
                        or thought while beginning the practice of meditation.
                        I do what you do, in that I absolutely need complete
                        silence and to be in a place with the least amount of
                        disturbance. I try to focus on something simple like a
                        color, or something more ethereal, like what my face
                        looked like before my parents were born. That's where
                        I start. I'm developing sounds through the magic of
                        computers to concentrate on as well, some of them
                        help. Good luck in your endeavors, and once again,
                        welcome. This group has been very helpful for me in my
                        struggles. Let us know what you need. Everyone here is
                        really cool.
                        --- Karen <buddhamama_kb@...> wrote:

                        > Hi - I don't even really know what this group is all
                        > about yet, but
                        > from the name alone, Buddhism 101 seems to be
                        > exactly what I need.
                        > I grew up in a home where we didn't talk about
                        > religion at all, but
                        > we had this sort of unspoken understanding that we
                        > were "Christian." For about 2 years I've been
                        > reading a lot about
                        > Buddhism, but I do not attend a temple or a group,
                        > since I live in a
                        > fairly small town. So my practice is completely
                        > self-driven, other
                        > than a couple of online groups that I belong to, who
                        > are my virtual
                        > Sangha!
                        >
                        > My question to any of you who care to reply is:
                        > How do you meditate? Have you set up a special area
                        > of your home?
                        > How do you prepare to meditate? How do you maintain
                        > your focus?
                        > And by this I don't mean "how do you do it because I
                        > have no idea",
                        > I mean, I'm wanting to explore how others do it! :)
                        >
                        > For myself, I must be alone, without any
                        > distraction, because I VERY
                        > easily lose focus. I like to sit on the floor, with
                        > my back up
                        > against a wall. I light a candle and turn all other
                        > lights off. I
                        > don't usually know what I am going to "meditate on"
                        > before I begin --
                        > I just sort of let my mind drift until I determine a
                        > focus. That's
                        > sort of where my trouble begins, though. If I'm
                        > meditating on the
                        > suffering of the homeless people in town, I start
                        > thinking about a
                        > particular person, and I try to visualize him or
                        > her. Then I soon
                        > realize that I don't really know what that person
                        > looks like so I
                        > feel like I shouldn't bother trying to visualize
                        > them after all. . .
                        > then I think about how difficult it must be to stay
                        > warm and dry at
                        > this time of year, and then I start thinking about
                        > donating some
                        > blankets and warm clothing, which leads to thinking,
                        > well, WHICH
                        > ones would I donate? Then I start taking an
                        > inventory of my linen
                        > closet, which leads to my thinking that I really
                        > need to get another
                        > shelf in there, or. . .you know what I mean? My
                        > concern for
                        > homeless people ends up with me thinking about new
                        > shelving??
                        > What's my problem???
                        > Anyway, thanks for listening! Looking forward to
                        > some good
                        > conversation here.
                        >
                        > Karen

                      • Shanna
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jan 13, 2005
                          Hello Karen, I'm kinda new to this group too, but I am in the same
                          situation that I live in a small town (sorta, sadly it's the 3rd
                          largest city in my state..) and there isn't a temple or center here
                          for me to go and be with other Buddhists and learn from a teacher. I
                          am learning on my own through the books I get and the different
                          sources on line. There are a lot of great sources too online, if you
                          ever have any questions.
                          I have 2 children, so finding time to meditate is hard. My son is `15
                          months and my daughter was just born on Dec. 5, 2004. So, things have
                          been very busy lately. Thank goodness she seems to enjoy sleeping
                          through the night almost, at least 4 hours during the night!! Anyway,
                          off topic.

                          I myself have a VERY hard time focusing on anything (obviously) and so
                          meditation for me is quite a pleasant experience. If you can find this
                          book by Thich Nhat Hanh entitled "The Wisdom of Thich Nhat Hanh" it
                          will give you a better idea of how to use meditation and mindfulness.
                          And the only place you'll get it is in the Out of Print sections of
                          Barnes and Noble.com and Amazon.com and if you know of any other book
                          sites or store where they sell out of print books. You can get it for
                          as cheap as 3.00 +s/h on Barnes and Noble. It's actually 4 of his
                          books in one, so it's worth it.

