Re: Explanation of The Six Syllable Mantra

  • Karen
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 30, 2003
      Thank you for this explanation.  I use this mantra regularly in my practice, but had never seen such an explanation.  It gives additonal meaning to my practice.

      Namaste'
      Karen

      "Existence needs you. Without you something will be missing in existence and nobody can replace it."  Osho

      Do you Yahoo!?
    • ngwangdorje
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 6, 2003
        Hello Snoopy,

        I am new to this group and read this. I have another mantra you may
        want to study.

        The 100 Syllable Mantra of Vajrasattva
        (Exactly as presented in Geshe Topgyal's: A Guide to Daily
        Vajrasattva Purification Practice and The Practice of the 35
        Purification Buddhas - A Sharp Weapon for the Total Elimination of
        Inner Darkness Caused by the Delusions and Distorted Emotions)

        OM - is the supreme praise or supreme sound.

        OM Banza Sato Samaya: The Vajrasattva Samayas (one who has mad a
        promise from the beginning of time to help sentient beings purify
        their negatives and karmic obscurations.)

        Manu Palaya Banza Sato: Grant you protection and reside in me,
        Vajrasattva.

        Teno Per Thi Kya Dri Dro Mey Bhawa: Remain firm in me and let me
        recognize my Vajra nature.

        Suto Kyo Yo Mey Bhawa: Make me totally satisfied - by being free
        from conceptualizations.

        Supo Kyo Yo Mey Bhawa: Increase the positive energy within me -
        through non-dual bliss and emptiness.

        Anu Rakto Mey Bhawa: Be loving towards me and let me be
        compassionate (by being free from attachments and aversions which
        give rise to many other disturbing defilements.)

        Sawa Siti Mey Tra ya Tsa: Bestow all the accomplishments and
        spiritual attainments,

        Sawa Kama Sutsa Mey: as well as let all the actions and activities

        Tsi Tam Shri Yam Kuru: of my mind be always virtuous.

        Hung: is the essence seed syllable.

        Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha: symbolizes the 4 Immeasurable Attitudes, 4
        Empowerments, 4 Joys and the 4 Kayas.

        Hoe: is the sound of joyous laughter in them.

        Bha Gha Wana Sava Tathagata: Bhagavan, all the tathagatas,

        Banza Ma Mey Mun Zha: and Vajrasattva, do not abandon me.

        Bhan Zhi Bhawa: Make me indivisible from

        Maha Samaya Sato: you, great Vajrasattva, the promise keeper.

        Ah: signifies uniting in non-duality.

        Hung: is the essence seed syllable of Vajrasattva.

        Phed: signifies intensifying the positive energy and uniting in a
        state of non-duality or a state of purity.

        Courtesy of http://www.scdharmagroup.org

        Namaste,
        Ngwang

        --- In Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com, "Snoopy" <snoopy.doo@n...> wrote:
        > Excellent..forgive my ignorance...do I chant this Mantra over and
        over?? for how long,how many times?? also do you or anybody else
        have any more Mantra's explained in a similar fashion please?

        > Snoopy

        MANI
        > PADME HUNG. Verbal recitation is encouraged as to develop within
        the
        > individual the deepest qualities of mindfulness, compassion and
        peace
        > through the blessings of Avalokiteshvara (Chenrezig) and a pure
        mind.
        > The merit accumulated will be dedicated towards Well-being of
        World
        > Peace, World Economy, World Health and all beings in all realms.
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Service.
      • dzogchenstudent@xemaps.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 6, 2003
          >As has been stated, language is essentially empty of emotions. Emotional
          >to particular words.

          Since that is the case, wouldn't it be more appropriate to translate
          mantras into English....uh..presuming you are an English speaking
          practitioner? Seems the words would have a more positive effect on the
          practitioner if he/she really understood the meaning.....yet all the
          mantras I've learned about are in sanskrit, pali or something that is not
          readily comprehensible to me, at least. Yes?
          No? ..................................TIA, RL

        • Oelund Fairking
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 6, 2003
            I'm not an expert on this, but on some of these things it is the
            nature of the vibrational construct of the syllables themselves that
            are powerful, such as OHM, being a seed syllable. On others such as
            devotional prayers I would ask the same question you are asking, as
            what value is it to me if I am not sure what or who I devoting myself
            to, how can I be stirred, how can I meditate on the meaning and
            import if I do not understand? Hopefully some of the other students
            here with experience in the chant traditions can either maximize of
            minimize the importance of sticking to the Sanskrit.

            Drudche

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          • ngwangdorje
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 7, 2003
              All mantra syllables in sanskrit and tibetan were given to beings by
              great bodhisattvas and buddhas - for example Chenrezig
              (Avalokiteshvara). So in keeping the mantra in the language in which
              it was given to human beings by highly realized and enlightened
              beings allows the mantra to retain the same power as it did when it
              was first given. Drudche is also correct about the vibrational
              construction of the syllables. When you chant them the resonate a
              certain way having a great effect on you and your chakras. Ngwang

              --- In Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com, "Oelund Fairking"

            • Snoopy
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 7, 2003
                Thank you ,I appreciate this....Sorry it took me so long to acknowledge receipt,

                Service.

              • ngwangdorje
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 8, 2003
                  Here is another:

                  The Mantra of Tara

                  Tara's mantra is OM TARE TUTTARE TURE SOHA.

                  OM represents Tara's holy body, speech and mind.

                  TARE means liberating from true suffering, the sufferings of samsara,
                  our aggregates being under the control of delusion and karma.

                  TUTTARE means liberating from the 8 fears, the external dangers, but
                  mainly from the internal dangers, the delusions, and also karma.

                  TURE means liberating from the ignorance of the absolute nature of
                  the I; it shows the true cessation of suffering.

                  SOHA means "may the meaning of the mantra take root in my mind."

                  Also, in the context of the Lam Rim, TARE refers to the graduated
                  path of the lower capable being; TUTTARE refers to the path of the
                  middle capable being; TURE refers to the path of the higher capable
                  being. So the meaning is that by taking refuge in Tara and doing Tara
                  practice, we can achieve the fully enlightened state with the four
                  Kayas, which is the state of cessation of, or liberation from, the
                  two obscurations.

                  From: http://web.singnet.com.sg/~fpmtsing/d-tara.html

                  --- In Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com, "Snoopy" <snoopy.doo@n...> wrote:
                  > Thank you ,I appreciate this....Sorry it took me so long to
                  acknowledge receipt,

                  > Snoopy

                  Service.