Re: new to group

  • nancy lemke
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 30, 2005
      ---
      welcome...same here,,,no temple! just read, read, read and meditate.
      namaste, nan

      In Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com, "Sarah" <sarahlynn@f...> wrote:

      > Hi--
      >
      > I am new to this group. I am interested in learning more about
      Buddhism. I practice yoga
      > and martial arts and really enjoy existential philosophy. I live in
      a very rural area
      > (northeastern Minnesota). Therefore, I do not know of any Buddhist
      groups that practice
      > in the area. The closest temple is 300 miles away. I enjoy the
      peace of living in the
      > country, but it would be nice if there were more cultural diversity.
      >
      > --Sarah

    • Sarah D

        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 1, 2005
          Thanks for the advice and the welcome.

          I like the internet because it allows me to live isolated, but still be in touch with the rest of
          the world ( and I'm a public radio junky).

          My husband comes from a big conservative catholic family. He and his eldist brother are
          also interested in buddhism. (as if their mom doesn't have enough reasons to be angry at
          me! She has a hard time letting go of her children and letting them make their own
          decisions).

          What do you usually meditate on? I do yoga. When I am in a really relaxed state I think
          about the things and people that make me frustrated and angry and try not to be angry
          anymore. I don't know if this counts.

          --Sarah

          --- In Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com, Sarah D <dharma_essence@y...> wrote:

          > Welcome from another Sarah. :-) I'm in the country as well. It's only about an hour to
          an hour and a half to the city but the road is winding and treacherous and I don't make the
          drive unless I have to. Ken mentioned starting a meditation group. Of course that would
          depend on the availability of interested parties, but, even just one more person would be a
          start.I second the advice of "read, read, read,". With all that's available on the internet,
          there's an unlimited supply of material. I'm new to this group as well. Something I've
          found helpful is to go back through past postings to get a "feel" for this group, and to pick
          up information. Asking questions here will get you lots of help. I'm still learning what
          questions to ask. <g> Welcome and enjoy!

          > The "other" Sarah,
          > Sarah D.
          >
          > Sarah <sarahlynn@f...> wrote:
          > Hi--
          >
          > I am new to this group. I am interested in learning more about Buddhism. I practice
          yoga
          > and martial arts and really enjoy existential philosophy. I live in a very rural area
          > (northeastern Minnesota). Therefore, I do not know of any Buddhist groups that practice
          > in the area. The closest temple is 300 miles away. I enjoy the peace of living in the
          > country, but it would be nice if there were more cultural diversity.
          >
          > --Sarah

          > ---------------------------------
          >

          > ---------------------------------
          >
          > ---------------------------------

        • Sarah D
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 1, 2005
            "What do you usually meditate on?  I do yoga."

            Me too!  I've practiced hatha yoga for years.  I had the good fortune to have a  wonderful teacher from India.  When I meditate, it's the way I learned from him - clearing the mind to reach a peaceful place where all things are clearer.  Something I find interesting about Buddhism and meditation is focusing on one particular thing, a "formal" meditation it seems to me.  I've done it the other way for so long, I'm finding it difficult to focus on one particular theme, as it were.

            I fully understand what you mean regarding your husband and therefore your in-laws.  They are no different than a close friend or casual acquaintance in the way they may be puzzled over your chosen interests.  You might as well try to explain why the sun rises, or why there is air.  Be as open and understanding as you can be and realize that sometimes there is just "no getting through" to those who don't want to see.  It's their problem, not yours.  I hope someone else here can jump in and address the subject of your question - meditation.  I'm new here as well and know there is much to be learned.

            Sarah D.

            Sarah <sarahlynn@...> wrote:
            Thanks for the advice and the welcome.

            I like the internet because it allows me to live isolated, but still be in touch with the rest of
            the world ( and I'm a public radio junky).

            My husband comes from a big conservative catholic family.  He and his eldist brother are
            also interested in buddhism. (as if their mom doesn't have enough reasons to be angry at
            me! She has a hard time letting go of her children and letting them make their own
            decisions).

            What do you usually meditate on?  I do yoga.  When I am in a really relaxed state I think
            about the things and people that make me frustrated and angry and try not to be angry
            anymore.  I don't know if this counts.