                          Anyway, since I started his book (I'm afraid my son found it and
                          decided it needed a bath, and I wasn't able to finish it, so now I
                          have to find another copy too!) when I meditate, I find a quiet spot
                          away from distraction. Sometimes I listen to some quiet, gentle music.
                          It's not always meditation music, sometimes it's just some nice cello
                          or violin, I especially enjoy the shakuhachi flute for that, and that
                          one eastern string instrument, can't think of the name..
                          Anyway, I first begin with my breath, breathing in and out, focusing
                          on the air entering my lungs, and then leaving my lungs, and I count
                          with my breath (In 1, out 1, in 2, out 2, etc. until 10, then I start
                          over) until I've kept the count for a while, then I move to watching
                          my breath, feeling it enter my nose, tickling the tip of my nose as
                          the air moves, just watching my breath without counting, and if I've
                          managed that, I move on to awareness of running thought i.e. I
                          recognize each though, realize it's just a thought, and let go of it.
                          Half the time I don't have the time to get to the last bit. But I try.
                          In fact, I would go meditate right now, since I just put michael down
                          for a nap, but it's time for my daughter alex to eat, so I need to go
                          wake her up.

                          Well, have a nice day.. write back soon.

                          Peace be with you,
                          Skye
                        • nancy lemke
                          Message 12 of 29 , Jan 15, 2005
                            ---
                            hi karen,,well, for me, with this busy house i live in i wait till
                            bedtime. as far as an alter.....i have a little one on our coffee
                            table to remind me of mindfullness,etc. during the day. that is made
                            from several buddhas i have collected and dorje bell and an african
                            violet plant. at night before i close my eyes for the sleeping i do
                            deep breathing, then i pray and then i meditate. i make sure the
                            entire body is relaxed then i ground myself. by this i mean i picture
                            myself going way down into the center of the earth and i groud myself
                            so i will be protected. then i place a white light around me also for
                            protection. then i vocus on the third eye and go deep into it and
                            that takes me on my meditation journey. eventually i will loose my
                            concentration and then i come too. after that i go to sleep. i have
                            been doing meditation for so many years it comes natural for me.
                            takes time to have the concentration. just be patient and if you
                            loose focus,,just bring yourself back to it. no worries! namaste,
                            vishaka

                            In Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com, "Karen" <buddhamama_kb@y...> wrote:

                            > Hi - I don't even really know what this group is all about yet, but
                            > from the name alone, Buddhism 101 seems to be exactly what I need.
                            > I grew up in a home where we didn't talk about religion at all, but
                            > we had this sort of unspoken understanding that we
                            > were "Christian." For about 2 years I've been reading a lot about
                            > Buddhism, but I do not attend a temple or a group, since I live in
                            > fairly small town. So my practice is completely self-driven, other
                            > than a couple of online groups that I belong to, who are my virtual
                            > Sangha!
                            >
                            > My question to any of you who care to reply is:
                            > How do you meditate? Have you set up a special area of your home?
                            > How do you prepare to meditate? How do you maintain your focus?
                            > And by this I don't mean "how do you do it because I have no idea",
                            > I mean, I'm wanting to explore how others do it! :)
                            >
                            > For myself, I must be alone, without any distraction, because I
                            VERY
                            > easily lose focus. I like to sit on the floor, with my back up
                            > against a wall. I light a candle and turn all other lights off. I
                            > don't usually know what I am going to "meditate on" before I begin -
                            -
                            > I just sort of let my mind drift until I determine a focus. That's
                            > sort of where my trouble begins, though. If I'm meditating on the
                            > suffering of the homeless people in town, I start thinking about a
                            > particular person, and I try to visualize him or her. Then I soon
                            > realize that I don't really know what that person looks like so I
                            > feel like I shouldn't bother trying to visualize them after
                            all. . .
                            > then I think about how difficult it must be to stay warm and dry at
                            > this time of year, and then I start thinking about donating some
                            > blankets and warm clothing, which leads to thinking, well, WHICH
                            > ones would I donate? Then I start taking an inventory of my linen
                            > closet, which leads to my thinking that I really need to get
                            another
                            > shelf in there, or. . .you know what I mean? My concern for
                            > homeless people ends up with me thinking about new shelving??
                            > What's my problem???
                            > Anyway, thanks for listening! Looking forward to some good
                            > conversation here.
                            >
                            > Karen
                          • nancy lemke
                            Message 13 of 29 , Jan 15, 2005
                              ---
                              i can tell you this site and the talks are terrific. namaste, vishaka

                              Service.
                            • hoyt_michelle
                              Message 14 of 29 , Sep 9, 2005
                                Hello Everyone:

                                I am a new member to this group. I have always been interested in
                                Buddhism. I am a devout Catholic,however, I also believe in
                                reincarnation and from time to time I do study the teachings of Buddah
                                and read several books on Buddhism. I do some meditation mostly praying
                                the Rosary and Novena prayers and some contemplative prayer and thinkg
                                about deep religous spiritually and great peace and contement and
                                enlightenment.

