Re: Intro

  • nancy lemke
    Message 1 of 27 , Jan 6, 2006
      ---
      hi dena and welcome to the group. we are a crazy bunch and enjoy out
      time together. namaste, nancy

      In Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com, Dena <freespirit_5150@y...> wrote:

      > Hello everyone. I popped in and said hello recently,
      > but have not formally introduced myself.
      >
      > My name is Dena. I'm married and have two children
      > whom I live with in Florida. Up until about three
      > years ago, I was a Christian, and while I still
      > respect the teachings of Jesus, I've found that
      > tradition no longer works for me. I've been intruigued
      > by Buddhism for almost three years now, but haven't
      > gotten serious about it until recently. HH Dalai Lama
      > and Lama Surya Das attracted me to Tibetan Buddhism in
      > particular.
      >
      > I have been on a couple of other lists, but felt too
      > intimidated by the dialogue there. So far, I really
      > like the energy here, so I'm hoping to be able to
      > learn AND participate in this group.
      >
      > namaste,
      > Dena
      >
      > The dust of exploded beliefs may make a fine sunset.~Geoffrey Madan~

    • sanghatasutra02
      Message 2 of 27 , Jan 7, 2006
        --- In Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com, Dena <freespirit_5150@y...> wrote:

        Hi Dena, welcome and I'd say "join in"... nothing to be intimidated
        about here. Lots of good Buddhist convo abuzz lately!

        _()_
      • Dena
        Message 3 of 27 , Jan 8, 2006
          Thanks for the welcome, Nancy! A crazy bunch of ppl
          interested in Buddhism? Sounds great to me!

          namaste,
          Dena

          Message 4 of 27 , Jan 8, 2006
            Thanks for the welcome. And yes, lots of good
            conversation here lately -- I've enjoyed it immensely.

            namaste,
            Dena
            --- sanghatasutra02 <sanpadro@...> wrote:

            > --- In Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com, Dena
            > <freespirit_5150@y...> wrote:
            >

            > Hi Dena, welcome and I'd say "join in"... nothing to
            > be intimidated
            > about here. Lots of good Buddhist convo abuzz
            > lately!
            >
            > _()_

            The dust of exploded beliefs may make a fine sunset.~Geoffrey Madan~
          • Sarah D
            Message 5 of 27 , Jan 9, 2006
              Dena, I'm a newbie here as well.  May I suggest, if you haven't already, going back through old postings of this group.  It will provide a lot of information.  Just a sugggestion...

              Sarah D

              Dena <freespirit_5150@...> wrote:

              Thanks for the welcome. And yes, lots of good
              conversation here lately -- I've enjoyed it immensely.

              namaste,
              Dena
              --- sanghatasutra02 <sanpadro@...> wrote:

              > --- In Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com, Dena
              > <freespirit_5150@y...> wrote:

              The dust of exploded beliefs may make a fine sunset.~Geoffrey Madan~

              Yahoo! Photos

            • Dena
              Message 6 of 27 , Jan 9, 2006
                Thanks Sarah, I'll check it out.

                namaste,
                Dena

                --- Sarah D <dharma_essence@...> wrote:

                > Dena, I'm a newbie here as well. May I suggest, if
                > you haven't already, going back through old postings
                > of this group. It will provide a lot of
                > information. Just a sugggestion...
                >
                > Sarah D
                >
                > Dena <freespirit_5150@...> wrote:
                >
                > Thanks for the welcome. And yes, lots of good
                > conversation here lately -- I've enjoyed it
                > immensely.
                >
                > namaste,
                > Dena
                > --- sanghatasutra02 <sanpadro@...> wrote:
                >
                > > --- In Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com, Dena
                > > <freespirit_5150@y...> wrote:
                > >

                > The dust of exploded beliefs may make a fine
                > sunset.~Geoffrey Madan~

                > Tibetan buddhism Buddhism religion

                > Yahoo! Terms of Service.
                >

                > ---------------------------------
                >

                > ---------------------------------
                > Yahoo! Photos
                > Got holiday prints? See all the ways to get quality
                > prints in your hands ASAP.

