New to Buddhism

  • Esta Denroche
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 19, 2003
      Dear John,

      I read that you are new to Buddhism - how wonderful! A fresh mind and a fresh heart!

      I am not so new to Buddhism (but new to this group) and yet I always feel like a beginner. Every time I read basic teachings, I feel that there is something new to learn, something that I have missed up till now or perhaps also something I did not want to hear.

      What would I suggest for you? Yes, I find the websites very confusing, too - all lineages and different schools. Websites, beautiful Buddhas, etc. can be supportive but also very distracting. There is no getting away from the fact that one has to get down one of these days to 'doing' Buddhism or, perhaps better said, 'being' Buddhism (I am still trying to grasp this!). You know, accepting yourself as you are, loving yourself, developing more compassion for others and, yes, meditating.

      I find simple mindfulness meditation to be the be-all-and-end-all of Buddhism - just sitting regularly with oneself for only 10 minutes a day. I find it a lot more difficult than it sounds. Perhaps you can find a caring meditation teacher or someone to meditate with. If not, I would greatly recommend the book, 'Turning the Mind into an Ally' from Sakyong Mipham (he also has a very clear, helpful website, www.mipham.com ). It is the best, most down-to-earth book I have ever read on Buddhist meditation. It shows great understanding for Westerners approaching Buddhism. The books by Pema Chödrön are also very supportive - also for old hands who are stuck or frustrated.

      Much love and support on your path,
      Deni.
    • Julie
      Message 2 of 10 , May 31 3:06 PM
        Hello to all,
        I am relatively new and am searching for a path. I am currently a
        pagan and am still searching. I have a friend who is a buddhist and
        she has introduced me to a lot, but I would like to learn more. I do
        not like to sound ignorant because I hold several theological degrees.
        However, Buddhism is not one of them. I have very little knowledge in
        this area but I see the peace within her and it's what I've been
        looking for. I am also currently writing the Saghatra Sutra and I've
        gained a lot from that simply because I beieve I was meant to write
        it. If anyone can help me out I am open to all suggestions. Thank you
        for listening to me and may peace be with you all!

        Sincerely,
        Julie
      • Julie

          Message 4 of 10 , May 31 3:22 PM
            Hey Julie!

            Welcome to the group from another Julie!  I am also relatively new to Buddhism.  I have been reading and toying with the idea for several years now, but finally made a very conscience and deliberate decision in the direction of Buddhism about six months ago.

            I think the most important thing for me  has been to take only one bite at a time and chew thoroughly!  That sounds silly, but the concept or philosophy of Buddhism is very deep and very simple all at the same time. It is still very overwhelming for me at times.  I find myself going back and rereading things months later and the meaning is totally different than I first thought.  Although my first impressions aren't incorrect they usually are only skimming the surface of what is truly meant.

            There are some very knowledgeable people on this list that are wonderful with answering specific questions.

            Julie
          • Rhonda Carpenter
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 1, 2005
              Hi, Julie and welcome :)  There are many fine teachers on the group who are willing to share their insights, their own experiences, and their teachers' words.  Stay tuned!

              Rhonda

              Julie <stormrowan@...> wrote:
              Hello to all,
              I am relatively new and am searching for a path. I am currently a
              pagan and am still searching. I have a friend who is a buddhist and
              she has introduced me to a lot, but I would like to learn more. I do
              not like to sound ignorant because I hold several theological degrees.
              However, Buddhism is not one of them. I have very little knowledge in
              this area but I see the peace within her and it's what I've been
              looking for. I am also currently writing the Saghatra Sutra and I've
              gained a lot from that simply because I beieve I was meant to write
              it. If anyone can help me out I am open to all suggestions. Thank you
              for listening to me and may peace be with you all!

              Sincerely,
              Julie

              Spring colors are a visual feast in every shade and hue.  In the fresh light of spring, greens are iridescent, reds flame, pinks blush, and yellows glow as blue skies brighten our spirits.

              http://mail.yahoo.com

            • Joshua
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 19, 2006
                Greetings all!
                I am new to the group and wanted to introduced myself. My name is Josh
                and I am currently living in Northern Japan. I am 21 and married, no
                kids. My wife and I have recently decided to pursue learning Tibetan
                Buddhism. If anyone has any good tips for beginning in this tradition
                of Buddhism, anything from mantras to altar set up and offerings,
                please share, I would greatly appreciate it. I look forward to meeting
                you all!

                Josh
              • silver_dancer33
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 19, 2006
                  --- In Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com, "Joshua" <wizardyone@...> wrote:
                  >Hello Josh..and greetings to your wife. My name is Sara and I live in
                  th U.S. I am a married 34 year old mother of 5. I am also new to
                  Tibetan Buddhism. Maybe we could take this journey to enlightenment
                  together. I also want to know about Japanese culture. What I have seen
                  facinates me! Feel free to personally e-mail me any time okay and of
                  course, your wife is welcome to also.Blessings to you both!!
                  > Greetings all!
                  > I am new to the group and wanted to introduced myself. My name is
                  Josh
                  > and I am currently living in Northern Japan. I am 21 and married, no
                  > kids. My wife and I have recently decided to pursue learning Tibetan
                  > Buddhism. If anyone has any good tips for beginning in this tradition
                  > of Buddhism, anything from mantras to altar set up and offerings,
                  > please share, I would greatly appreciate it. I look forward to
                  meeting
                  > you all!
                  >
                  > Josh

                • KRISTIN
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 19, 2006
                    Hi newbies,
                    I am Kristin a newbie too. One site that helped me was a Buddhist penpal site. You can post a message there and answer other posts. There are people there at all different levels of Buddhism all over the world. The site is
                    www.geocities.com/SouthBeach/Pointe/5640/index1.html
                    If the link doesn't work copy and paste it in your url.
                    Kristin

                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 20, 2006
                      Dear Josh,

                      Welcome to the group. It's always good to welcome a new person. I hope
                      you become a frequent vistor and poster to this site.

                      As to setting up a shrine (or altar or SPOT as I prefer) please see my
                      posting # 7406 by entering this number at the top of the page and
                      press the "GO" button (I prefer not to have to type all over again --
                      my skills in that regard are minimal) for some thoughts.

                      I uploaded two pictures of my SPOT in the Photos section you may want
                      to view for ideas. My SPOT may seem a little elaborate to some but it
                      has been a growth process. Maybe others on this site would like to
                      share photos of their SPOTs (shrines if you prefer) for other ideas.

                      Start out simply with the basics as I stated in my posting -- a photo
                      or statue of Buddha Sakyamuni. Since you express the interest in the
                      Tibetan tradition you should include seven bowls for water as well as
                      incense. I'm interested in why the Tibetan tradition since I thought
                      Zen was so prevalent in Japan. Anyway, you can check this website for
                      particulars: http://www.snowlionpub.com/pages/altar.php

                      I hope this is of some assistance.

                      May all be at peace.

                      John
                    • Joshua
                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 20, 2006
                        John,
                        Thank you for your reply. I will check out your posting as soon as I
                        finish replying to ya. As to why Tibetan instead of Zen, Tibetan
                        just seemed to attract me more. I am not Japanese, and know very
                        little about Zen. Tibetan just seemed to pique my interest. Thanks!

                        Josh

                        --- In Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com, "John Pellecchia" <pellejf@...>