                                Michelle
                              • Lori
                                Message 15 of 29 , Sep 9, 2005
                                  --- In Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com, "hoyt_michelle"
                                  <hoyt_michelle@y...> wrote:
                                  > Hello Everyone:
                                  >
                                  > I am a new member to this group. I have always been interested in
                                  > Buddhism. I am a devout Catholic,however, I also believe in
                                  > reincarnation and from time to time I do study the teachings of
                                  Buddah
                                  > and read several books on Buddhism. I do some meditation mostly
                                  praying
                                  > the Rosary and Novena prayers and some contemplative prayer and
                                  thinkg
                                  > about deep religous spiritually and great peace and contement and
                                  > enlightenment.
                                  >
                                  > Michelle

                                  Hello Michelle, I'd been there where you're at. This is a wonderful
                                  little group, something new to absorb every day.

                                  Lori
                                • Jennifer Todd
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Mar 8, 2006
                                    Hi all! My name is Jenn, I am a 21 yr old Pegan from NE. I don't claim any specific religion but I had a b/f in the past who was Buddhist and have always agreed with most of the teachings. Hope to enjoy some good conversations with you!
                                    Jenn

                                    Yahoo! Mail
                                  • sanghatasutra02
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Mar 9, 2006
                                      --- In Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com, Jennifer Todd <vegi_babe@...>
                                      wrote:

                                      > Hi all! My name is Jenn, I am a 21 yr old Pegan from NE. I don't
                                      claim any specific religion but I had a b/f in the past who was
                                      Buddhist and have always agreed with most of the teachings. Hope to
                                      enjoy some good conversations with you!
                                      > Jenn

                                      Hi there Jenn, welcome!

                                      _()_
                                    • Robert
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Oct 18, 2007
                                        Namaste!

                                        My name is Robert, I'm 17 years old and am a neophyte Tibetan Buddhist.

                                        I hope to gain much knowledge from my membership here, and i hope to
                                        make many friends :)

                                        Thank you!
                                      • Sonny
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Dec 13, 2011
                                          I'm very happy to be a part of this group. I am new to Buddhist and have been really off my practice as of late. I would love to connect with people to keep me going.

                                          So far my practice comes from books I have read by Thich Nhat Hanh. Can't find a group here in virginia beach but I will continue to look

                                          Right now i spend most of my time with my blog. It has brought a new passion to me that is caring over to my Buddhism. Here is the lates post that might be of interests to the group

                                          http://phoenixpsbgbm.com/2011/12/13/its-the-christian-way/

                                          There is also a post called Punk Buddhist I think most would enjoy as well.
                                        • Jigme Choder
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Jan 9, 2013
                                            Hallo all! Came across this group via Google and found myself quoted here! So thought that rather than be quoted I may as well join in the malee *:) happy and speak for myself. Have been a Buddhist monk/priest or whatever term you wish to use, as long as it isn't to rude, for over 40 years, nominally Tibetan Buddhist but at this point rather more pan-Buddhist than anything. Anyhow, hope to make freinds and be of some help here by throwing in my half penny worth.

                                            Full handle is Kushog Pema Jigme Choder but I'm known as Jigme.
                                                                                                                                                                                  Jigme

                                            Message 21 of 29 , Jan 9, 2013
                                              Welcome to our group! In fact, thank you for coming.

                                              How should we address you (in an appropriately respectful manner)?

                                              On 01/09/2013 03:19 PM Jigme Choder wrote:
                                              > Hallo all! Came across this group via Google and found myself quoted
                                              > here! So thought that rather than be quoted I may as well join in the
                                              > malee *:) happy and speak for myself. Have been a Buddhist monk/priest
                                              > or whatever term you wish to use, as long as it isn't to rude, for over
                                              > 40 years, nominally Tibetan Buddhist but at this point rather more
                                              > pan-Buddhist than anything. Anyhow, hope to make freinds and be of some
                                              > help here by throwing in my half penny worth.
                                              > Full handle is Kushog Pema Jigme Choder but I'm known as Jigme.
                                              > Jigme
                                            • Jigme Choder
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Jan 9, 2013
                                                Hallo Ken! Thank you for the welcome, I am usually addressed as Jigme. If there are other Jigme's in the group, Tibetan names being somewhat limited, then Pema Jigme will do. As for respect I don't care about that sort of thing apart from the obvious - that we should all be civil to each other.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             Jigme
                                                Welcome to our group! In fact, thank you for coming.

                                                How should we address you (in an appropriately respectful manner)?