                The dust of exploded beliefs may make a fine sunset.~Geoffrey Madan~
              • condesa_descalza2
                Message 7 of 27 , Aug 6, 2008
                  Dear all,
                  I just joined this group, so I will introduce myself. My name is
                  Ruth, and I have only recently become interested in Buddhism. I
                  consider myself an atheist, but I find a lot of the teachings of
                  Buddhism inspiring and able to help me in life. I am especially
                  interested in the concepts of compassion and meditation, and I am
                  trying to find some information that is not too technical on the
                  topic. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am sure there are lots of
                  websites and stuff, but I am more interested in a book that I can
                  bring with me to read away from my computer. I would also love to read
                  a good intro to Buddhism in general.
                  I apologize if this topic has been raised and answered before, but I
                  was not able to find anything searching the message titles.
                  Also, I was wondering if anyone knows of a good meditation group in
                  Central PA.

                  Nice to meet you all.

                  Metta,
                • M D
                  Message 8 of 27 , Aug 7, 2008
                    Very good post Metta! I am interesting in finding a good intro book too and also if somebody knows about a good Buddhist group in Indianapolis, IN.
                    Thank you!
                    Micki

                    Message 9 of 27 , Aug 7, 2008
                      Dear Ruth,

                      Here are a few suggestions for beginners by reputable teachers / Lamas.

                      Macdonald, Kathleen. 1984. How to Meditate. Wisdom Pub .

                      How to Meditate: A Practical Guide
                      <http://www.amazon.com/How-Meditate-Practical-Kathleen-McDonald/dp/08617\
                      13419/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1218124097&sr=1-2> by
                      Kathleen McDonald and Robina Courtin Wisdom Publications; 2nd ed (Oct 3,
                      2005)

                      This is a newer edition of the above, Either are excellent for
                      beginners in [Tibetan] Buddhist meditation.

                      Gyatso,Tenzin, His Holiness XIVth Dalai Lama. 1998. The Four Noble
                      Truths. Harper Collins.

                      Gyatso,Tenzin, His Holiness XIVth Dalai Lama. 1984. Kindness,
                      Clarity and Insight. Snow Lion Pub.

                      Powers, John. 2007. Introduction to Tibetan Buddhism. 2nd Ed. Snow Lion
                      Pub.
                      Essential Tibetan Buddhism , Robert Thurman, HarperOne Pub.
                      "In this highly readable collection, Robert Thurman brings together the
                      jewels of Tibetan literature that have made their own distinctive
                      contribution to "the great river of Buddhism.""

                      Try a dharma publisher

                      http://www.wisdompubs.org/ <http://www.wisdompubs.org/>

                      http://www.snowlionpub.com/ <http://www.snowlionpub.com/>

                      you can't go wrong with any books you find on these sites, and buying
                      from them helps support the publication of dharma books. They will
                      frequently have on line discounts Many other good dharma publishers
                      also.

                      Best wishes, wecome to this group.

                      Sarva mangalam,

                      Tara

                      --- "condesa_descalza2" <condesa_descalza2@...> wrote:

                      > Dear all,
                      > I just joined this group, so I will introduce myself. My name is
                      > Ruth, and I have only recently become interested in Buddhism. I
                      > consider myself an atheist, but I find a lot of the teachings of
                      > Buddhism inspiring and able to help me in life. I am especially
                      > interested in the concepts of compassion and meditation, and I am
                      > trying to find some information that is not too technical on the
                      > topic. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am sure there are lots of
                      > websites and stuff, but I am more interested in a book that I can
                      > bring with me to read away from my computer. I would also love to read
                      > a good intro to Buddhism in general.
                      > I apologize if this topic has been raised and answered before, but I
                      > was not able to find anything searching the message titles.
                      > Also, I was wondering if anyone knows of a good meditation group in
                      > Central PA.
                      >
                      > Nice to meet you all.
                      >
                      > Metta,

                    • greyhabit
                      Message 10 of 27 , Aug 7, 2008
                        Dear Ruth,

                        Welcome ! I hope your inner journey of exploration and enlightenment
                        will be smooth and enjoyable, and will bear good fruit.

