Current SGI member :)

  • craige09
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 4, 2005
      I just joined this group to learn more about Tibetan Buddhism. I
      was very suprised to see so many messages about SGI. I have been a
      member for 14 years and have held a variety of levels of
      responsiblity. As of today I am still a member.

      However, I am deeply questioning everything I have belived for so
      long. I can understand much of the feelings expressed by many who
      have had bad experiences with SGI.

      I don't think SGI or SGI-USA is a cult. But to an outside observer
      (and many of us inside) many members do seem to have a cult-like
      following of the organizaton and President Daisaku Ikeda.

      I think that the organization, especially here in the United States
      is extremly dysfunctional. People at times are too much into each
      other's business - there is little respect for privacy. The rampant
      gossip is what really has hurt me and my wife. And, if you don't
      tow the party line, then you can be accused of "having negativity"
      and/or "weak faith."

      To sum it up, I think they are trying to recreate the Japanese
      system in the United States, and it just isn't going to work. They
      tried this in the 70s and 80s when it was called NSA. It seems to
      be going back in that direction right now.

      My wife has already left SGI, and I am probably not far behind.

      I probably should stop here. I am new to this board, and don't want
      to start of in a bad way.

      Let me just say, that I have very recently started reading just a
      little from The Dali Lama, and am really taken by his writings. I
      am very interested in learning more about other schools of Buddhism,
      especially Tibetan and Zen.

      Thanks very much,

      -Craig
    • saifa54
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 4, 2005
        Craig I was a member of the SGI for several years. As you well know at each
        meeting members are asked to describe "benfits" they have recieved from
        chanting NMRK. These benefits are almost always in the form of a better
        job, newer car, etc. That fine but that is not what the Buddhism that
        Shakymuni Buddha taught is about at all. Buddhism is about the direct
        experiencing of realizing that everything is all one and that we are one
        with the universe. The SGI literature explicitely states they do not
        believe in this direct realization of reality and do not belive in a
        transcendental experience. As you also know the term Sokai Gakkai means
        value creation society. Perhaps that is what they are practicing, its
        definately not buddhism. The SGI also goes to great lengths to state that
        Nichiren is the original buddha and place him over Shakymuni. However the
        scariest part of the SGI is over the last several years if you read their
        literature closely they place more emphasis on worshiping Ikeda than on even
        Nichiren. Call it what you will, its not buddhism. Funny thing when I
        joined most of the longterm members had no idea of the 8 fold path or the
        three jewels. Pretty sad.
        Dave