            --Sarah

            --- In Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com, Sarah D <dharma_essence@y...> wrote:

            > Welcome from another Sarah.  :-)  I'm in the country as well.  It's only about an hour to
            an hour and a half to the city but the road is winding and treacherous and I don't make the
            drive unless I have to.  Ken mentioned starting a meditation group.  Of course that would
            depend on the availability of interested parties, but, even just one more person would be a
            start.I second the advice of "read, read, read,".  With all that's available on the internet,
            there's an unlimited supply of material.  I'm new to this group as well.  Something I've
            found helpful is to go back through past postings to get a "feel" for this group, and to pick
            up information.  Asking questions here will get you lots of help.  I'm still learning what
            questions to ask.  <g>  Welcome and enjoy!

            >   The "other" Sarah,
            >   Sarah D.
            >
            > Sarah <sarahlynn@f...> wrote:
            >   Hi--
            >
            > I am new to this group.  I am interested in learning more about Buddhism.  I practice
            yoga
            > and martial arts and really enjoy existential philosophy.  I live in a very rural area
            > (northeastern Minnesota).  Therefore, I do not know of any Buddhist groups that practice
            > in the area.  The closest temple is 300 miles away.  I enjoy the peace of living in the
            > country, but it would be nice if there were more cultural diversity.
            >
            > --Sarah

            >     Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.
            >

            > ---------------------------------
            >

            > ---------------------------------
            >  Yahoo! Music Unlimited - Access over 1 million songs. Try it free.
            >
            > ---------------------------------
            >  Yahoo! Music Unlimited - Access over 1 million songs. Try it free.

          • Ken/
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 1, 2005
              Sarah, I did a small beginner's course in meditation.
              Maybe it will help you.
              Sign in, if necessary (Yahoo ID and Password)
              Click "Messages" in the left sidebar
              At the top of the page is a place to search for
              messages by number. Type these in, one set at a time.
              3674
              3697
              3778
              3845
              3850
              3887
              3901
              3910
              3944
              4096
              4241
              4275
              4412
              Click "Go"

              Ken/

              --- Sarah <sarahlynn@...> wrote:

              > Thanks for the advice and the welcome.
              >
              > I like the internet because it allows me to live
              > isolated, but still be in touch with the rest of
              > the world ( and I'm a public radio junky).
              >
              > My husband comes from a big conservative catholic
              > family. He and his eldist brother are
              > also interested in buddhism. (as if their mom
              > doesn't have enough reasons to be angry at
              > me! She has a hard time letting go of her children
              > and letting them make their own
              > decisions).
              >
              > What do you usually meditate on? I do yoga. When I
              > am in a really relaxed state I think
              > about the things and people that make me frustrated
              > and angry and try not to be angry
              > anymore. I don't know if this counts.
              >
              > --Sarah
              >

              > --- In Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com, Sarah D
              > <dharma_essence@y...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Welcome from another Sarah. :-) I'm in the
              > country as well. It's only about an hour to
              > an hour and a half to the city but the road is
              > winding and treacherous and I don't make the
              > drive unless I have to. Ken mentioned starting a
              > meditation group. Of course that would
              > depend on the availability of interested parties,
              > but, even just one more person would be a
              > start.I second the advice of "read, read, read,".
              > With all that's available on the internet,
              > there's an unlimited supply of material. I'm new to
              > this group as well. Something I've
              > found helpful is to go back through past postings to
              > get a "feel" for this group, and to pick
              > up information. Asking questions here will get you
              > lots of help. I'm still learning what
              > questions to ask. <g> Welcome and enjoy!
              > >
              > > The "other" Sarah,
              > > Sarah D.
              > >
              > > Sarah <sarahlynn@f...> wrote:
              > > Hi--
              > >
              > > I am new to this group. I am interested in
              > learning more about Buddhism. I practice
              > yoga
              > > and martial arts and really enjoy existential
              > philosophy. I live in a very rural area
              > > (northeastern Minnesota). Therefore, I do not
              > know of any Buddhist groups that practice
              > > in the area. The closest temple is 300 miles
              > away. I enjoy the peace of living in the
              > > country, but it would be nice if there were more
              > cultural diversity.
              > >
              > > --Sarah

              > Yahoo! Terms of Service.
              > >

              > > ---------------------------------
              > >

              > > ---------------------------------
              > > Yahoo! Music Unlimited - Access over 1 million
              > songs. Try it free.
              > >
              > > ---------------------------------
              > > Yahoo! Music Unlimited - Access over 1 million
              > songs. Try it free.