                        I have read many books which claim to be well suited to the needs of a
                        beginner. Some where good, some were just too technical, and some
                        where frankly, aimed at the level of a young child. One of the books
                        that I count as "good", certainly from the perspective of an outsider
                        looking in, is listed below. Some far more knowledgable than myself,
                        may disagree with my choice !

                        Title: "Buddhism for Dummies".

                        Wiley Publishing, Inc (2003)

                        0ISBN: 0-7645-5359-3

                        Best Wishes :)

                        Br Max EFO

                        --- In Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com, "condesa_descalza2"
                        <condesa_descalza2@...> wrote:

                        > Dear all,
                        > I just joined this group, so I will introduce myself. My name is
                        > Ruth, and I have only recently become interested in Buddhism. I
                        > consider myself an atheist, but I find a lot of the teachings of
                        > Buddhism inspiring and able to help me in life. I am especially
                        > interested in the concepts of compassion and meditation, and I am
                        > trying to find some information that is not too technical on the
                        > topic. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am sure there are lots of
                        > websites and stuff, but I am more interested in a book that I can
                        > bring with me to read away from my computer. I would also love to read
                        > a good intro to Buddhism in general.
                        > I apologize if this topic has been raised and answered before, but I
                        > was not able to find anything searching the message titles.
                        > Also, I was wondering if anyone knows of a good meditation group in
                        > Central PA.
                        >
                        > Nice to meet you all.
                        >
                        > Metta,

                      • greyhabit
                        Message 11 of 27 , Aug 7, 2008

                          <condesa_descalza2@...> wrote:

                          > Dear all,
                          > I just joined this group, so I will introduce myself. My name is
                          > Ruth, and I have only recently become interested in Buddhism. I
                          > consider myself an atheist, but I find a lot of the teachings of
                          > Buddhism inspiring and able to help me in life. I am especially
                          > interested in the concepts of compassion and meditation, and I am
                          > trying to find some information that is not too technical on the
                          > topic. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am sure there are lots of
                          > websites and stuff, but I am more interested in a book that I can
                          > bring with me to read away from my computer. I would also love to read
                          > a good intro to Buddhism in general.
                          > I apologize if this topic has been raised and answered before, but I
                          > was not able to find anything searching the message titles.
                          > Also, I was wondering if anyone knows of a good meditation group in
                          > Central PA.
                          >
                          > Nice to meet you all.
                          >
                          > Metta,

                        • condesa_descalza2
                          Message 12 of 27 , Aug 7, 2008
                            --- In Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com, "Cittamani" <skydancr@...> wrote:

                            > Dear Ruth,
                            >
                            > Here are a few suggestions for beginners by reputable teachers / Lamas.
                            >
                            > Macdonald, Kathleen. 1984. How to Meditate. Wisdom Pub .
                            >
                            > How to Meditate: A Practical Guide

