The Skin: Name & Fame ... !!!

  • Bhikkhu Samahita
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2005

      Friends:

                 Sliced by Praise, Fame, Respect, Gain and Honour:

      At Savatthi the blessed Buddha said: Friends, horrible are gains
      honour, fame, name and praise! It is as they cut through the outer
      skin, then through the inner skin, then through the flesh, then
      through the sinews, then right through to the bone! Having cut
      through the bone, they slice the marrow itself... So terrible indeed
      friends, are gains, honour, fame, name and praise...
      They are as if splattering pig bile over a mad dogs nose, bitter, vile,
      wicked, tricky, obstructive to achieving this incomparable security
      from domination...!!! Friends, I have known of a certain person here
      whose mind I penetrated with my own mind and thereby realized:
      This venerable one would not tell a deliberate lie, even for the sake
      of his own life! Yet, sometime later, I see him telling a deliberate lie,
      because his mind was overwhelmed & obsessed by gains, honour, fame,
      name & praise... So destructive, friends, are gains, honour, fame, name
      and praise, so bitter, so vile & blocking any achievement of matchless
      security from bondage!!! Therefore, friends, you should train yourselves
      thus: 'We will leave behind any arisen gain, honour, fame, name & praise
      and we will not let any arisen gain, honour, fame, name and praise remain
      obsessing & consuming our minds Thus should you train yourselves... !!!

      Source:
      The Grouped Sayings by the Buddha. Samyutta Nikaya II 238-9
      http://www.pariyatti.com/book.cgi?prod_id=948507
      http://www.accesstoinsight.org/canon/samyutta/index.html

       PS: Dhamma Videos & Sacred Ancient sites: http://dharmavahini.tv/

       Friendship is the Greatest !