The Fingernail of Soil ... !!!

  • Bhikkhu Samahita
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2005

      Friends:

                Not even as much as a Fingernail of Dust Lasts!

      At Savatthi. Seated to the side, a certain bhikkhu asked the
      Blessed One: Is there, Venerable Sir, any form, or any feeling,
      or any perception, or any construction, or any consciousness,
      that is permanent, stable, eternal, not a changing state, that
      will remain the same, just like eternity itself ?
      Then the Blessed One took up a tiny bit of soil on his fingernail
      and said to that bhikkhu: Bhikkhu, there is not even this much
      form, feeling, perception, construction, nor consciousness, that
      is permanent, stable, eternal, not subject to change, that will
      remain the same, just like eternity itself...!!!
      If there was this much form, feeling, perception, construction,
      or consciousness, that was permanent, stable, eternal, and not
      changing, this living of the Noble Life for the utterly complete
      elimination of all suffering, could not be made known...
      But because there is not even this much form, nor feeling, nor any
      perception, nor construction, nor consciousness that is permanent,
      stable, eternal, not subject to change, this living of the Noble Life
      for the complete elimination of all suffering can be made known...

      Source: The Grouped Sayings by the Buddha. Samyutta Nikaya XXII (97); [III 147-9]
      http://www.pariyatti.com/book.cgi?prod_id=948507 An Ocean of Dhamma Teaching!
      http://www.accesstoinsight.org/canon/sutta/samyutta/index.html#Khandha On Clusters!

       PS: Please include the word Samahita in any request, since then
       will my automatic mail filters pick it up and I will see it & respond!

       Bhikkhu Samāhita, Sri Lanka.

       Friendship is the Greatest ...
       Let there be Calm Free Bliss !!!

      http://groups.msn.com/DirectDhamma

       Dhamma-Questions sent to my email are quite Welcome.