                            <http://www.amazon.com/How-Meditate-Practical-Kathleen-McDonald/dp/08617\
                            > 13419/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1218124097&sr=1-2> by
                            > Kathleen McDonald and Robina Courtin Wisdom Publications; 2nd ed (Oct 3,
                            > 2005)
                            >
                            > This is a newer edition of the above, Either are excellent for
                            > beginners in [Tibetan] Buddhist meditation.
                            >
                            > Gyatso,Tenzin, His Holiness XIVth Dalai Lama. 1998. The Four Noble
                            > Truths. Harper Collins.
                            >
                            > Gyatso,Tenzin, His Holiness XIVth Dalai Lama. 1984. Kindness,
                            > Clarity and Insight. Snow Lion Pub.
                            >
                            > Powers, John. 2007. Introduction to Tibetan Buddhism. 2nd Ed. Snow Lion
                            > Pub.
                            > Essential Tibetan Buddhism , Robert Thurman, HarperOne Pub.
                            > "In this highly readable collection, Robert Thurman brings together the
                            > jewels of Tibetan literature that have made their own distinctive
                            > contribution to "the great river of Buddhism.""
                            >
                            > Try a dharma publisher
                            >
                            > http://www.wisdompubs.org/ <http://www.wisdompubs.org/>
                            >
                            > http://www.snowlionpub.com/ <http://www.snowlionpub.com/>
                            >
                            > you can't go wrong with any books you find on these sites, and buying
                            > from them helps support the publication of dharma books. They will
                            > frequently have on line discounts Many other good dharma publishers
                            > also.
                            >
                            > Best wishes, wecome to this group.
                            >
                            > Sarva mangalam,
                            >
                            > Tara
                            >

                            > --- "condesa_descalza2" <condesa_descalza2@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Dear all,
                            > > I just joined this group, so I will introduce myself. My name is
                            > > Ruth, and I have only recently become interested in Buddhism. I
                            > > consider myself an atheist, but I find a lot of the teachings of
                            > > Buddhism inspiring and able to help me in life. I am especially
                            > > interested in the concepts of compassion and meditation, and I am
                            > > trying to find some information that is not too technical on the
                            > > topic. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am sure there are lots of
                            > > websites and stuff, but I am more interested in a book that I can
                            > > bring with me to read away from my computer. I would also love to read
                            > > a good intro to Buddhism in general.
                            > > I apologize if this topic has been raised and answered before, but I
                            > > was not able to find anything searching the message titles.
                            > > Also, I was wondering if anyone knows of a good meditation group in
                            > > Central PA.
                            > >
                            > > Nice to meet you all.
                            > >
                            > > Metta,

                            Thanks a lot, I appreciate it.
                          • Ken/
                            Message 13 of 27 , Aug 8, 2008
                              Check out this url for a center near you.
                              http://www.buddhanet.info/wbd/

                              Check out the Tibetan Mongolian Culture Center in Bloomington.
                              http://www.tibetancc.com/info/index.asp

                              Ken/

                              > Very good post Metta! I am interesting in finding a good
                              > intro book too and also if somebody knows about a good
                              > Buddhist group in Indianapolis, IN.
                              > Thank you!
                              > Micki

                                This question comes up frequently, so I just created a folder in the
                                "Files" section of the website called "Introductory Readings". See
                                <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Buddhism_101/files/%20Introductory%20Readings/>.

                                I put a couple of my own recommendations there and hope that others will
                                do the same. Even if you are new to Buddhism, you can put
                                recommendations there. In fact, being new to Buddhism might make you
                                better qualified to say that a book is easy and helpful for beginners.

                                So I hope that others will contribute recommendations to this folder.
                                Then people will be able to benefit from our experience long after we've
                                ~ taken the little bit of time to post a bit from our own experience.

                                Thanks much,
                                ken
                                list moderator

                                - --
                                Please note that I will be changing this email address soon. The PGP
                                signature should ensure for everyone that, though the email address
                                will be different, I will be the same person.

