Re: SGI

  • craige09
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 4, 2005
      Hi Peter,

      I am a current member of SGI. I know of someone in my district who
      decided to leave SGI and then lots of people called to "see how she
      was doing." She commented to me, "its great to have all this
      attention, more in the last two weeks than I experienced over the last
      20 years..."

      I haven't yet left SGI, but I am strongly considering it. Perhaps it
      is an experience like yours is keeping me from leaving right now.

      I think the people mean well, but it is just so misguided. In my
      opinion it is sad.. really....

      -Craig

      --- In Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com, Peter Röder <PeterRoeder@a...> wrote:

      > yeah, when i tried to leave sgi i recieved dozens of phonecalls of
      people inviting me to meetings and activities. no one would listen to
      a "no". i had to change my phonenumber. people i thought were true
      friends turned out to only want me to stay in the cult and had no
      interest in me if i left. someone i thought was a true friend did
      everything in his power to coerce me to stay. this sort of fascist and
      illegal behaviour is unusual in denmark. only a cult like sgi or
      something like nazism could get people to act like that.

      and the Buddhism practiced by Tibetans, and indeed the rest of the
      world Buddhist community.

      > SGI is dedicated to the practice of a Buddhism set forth by one
      priest, Nichiren, who is believed to have attained Buddhahood about
      750 years ago in Japan.

      > Put "Nichiren Buddhism" into a search engine for information.
      >
      > It is believed that Nichiren discovered the way to liberate all
      sentient beings in one life-time through an object of worship called
      the Gohonzon.

      > That he discovered (within the Lotus Sutra) and proclaimed the
      Mystic Law (Emptiness) rendering all other teachings, from all other
      Buddha's unnecessary and provisional.

      > Nichiren is called "The True Buddha," and his Buddhism "True
      Buddhism."

      > All teaching comes from Gosho, the writings of Nichiren, and from
      no other source.

      > I was involved with this type of Buddhism back in the days when
      SGI, (which was at that time the Lay Organization attached to a
      religion called Nichiren Sho-Shu,) declared itself, and it's leader a
      religion on their own. The awful war that resulted still rages to this
      day. Lives were lost in this process. Murders done. The Japanese court
      system is still tied in knots with the lawsuits and complaints between
      these two groups.

      > The problems I encountered, besides the cult like feeling, had to
      do with the fact that all teaching is from the Lotus Sutra....which is
      a beautiful Sutra, but is actually a lengthy description of devotional
      practices...how a priest should comport himself, and teach...how a
      devotee should worship ..without any (I found one mention of Emptiness
      but admittedly did not comb the entire Sutra) explanations of what it
      is that is to be taught or devote oneself to. This information is
      found in the Pranjaparamita...the Wisdom Sutra....but this sutra is
      not taught to the followers.

      > The assumption is, that non ordained human beings are like sheep.
      > One does not bother to teach them "Why" or "Wisdom".....you are
      simply given the one practice, and you just do that.

      > Basically, you will learn the mantra Nam Myho Renge Kyo, and
      recite some lengthy sutra verses twice a day. You will worship an
      object, the Gohonzon, the unification with which will gain your
      enlightenment.

      > You will be taught that all other Buddhists are misguided, and
      expected to loudly and aggressively seek to convert everyone you
      encounter.

      > These people taught me that His Holiness the Dalai Lama was a
      misguided savage, whose Buddhism no longer held the power to liberate.
      He was called a barbarian, and to listen to his teaching was like
      "mixing filth with one's rice."

      > There are many forms of Nichiren Buddhism
      > SGI, and NSS are not the only one's.
      >
      > As to whether or not this Buddhism is truly what it claims to be,
      I have no way of knowing.
      > I do know, having had people come to my home and verbally attack
      and threaten me as I began to study Tibetan Tradition, that to steer
      clear of SGI, and NSS is a good idea.

      > If you are attracted to Nichiren, and his Buddhism, there are
      other ways to go.

      > Much Luck,
      >
      > Joyce

      Service.

    • Peter Röder
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 5, 2005
        Craig,

        I am glad to hear that you are leaving SGI.

        Best regards

        Service.

      • Kindnsruls@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 5, 2005
          <<Yes, the current split between SGI and Nichiren Shoshu is still
          rampant, and I have seen reports about SGI youth doing things that
          are just suprisingly bad and disrespectful of other people.
          However, I did not hear of any murders or people actually dying in
          this process.

          And while there were court cases between both NSS and SGI, I think
          they have all been resolved.>>

          The killing I spoke of happened many years ago, in Japan.

          You are probably correct about the lawsuits, I no longer "keep up" with anything relating to NSSA/SGI.

          Joyce
        • Peter Röder
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 5, 2005
            SGI is a "destructive" cult similar to the Moonies, Scientology and Jehovah´s vitnesses. It exploits people´s money, time and effort and then throws them to the wolves when they become useless.
            This happened to me and countless others.

            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 7, 2005
              WOW! I had no idea.
              I guess my perception was that anything Buddhist is not "extreme."
              Anything in the extreme is bad for me.

              Thanks

              -Scott

              --- In Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com, "saifa54" <saifa54@c...> wrote: