The Charcoal Pit ... !!!

  • Bhikkhu Samahita
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2006

      Friends:

      Any even latent Sense-Desire induce repeated Death!!!

      And how, Bhikkhus, are sense desires regarded by a Bhikkhu so that he
      weakens the latent tendency to sense desire, to lust for sensing, to sense
      mania, to sense infatuation, to sense addiction, and to sensual obsession?
      Imagine a Charcoal Pit deeper than a man's height, filled with red glowing
      coals without flame or smoke. A man who wishes life & not death, who wants
      happiness & not suffering, would pass by... Then two strong men would grab
      him firmly by both his arms and drag him towards that burning charcoal pit...
      In panic, that man would indeed wriggle & try to resist with all his might!
      For what reason? Because he understands: If I fall into this charcoal pit,
      then I will surely meet a terrible death or deadly pain! Exactly & even so,
      Bhikkhus, when a Bhikkhu has seen & comprehended, that any & all sense
      desire is similar to a Charcoal Pit, then the latent tendency to sense desire,
      to sensual lust, to sense mania, to sense infatuation, to mad sense addiction,
      & the deeply embedded latent tendency to sensual obsession fades away...

      Comment:
      The Two Strong Men of evil force are similar to Ignorance & Craving, which
      are the evil forces, that induce & reinforce disadvantageous sensual greed...
      The resulting craving is the cause & origin of all Suffering = 2nd Noble Truth!

      Source (edited extract):
      The Grouped Sayings of the Buddha. Samyutta Nikaya. Book IV [188-]
      35: 6 Senses. Salayatana.
      States that entail Suffering. Dukkha-Dhammā 244.
      http://www.pariyatti.com/book.cgi?prod_id=948507
      http://www.accesstoinsight.org/canon/samyutta/index.html

      PS: Please include the word Samahita in any comment, since then
      will my automatic mail filters pick it up and I will see it & respond!!

       Bhikkhu Samahita, Sri Lanka.

       Friendship is the Greatest ...
       Let there be Calm & Free Bliss !!!

      http://What-Buddha-Said.net
       Dhamma-Questions sent to my email are quite Welcome.