                                On 08/07/2008 12:12 AM condesa_descalza2 wrote:
                                | Dear all,
                                | I just joined this group, so I will introduce myself. My name is
                                | Ruth, and I have only recently become interested in Buddhism. I
                                | consider myself an atheist, but I find a lot of the teachings of
                                | Buddhism inspiring and able to help me in life. I am especially
                                | interested in the concepts of compassion and meditation, and I am
                                | trying to find some information that is not too technical on the
                                | topic. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am sure there are lots of
                                | websites and stuff, but I am more interested in a book that I can
                                | bring with me to read away from my computer. I would also love to read
                                | a good intro to Buddhism in general.
                                | I apologize if this topic has been raised and answered before, but I
                                | was not able to find anything searching the message titles.
                                | Also, I was wondering if anyone knows of a good meditation group in
                                | Central PA.
                                |
                                | Nice to meet you all.
                                |
                                | Metta,

                              • Lorna
                                Message 15 of 27 , Aug 9, 2008
                                  Great Blessings, and welcome!

                                  So many books, so little time. I have recently switched from Zen to Tibetan Buddhism, Kagyu, so now I have a whole new set of books to read!

                                  Here are some of my favorites, well-written, not technical:

                                  How to Practice - His Holiness the Dalai Lama (Tibetan)

                                  The Heart of Buddha's Teaching- Thich Nhat Hanh (Zen). I love this man. Anything he writes is wonderful. He is a Viet Namese Lama, and just recently was allowed to return to his homeland. Any book he writes will be great.

                                  Zen Flesh, Zen Bones- (compiled) An ancient book of Zen and pre-zen small stories demonstrating the Buddha's teachings.

                                  Buddha in the Palm of Your Hand- (Tendzin) A wonderful, basic book on Buddhism. He shows you how you can indeed have "Buddha in the Palm of your Hand". (Tibetan, Kagyu)

                                  What makes You NOT a Buddhist- (Khyentse)A very interesting approach to the subject. You don't need to wear robes, or chant in a temple. And even if you do, you may not be a Buddhist! Great read! (Tibetan)

                                  If you want to send me your address by private email, I can mail you so many books you'll be enlightened before you get to the end!

                                  With metta,
                                  Lorna

                                  Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense -  The Buddha
                                • BRIDGET CUDDIE
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Aug 9, 2008
                                    There are a lot of intro type books out there now. There is Buddhism With
                                    An Attitude whose author I can't remember. Anything by Pema Chodron is very
                                    user friendly. Buddhist Wisdom by Edward Conze, a translation and
                                    explanation of the Diamond Sutra and the Heart Sutra. It is quite small and
                                    very full. Buddhism Is Not What You Think by Steve Hagen is a good intro
                                    book with explanations of some of the language of Buddhism. Here is a quote
                                    from that book that sums up why I am so drawn to Buddhism:

                                    " ... Buddhadharma is not about believing things .. .. It's a religious
                                    tradition that dates back twenty-five hundred years, but it's not a belief
                                    system. Indeed, any teaching or practice or tradition designed to draw our
                                    attention to Truth cannot be based in belief. It can't be about buying into
                                    concepts. It can only be about examining, testing, and knowing the actual,
                                    immediate, direct experience of this moment."

                                    There is also a good book that I have put down and picked up a few times
                                    called Buddhism A Way of Life and Thought by Nancy Wilson Ross. Also, of
                                    course, a two inch thick paperback named The Wisdom of Thich Nhat Hanh, by
                                    himself. I continue to enjoy all of these books. They are, to be honest,
                                    more at my level of understanding. Trying to read the Sutras are like
                                    reading the Bible. Puts me to sleep.

                                    Bridget

                                    "Common sense and a sense of humor are the same thing, moving at different
                                    speeds. A sense of humor is just common sense, dancing."
                                    --William James

                                  • dave_wdmn
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Aug 10, 2008
                                      "Buddhism Is Not What You Think by Steve Hagen is a good intro
                                      book with explanations of some of the language of Buddhism. Here is a
                                      quote
                                      from that book that sums up why I am so drawn to Buddhism:

                                      " ... Buddhadharma is not about believing things .. .. It's a religious
                                      tradition that dates back twenty-five hundred years, but it's not a
                                      belief
                                      system. Indeed, any teaching or practice or tradition designed to draw
                                      our
                                      attention to Truth cannot be based in belief. It can't be about buying
                                      into
                                      concepts. It can only be about examining, testing, and knowing the
                                      actual,
                                      immediate, direct experience of this moment."