                                                On 01/09/2013 03:19 PM Jigme Choder wrote:
                                                > Hallo all! Came across this group via Google and found myself quoted
                                                > here! So thought that rather than be quoted I may as well join in the
                                                > malee *:) happy and speak for myself. Have been a Buddhist monk/priest
                                                > or whatever term you wish to use, as long as it isn't to rude, for over
                                                > 40 years, nominally Tibetan Buddhist but at this point rather more
                                                > pan-Buddhist than anything. Anyhow, hope to make freinds and be of some
                                                > help here by throwing in my half penny worth.
                                                > Full handle is Kushog Pema Jigme Choder but I'm known as Jigme.
                                                > Jigme

                                              • Ken/
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Jan 11, 2013
                                                  Hello, and welcome, Jigme. It will be good to have you with us. My name is also Ken. I sign my posts as Ken M/, in order to separate me from the owner - ken. My practice started in Thailand with monks there, back in the 1960's. I moved to Vajrayana after meeting His Emanence Garchen Rinpoche in 2004 and have practiced in the Drikung Kaygu lineage since. Rinpoche gave the name Konchog Legshe. I'll have to admit, that in the last few years I have not followed the practice very closely. Do to physical and logistical problems I have been away for a while. I expect to return to the Dharma center, soon, and I hoped this list (among others) would build my resolve.

                                                  Ken M/

                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Jan 13, 2013
                                                    Good morning, Jigme.

                                                    Welcome to the group and we look forward to your insights and contributions to the discussions in this group.

                                                    I do have an initial question. You state that you are nominally Tibetan Buddhist but at this time you are primarily pan-Buddhist. Just wondering how you would compare Pan-Buddhism to Rimé.  Are the two the same and/or how do they differ?

                                                    Nitya jaya mangalam!

                                                    John

                                                    Mind precedes all phenomena,
                                                    mind matters most, everything is mind-made.
                                                    If with an impure mind
                                                    one performs any action of speech or body,
                                                    then suffering will follow that person
                                                    as the cartwheel follows the foot of the ox.

                                                    Mind precedes all phenomena,
                                                    mind matters most, everything is mind-made.
                                                    If with a pure mind
                                                    one performs any action of speech or body,
                                                    then happiness will follow that person
                                                    as a shadow that never departs.

                                                    Dhammapada 1.1, 1.2

                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Jan 13, 2013

                                                      Hi Ken M/. Thank you for your welcome!
                                                      My initial teachers were Sri Lanken and Thai Bhiksu’s. I then met Chogyam Trungpa Rimpoche, purely by accident and, as a result, ended up at Samye-Ling in Scotland. He moved to America, as you know, I did too but to Berkeley California. From then on I only saw Trungpa Rimpoche twice, three times if you count his funeral, but, by then I had not spoken to him for a good 20-30 years.
                                                      You say : “I'll have to admit, that in the last few years I have not followed the practice very closely.” May I ask why? Curious about that remark because I am wondering what, at this point, you think of Tibetan Buddhism and Buddhism in the West.   Also I hope that your physical problems are not too great? And. Can I ask what Dharma center you are referring to?
                                                                                                                                Regards
                                                                                                                                     Jigme

                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Jan 13, 2013
                                                        Hallo John! I say that I am nominally Tibetan Buddhist because I was ordained as a Drugpa Kagyu monk although that is about it as far as Kagyu is concerned, I was taught Nyingma practice almost exclusively because that is where my teacher Trungpa Rimpoche’s sympathies, were and because for no discernible reason I was attracted to Guru Rimpoche. But initially I was, like Ken M/ a practitioner of Theravada and had been for quite a while before meeting Rimpoche. I have never really relinquished my Theravada roots but knowing a lot more than I did some 40 odd years ago I am rather more critical of their pretentions to being ‘original Buddhism’ and that sort of thing. I have also had extensive contact with Japanese Buddhism and Chinese Buddhism, a privilege of living in the San Francisco/Bay Area and so have taken a lot of their teachings on board. Therefore I am rather hard put to calling myself a proper Tibetan Buddhist. Also, as the years have gone by I have become rather skeptical about Tibetan Buddhism and, for that matter, Buddhism in general in the sense that there seem to me to be a lot of teachings that just seem to me to be plain false or at variance with what little we know about what Sakyamuni Buddha taught. So when I say ‘Pan-Buddhist I mean the search for understanding via all schools of Buddhism regardless of country of origin.

                                                        Rime, as you know, is not the same thing, that is a Tibetan Buddhist movement,an attempt to put coherence on the disparate teachings of the schools, as well as preserving teachings in danger of being lost. One, I think, should bear in mind the origins of Rime because it points toward a problematic past of violence and rivalry within Tibetan Buddhism, an unsavory past that Tibetans in the West are not that eager to discuss.

