Assured & Ascertained Awakening

  • Bhikkhu Samahita
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30 11:24 PM

      Friends:

      Forward and Reverse Causality of the Process of Being Existent:

      So have I heard:
      After 7 days of non-stop sitting meditation in the bliss of Awakening, The Buddha
      in the last watch of the night directed his unified attention to dependent co-arising
      in both forward & reverse order in this very way:

      When this exists, then that exists too...
      When this arises, that arises too...
      When this do not exist, then neither do that exist...
      When this ceases, that ceases too...

      When ignorance arises, mental construction also appears..
      When mental construction arises, consciousness also comes to be..
      When consciousness arises, additionally name-&-form come in to being..
      When name-&-form arises, then the six senses emerge..
      When the six senses arise, then contact is the consequence..
      When contact arises, then feeling is assigned too..
      When feeling arises, then this craving surely follows..
      When craving arises, then clinging too becomes apparent..
      When clinging arises, then the process of becoming is initiated too..
      When becoming arises, then rebirth inevitably also manifests..
      When birth arises, aging & death, sorrow, distress, pain, grief and
      despair also arises. This verily is the origin, the causing, the arising
      of this entire mass of Suffering...

      Consequently, when this very same ignorance is utterly uprooted & vanished,
      then mental construction is tranquilized, all stilled, and it ceases & vanishes..
      When mental construction ceases, then consciousness itself fade away..
      When consciousness ceases, additionally name-&-form terminate too..
      When name-&-form ceases, then the six senses come to an end too..
      When the six senses cease, then contact close down as well..
      When contact ceases, then feeling fade out too..
      When feeling ceases, then craving also evaporate..
      When craving ceases, then clinging is relinquished too..
      When clinging ceases, then becoming inherently comes to an end..
      When becoming ceases, then this process of endless rebirth is exhausted too..
      When birth ceases, aging, death, sorrow, distress, pain, & depression also stops.
      This verily is the cessation, the irreversible End of this whole mass of Suffering...

      Then, he, the Blessed One, on recognizing the profundity of that sequence, exclaimed:
      When the appearance of phenomena becomes clearly manifest to this very Noble Friend
      through rapt meditation, then he is constantly scattering Maras - the Evil One's - army,
      exactly as the sun continuously disperses all darkness, when lighting up the bright sky...

      Source:
      The Udana: Inspired utterances by the Buddha: I  3
      http://www.pariyatti.com/book.cgi?prod_id=404214
      http://www.accesstoinsight.org/canon/khuddaka/udana/index.html

      PS: Please include the word Samahita in any comment, since then
      will my automatic mail filters pick it up and I will see it & respond!!

       Bhikkhu Samahita, Sri Lanka.

       Friendship is the Greatest ...
       Let there be Calm & Free Bliss !!!

      http://www.What-Buddha-Said.org/
       Dhamma-Questions sent to my email are quite Welcome.