RE: Rigpa Glimpse of the Day

  • Namdrol Tsepal
    Message 1 of 921 , Feb 1, 2006
      One method of meditation that many people find useful is to rest the mind
      lightly on an object. You can use an object of natural beauty that invokes a
      special feeling of inspiration for you, such as a flower or a crystal. But
      something that embodies the truth, such as an image of Buddha, or Christ, or
      particularly your master, is even more powerful.

      Your master is your living link with the truth, and because of your personal
      connection to your master, just seeing his or her face connects you to the
      inspiration and truth of your own nature.

      Sogyal Rinpoche

      Imagine a person who suddenly wakes up in the hospital after an automobile
      accident to find that she is suffering from total amnesia. Outwardly,
      everything is intact: She has the same face and form, her senses and her
      mind are there, but she doesn�t have any idea or any trace of a memory of
      who she really is.

      In exactly the same way, we cannot remember our true identity, our original
      nature. Frantically, and in real dread, we cast around and improvise another
      identity, one we clutch with all the desperation of someone falling
      continuously into an abyss. This false and ignorantly assumed identity is
      �ego.�

      Sogyal Rinpoche
    • Analine Tsepal
      Message 921 of 921 , Aug 6, 2011