What Exists ... ???

  • Bhikkhu Samahita
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 31, 2005

      Friends:

                 What is it that Exists & what does Not Exist ?

      The blessed Buddha said:
      What is it, bhikkhus, that the wise & clever in the world agree
      upon as not existing, of which I too say that it does not exist?
      Form that is permanent, stable, eternal, not subject to change:
      This the wise & clever in the world agree upon as not existing,
      and I too say, that it does not exist. Feeling ... Perception ...
      Mental Constructions ... Consciousness, that is permanent, stable,
      eternal, not subject to change: This the wise & clever in the world
      agree upon as not existing, and I too say, that it does not exist.
      That, bhikkhus, is what the wise & clever in the world agree upon
      as not existing, of which I too say, that it does not exist.
      And what is it, bhikkhus, that the wise & clever in the world agree
      upon as existing, of which I too say that it exists? Form that is
      impermanent, suffering, and subject to change: this the wise &
      clever in the world agree upon as existing, and I too say, that it
      exists! Transient Feeling ... Perception ... Mental Constructions ...
      Consciousness, that is momentary, suffering, & subject to change:
      this the wise & clever in the world agree upon as existing, & I too
      say that it exists! That, bhikkhus is what the wise & clever in this
      world agree upon as existing, of which I too say that it exists...

      Source: The Grouped Sayings by the Buddha. Samyutta Nikaya XXII (94); [III 139]
      http://www.pariyatti.com/book.cgi?prod_id=948507 An Ocean of Dhamma Teaching!
      http://www.accesstoinsight.org/canon/sutta/samyutta/index.html#Khandha On Clusters!

       PS: Please include the word Samahita in any comment, since then
       will my automatic mail filters pick it up and I will see it & respond!

       Bhikkhu Samāhita, Sri Lanka.

       Friendship is the Greatest ...
       Let there be Calm Free Bliss !!!

      http://groups.msn.com/DirectDhamma

       Dhamma-Questions sent to my email are quite Welcome.