Re: [Buddhism_101] New Introduction

  • Peter Röder
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 1, 2005
      it´s most fortunate for you that the SGI meeting is so far from you...

      best regards
      peter
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 1, 2005
        As a former SGI member I can say it is a very perverse form of Buddhism and meets most if not all the definations of a cult.  It does not worship Shakymuni Budha but spends most of its time and effort and money honoring President IKeda.  Some people have even started calling it "Ikedism" instead of Nichiren Budhism.  Not only does it claim all other forms of buddhism are wrong it even badmouths all other forms of Nichiren buddhism..They are very strong believers in Shaku buku which is how they gain new converts.  Shaku buku is very cultlike in its forceful approach to getting new members.  New members are gained  by telling them all they have to do to obtain a new car, a new house, or a spouse is to simply chant nam myo ho renge kyo.  the whole focus of their pratice is on "benefits" which means material goods.  Its not anything like why most of us practice buddhism.
        Be careful,
        Dave

        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 1, 2005
          I would have to reiterate all that has been said here
          on SGI. My advice is to stay away, far away.

          Ken/

          __________________________________
          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Heartwings Papillons
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 1, 2005
            A former coworker got involved with SGI and he was ultimately very sorry as it was a bad experience.  If you are considering it, please do some research before you get involved.  Some of the religious groups out there (not just SGI by any means) can consume you and or your finances before you even know what hit you.

            Susan
          • Peter Röder
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 1, 2005
              I am a former SGI member as well and I would describe it much more harshly than the below. It is definitely a "destructive" cult similar to The Moonies, Scientology and other evil cults. I am so much more happy now practising Tibetan Buddhism than when I got shakobukued (i.e. cheated) into the SGI group (one is told nothing or lies about the group and org.) It has absolutely NOTHING to do with Buddhism. It is merely a kind of money-pyramid-game-scam designed to enslave people so that they will subject their time, money and effort to the will of the cult. SGI believes in nothing other than "world peace" which is a situation where SGI members have more influence. It is an absolutely horrendous "destructive" cult which I can recommend to no one, not even my worst enemy, had I had one.

              Best regards
              Peter

              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 1, 2005
                dear sangha,

                I´d like to add something. In denmark, copenhagen where I practicised in SGI the former leader once told a woman who had been subjected to incest that if she joined another nichiren buddhist group she would have more incest in her family. there is no other word for sgi than...: EVIL.

                best regards
                peter
                A former coworker got involved with SGI and he was ultimately very sorry as it was a bad experience.  If you are considering it, please do some research before you get involved.  Some of the religious groups out there (not just SGI by any means) can consume you and or your finances before you even know what hit you.

                Susan
              • saifa54
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 1, 2005
                  Yes, I was warned that all sorts of evil things would happen to me for all of eternity when I left.  Funny things actually got better ;).  Its nothing but money and power for the leaders.  The final straw for me was when they started calling my house and wanting to speak to my kids so they could recruit them!
                  Dave

                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 2, 2005
                    <<yeah, when i tried to leave sgi i recieved dozens of phonecalls of people inviting me to meetings and activities. no one would listen to a "no". i had to change my phonenumber. people i thought were true friends turned out to only want me to stay in the cult and had no interest in me if i left.>>

                    <<Yes, I was warned that all sorts of evil things would happen to me for all of eternity when I left.  Funny things actually got better ;).  Its nothing but money and power for the leaders.  The final straw for me was when they started calling my house and wanting to speak to my kids so they could recruit them!>>

                    << I´d like to add something. In denmark, copenhagen where I practicised in SGI the former leader once told a woman who had been subjected to incest that if she joined another nichiren buddhist group she would have more incest in her family.>>

                    Well......at least we have established that these groups do have a certain degree of consistency!  :D

                    About a month ago, the one woman who became a friend during that time, surprised me by dropping by. She is a Japanese woman, and so this Buddhism has always been in her own culture. She is perhaps one of the most sincere, and kindest natured human beings I have ever encountered. She did not stop by with an agenda, simply to pay a visit to an old friend, and share with me her recent experience on Tozan (pilgrimage). She was very, very happy and confident in the teachings she follows. She is also not one to question. She firmly believes in the priests, and everything they say. She counts on them to know for her, not even thinking to believe in her own ability to transcend, and know/develop her own wisdom mind...she also defers to her husband in this way, telling me "You should talk my husband!" anytime the conversation turns to sutra or tenets. :D

                    She probably doesn't even realize, that she herself possess the same wisdom as those priests and that husband. But....the point is.....that I could discern no difference in her nature, than in the nature of any other sincere practitioner I know....although this makes her an "exception" in the NSS cast, as she is far too gentle to ever assume the more militant aspects...but at any rate, her total sincere connection to the True Nature, even without knowing that this is what she is connected to.... made me aware that dharma lives/is present in, all of Buddha's teachings, no matter how riddled with human obscuration those teachings may become.

                    The Truth is in there (for those ripe to see it).  :D

                    Namo Guru
                    Namo Buddha
                    Namo Dharma
                    Namo Sangha