                                                        At this point, after 50 years of study I am far more concerned with what is useful for the West with regards to Buddhism and, frankly, rather indifferent to Buddhism in Asia. Buddhism, it seems to me to be as much a failure as Christianity. That is not to say that Buddhism or Christianity are useless but that we now live in an era where such monumental blocks of belief are a hindrance rather than a help to peace and progress. It is almost, I feel, where we are at the point where we need to brush conventional religions to one side and think for ourselves otherwise, as a species, we are never going to grow up.

                                                        I should explain that, I came to Buddhism via an experience. For me it was that Buddhism was an answer to that experience and therefore was satisfactory as a framework for practice. In short I decided on Buddhism in a very utilitarian way. Conviction does seem to be a comfort, but conviction in religion I have never had. On the other hand, it has been perhaps good that I do not have a terribly religious mind set because it has enabled me to be rather more clear seeing. Not doing religious fervor has enabled me to be rather more sensible about certain things. A remark I will not go into elaborating on at the moment. Let’s just say that it has enabled me to do “The boy stood on the burning deck whence all but he had fled;…” whilst others have been frantic as their illusions were crashing about them.
                                                                                                                                                                  Jigme

                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Jan 14, 2013
                                                          Good morning, Jigme.

                                                          I tend to agree with much of what you said.

                                                          The Dharma is the Dharma regardless as to whether one is Kagyu, Nyingma, Gelug, Palyul, Rimé, Ch'an, etc. so I respect and try to learn from all traditions and schools. For anyone to say that this tradition or school is a more pure form of Buddhism than that does a great disservice and smacks of elitism. If there are as is frequently stated 84000 Dharma Doors, disparaging one is disparaging them all. So, I read the suttas and the sutras, the commentaries and various texts by the masters be they Mahayana, Theravada, or Vajrayana. Some may feel that this mixing would muddy the water of the mind but, as the saying goes, if you leave the water alone it settles out and becomes clear. Maybe that's what we are supposed to do?

                                                          I do view with a degree of bewilderment the commercialism of contemporary Buddhism as I see in the West -- the so-called New Age beliefs. Some of these contemporary "teachers" in Western society I keep at arm's length but this is not a forum for dharma bashing. It is sufficient to say one need only read the Buddha's warning of the five kinds of false teachers (AN5.100.10). Perhaps this is merely indicative of these degenerative times and is to be expected.

                                                          I guess if one had to put a label on my practice it would be Eclectic Buddhist or is that a bit too vague? It is not a selective "pick and choose" practice but an inclusive one.

                                                          With deep respect,

                                                          John

                                                          Conviction is a person's highest wealth.
                                                          Dhamma, when well-practiced, brings bliss.
                                                          Truth is the highest of savors.
                                                          Living with discernment, one's life is called best.

                                                          (Sutta Nipata I,10)

                                                          Message 28 of 29 , Jan 14, 2013
                                                            Jigme,

                                                            You can call me Ken. ken, the owner, and I know the difference.

                                                            Nothing actually turned me away. More laziness and loss of commitment. I live some distance from my center (Gar Drolma Choling in Dayton, OH,     http://www.gardrolma.org ). I helped in the development of the center and was very happy with what had evolved, there. It has gotten even more active and larger since I had to leave. I left because I was unable to make the drive every week. My body suffers from Rheumatoid Arthritis, and it has taken some time to find efficient drugs to relieve the pain ( it never goes away). Tai Chi, Qi Kung, and meditation have been lifesavers in many ways. I miss the center and plan to return, soon. I have retired from work, so I will have the time to rest my body before the drive. Rinpoche visits the center about once a year and I plan to be there, then.
                                                            I do believe that Buddhism will eventually change, in the west, as it has done everywhere else it has established itself. I won't be here, then. For now I like the use of the deities in practice, and there are several chants that I use, according to the meditation, but primarily, my meditations are a study on the emptiness of all, and that has brought me much insight and comfort. Being a working person with a small farm, on the side, my time is limited and, as I don't move very fast, very often life interferes or should I say intervenes.
                                                            It was very auspicious that you were able to study under Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche. Garchen Rinpoche told me once that he had met all of his students in previous lives. That's why they were with him in this one.  His purpose in this one was as a teacher and a symbol.

                                                            Ken M/

                                                            Message 29 of 29 , Aug 8, 2014
                                                            Greetings,
                                                            I am a new member.
                                                            I am sending some pictures from my collection.
                                                            Peace,
                                                            Alan