                                      Yes indeed, and this is a thing that can be found mainly outside of
                                      dogmatic orthodox religions and in may philosophies. It is about life as
                                      it is and living it and loving it to its fullest.

                                      Dave.

                                      --- In Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com, "BRIDGET CUDDIE" <bridget@...>
                                      wrote:

                                      > There are a lot of intro type books out there now. There is Buddhism
                                      With
                                      > An Attitude whose author I can't remember. Anything by Pema Chodron is
                                      very
                                      > user friendly. Buddhist Wisdom by Edward Conze, a translation and
                                      > explanation of the Diamond Sutra and the Heart Sutra. It is quite
                                      small and
                                      > very full. Buddhism Is Not What You Think by Steve Hagen is a good
                                      intro
                                      > book with explanations of some of the language of Buddhism. Here is a
                                      quote
                                      > from that book that sums up why I am so drawn to Buddhism:
                                      >

                                      > " ... Buddhadharma is not about believing things .. .. It's a
                                      religious
                                      > tradition that dates back twenty-five hundred years, but it's not a
                                      belief
                                      > system. Indeed, any teaching or practice or tradition designed to draw
                                      our
                                      > attention to Truth cannot be based in belief. It can't be about buying
                                      into
                                      > concepts. It can only be about examining, testing, and knowing the
                                      actual,
                                      > immediate, direct experience of this moment."
                                      >

                                      > There is also a good book that I have put down and picked up a few
                                      times
                                      > called Buddhism A Way of Life and Thought by Nancy Wilson Ross. Also,
                                      of
                                      > course, a two inch thick paperback named The Wisdom of Thich Nhat
                                      Hanh, by
                                      > himself. I continue to enjoy all of these books. They are, to be
                                      honest,
                                      > more at my level of understanding. Trying to read the Sutras are like
                                      > reading the Bible. Puts me to sleep.
                                      >

                                      > Bridget
                                      >

                                      > "Common sense and a sense of humor are the same thing, moving at
                                      different
                                      > speeds. A sense of humor is just common sense, dancing."
                                      > --William James

                                    • Skye
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Dec 17, 2009
                                        Hello all, my name's Skye and I'm new to the group and currently seeking a dharma teacher in my area(there's one a few towns away, I live in Maui,Hawaii). Any suggestions and guidelines on how to first approach a potential teacher? I'm not sure if there's a traditional way to ask for teachings etc. Thank you for allowing me to join the group, and a big hello to all!
                                      • michael
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Dec 17, 2009
                                          Hello skye,

                                          Welcome to the group.  It may differ from school to school with my lineage, Sakya, it is encouraged you connect with a teacher you feel a karmic connection with.  In other words you see a group of lama's and you feel an overwhelming need to meet one in particular.  This is a good place to start because it is said this is the teacher whom will help you most of all.  However, in lieu of this connection it is perfectly fine to speak to available teachers.

                                          Before enlightenment, chop wood carry water.
                                          After enlightenment, chop wood carry water.
                                          Michael

                                          Hello all, my name's Skye and I'm new to the group and currently seeking a dharma teacher in my area(there's one a few towns away, I live in Maui,Hawaii) . Any suggestions and guidelines on how to first approach a potential teacher? I'm not sure if there's a traditional way to ask for teachings etc. Thank you for allowing me to join the group, and a big hello to all!

                                        • Jane Harper
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Dec 17, 2009
                                            My Gelugpa group encourages students to research any potential teacher thoroughly before making any lasting connections (refuge, pratimoksha vows, empowerments). The teachings say that we must be able and willing to see all our teachers as Buddha, even those from whom we receive only one sentence.

                                            Jane

                                            -----
                                            Typed with two thumbs on my iPhone