              > --------------------~-->
              > Yahoo! your home page

              http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/GkEylB/TM

              __________________________________
              http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

              Just $16.99/mo. or less.
              dsl.yahoo.com
            • Sarah D
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 2, 2005
                Thanks for the message list Ken, I'll start there!

                Sarah D.

                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 2, 2005
                  ---
                  sure that counts. there are no hard fast rules on what to meditate
                  on or about. namaste, nan

                  In Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com, "Sarah" <sarahlynn@f...> wrote:

                  > Thanks for the advice and the welcome.
                  >
                  > I like the internet because it allows me to live isolated, but
                  still be in touch with the rest of
                  > the world ( and I'm a public radio junky).
                  >
                  > My husband comes from a big conservative catholic family. He and
                  his eldist brother are
                  > also interested in buddhism. (as if their mom doesn't have enough
                  reasons to be angry at
                  > me! She has a hard time letting go of her children and letting them
                  make their own
                  > decisions).
                  >
                  > What do you usually meditate on? I do yoga. When I am in a really
                  relaxed state I think
                  > about the things and people that make me frustrated and angry and
                  try not to be angry
                  > anymore. I don't know if this counts.
                  >
                  > --Sarah
                  >

                  > --- In Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com, Sarah D <dharma_essence@y...>
                  wrote:

                  > > Welcome from another Sarah. :-) I'm in the country as well.
                  It's only about an hour to
                  > an hour and a half to the city but the road is winding and
                  treacherous and I don't make the
                  > drive unless I have to. Ken mentioned starting a meditation
                  group. Of course that would
                  > depend on the availability of interested parties, but, even just
                  one more person would be a
                  > start.I second the advice of "read, read, read,". With all that's
                  available on the internet,
                  > there's an unlimited supply of material. I'm new to this group as
                  well. Something I've
                  > found helpful is to go back through past postings to get a "feel"
                  for this group, and to pick
                  > up information. Asking questions here will get you lots of help.
                  I'm still learning what
                  > questions to ask. <g> Welcome and enjoy!
                  > >
                  > > The "other" Sarah,
                  > > Sarah D.
                  > >
                  > > Sarah <sarahlynn@f...> wrote:
                  > > Hi--
                  > >
                  > > I am new to this group. I am interested in learning more about
                  Buddhism. I practice
                  > yoga
                  > > and martial arts and really enjoy existential philosophy. I live
                  in a very rural area
                  > > (northeastern Minnesota). Therefore, I do not know of any
                  Buddhist groups that practice
                  > > in the area. The closest temple is 300 miles away. I enjoy the
                  peace of living in the
                  > > country, but it would be nice if there were more cultural
                  diversity.

                  > > --Sarah

                  Service.

                  > > ---------------------------------
                  > >

                  > > ---------------------------------
                  > > Yahoo! Music Unlimited - Access over 1 million songs. Try it
                  free.

                  > > ---------------------------------
                  > > Yahoo! Music Unlimited - Access over 1 million songs. Try it
                  free.

                • Dianna
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 18, 2010
                    Hello. Just joined the group and wanted to introduce myself and give some background info. I'm 36, married for almost 11 years, have 2 year old twin boys.

                    In my very early 20's I became a Christian. I got turned off quickly when I was told to stop medication, fast and pray till head from some disorders I have. My therapist at that time suggested I could benefit from meditation. Amazing how many sites on Buddhism comes up when looking for info on meditation. Well my interest was peaked. I started practicing on my own. Maybe for about a year till Christian friends guilty me into coming back to the Christian church. That didn't last long. So then, I didn't practice or was not part of any religion or spiritual path.

                    I just started attending a Unitarian Universalist church where Buddhist faith is very much accepted. Today the sermon was on spring, Earth Day and the moon. Very peaceful experience.
                    There are Buddhist teachings once a week.

                    I would love to get back to my Buddhist beliefs. Each night I fall asleep with my iPod one with Om Mani Padme hum being chanted. I miss the chants. I miss the rituals. I miss having Buddha to pray to.

                    Found the group and thought this would be a great place to start.
                    I have to watch myself, as I can't go out an buy every book out there. The web is where I need to read the most and communicate with.

                    Dianna