Mindfulness

  • chandradickson1974
    Message 1 of 9 , May 28, 2005
      Dear group,

      This is my issue of the day. Mindfulness and how to obtain it and
      what excatly it means. I find myslef never bing in the moment that wya
      I feel that I should be. Even now as I was laying down the sweetest
      three year old to sleep, since he had fallen alseep on my lap, I was
      thinking about this email I was going to write to the group and not at
      all about how sweet he look curl up next to his pet tiger. I know that
      this is part of my problem with practice as of late. When I am
      meditating I find it easy to be in that monent but the rest of the day
      I am either thinking about what has happened or what will happen and
      never in the moent of what is happening and feel that I am losing out
      on something inbetween. Has any one else had a problem with this?

      Blessing and love
      Chandra
    • Ken/
      Message 2 of 9 , May 29, 2005
        Hi, Chandra.
        Yes, it's very difficult to be mindful when not on the
        pillow. That is why the pillow meditation consists of
        seeing the thoughts, recognizing them as empty,and
        letting them go. Do you do this type of meditation?
        This is a practice of training for the mind, it helps
        in concemtration by bending our mind in that direction
        instead of allowing it to just bounce around (this is
        called monkey-mind). Once you can step bacvk and watch
        the thoughts start and then letting them go without
        following, then you r daily life will contain more
        concentration on a single task.
        Look at your daily life as another type of meditation.
        When doing a specific task, really get into it. As
        other thoughts creep in, see them as empty thoughts
        and release them. pull your attention back to the task
        at hand. This does not mean to ignore everything else.
        Of course, with a child , that's impossible. It's not
        correct, anyhow. When a change of tasks is necessary,
        change and release the thoughts of getting back to the
        old task.

        If you have been folling my lessons on meditation for
        beginners, there may be something in the archives that
        may help. I was going to develop mindfulness, but
        people seemed (at the time) to be interested in
        empowerments and such and so I switched to a basic
        visualization tack. If you have been taught walking
        meditation, it is a great way to develop better
        mindfulness.

        Ken/
        --- chandradickson1974 <chandradickson1974@...>
        wrote:

        > Dear group,
        >
        > This is my issue of the day. Mindfulness and how to
        > obtain it and
        > what excatly it means. I find myslef never bing in
        > the moment that wya
        > I feel that I should be. Even now as I was laying
        > down the sweetest
        > three year old to sleep, since he had fallen alseep
        > on my lap, I was
        > thinking about this email I was going to write to
        > the group and not at
        > all about how sweet he look curl up next to his pet
        > tiger. I know that
        > this is part of my problem with practice as of late.
        > When I am
        > meditating I find it easy to be in that monent but
        > the rest of the day
        > I am either thinking about what has happened or what
        > will happen and
        > never in the moent of what is happening and feel
        > that I am losing out
        > on something inbetween. Has any one else had a
        > problem with this?
        >
        > Blessing and love
        > Chandra

        > --------------------~-->
        > Would you Help a Child in need?
        > It is easier than you think.
        > Click Here to meet a Child you can help.

        http://us.click.yahoo.com/sTR6_D/I_qJAA/i1hLAA/GkEylB/TM

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Rhonda Carpenter
        Message 3 of 9 , May 29, 2005
          Chandra,

          Yes, I have this problem, too.  Getting up off the cushion and the world crashes in...doorbell rings, phone rings, cats want fed, etc.  I think mindfulness of the moment is learning to carry that meditation moment into your daily movements.  Perhaps by telling yourself to "slow down and be aware" you might be able to gain the mind set you want?  It's something to work on over and over, every day, and someday you will get it, I think, a little at a time, a glimpse, a minute, a few minutes and soon you may be able to carry that mindfulness through a lot of your day.

          Wishing us all time to slow down and enjoy the precious moments in our lives,

          Rhonda

[...]

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          Spring colors are a visual feast in every shade and hue.  In the fresh light of spring, greens are iridescent, reds flame, pinks blush, and yellows glow as blue skies brighten our spirits.

          Do You Yahoo!?

        • Chandra Dickson
          Message 4 of 9 , May 29, 2005
            Hello,

             I have been taught walking medtation and the temple that I have been going to even though I do not at all speak any Vitamense and they speak very little English( I wrotethat group last week about my experinces there) do walking medation almost everyday. I have been using the  type of medtation that you have been teaching to the group for about five years now on and off and have always found ot so easy on the pillow so now I'm going to try to do what you have suggested and just try to think about the task at hand. I am always trying to do so many things at once maybe I should just stop and try and just do that one thing, finsih it and  than move on to the next. Thanks Ken.

            Blessings and love,
            Chandra

            wrote:

            >  Dear group,
            >
            >  This is my issue of the day. Mindfulness and how to
            > obtain it and
            > what excatly it means. I find myslef never bing in
            > the moment that wya
            > I feel that I should be. Even now as I was laying
            > down the sweetest
            > three year old to sleep, since he had fallen alseep
            > on my lap, I was
            > thinking about this email I was going to write to
            > the group and not at
            > all about how sweet he look curl up next to his pet
            > tiger. I know that
            > this is part of my problem with practice as of late.
            > When I am
            > meditating I find it easy to be in that monent but
            > the rest of the day
            > I am either thinking about what has happened or what
            > will happen and
            > never in the moent of what is happening and feel
            > that I am losing out
            > on something inbetween. Has any one else had a
            > problem with this?
            >
            > Blessing and love
            > Chandra

            > --------------------~-->
            > Would you Help a Child in need?
            > It is easier than you think.
            > Click Here to meet a Child you can help.

            http://us.click.yahoo.com/sTR6_D/I_qJAA/i1hLAA/GkEylB/TM

            http://mail.yahoo.com

          • Wanderjahr
            Message 5 of 9 , May 29, 2005
              Re: [Buddhism_101] Mindfulness Hi Chandra,

              Yes, I find it hard to stay mindful throughout the day but I have found that taking a few moments to concentrate on my breathing helpful in bringing back mindfulness.  Just stop, and breathe.  Sounds so simple but it's hard to keep up over time.  I guess focusing on the breathing is a reminder like hearing the meditation bell, a reminder to be awake and not lost in thought.  Thich Nat Hahn has encouraged telephone meditation...whenever the phone rings you return to your breath for a few seconds before answering the phone.  I do a version of this whenever a car passes by my house.  I send out metta wishing them well.  I say to myself "May you be well, healthy, happy and safe."  That makes me mindful of the humanity around me.  It's very soothing to wish strangers and neighbors well, takes the pressure off, opens up the space in my heart.  You can probably find something in your daily routine to choose to do in a mindful manner, like washing the dishes.  That makes me think of Thich Nat Hahn again.  What a good teacher he is on mindfulness!  I remember a story he told about sitting under a tree with a friend while they both ate oranges (I think).  The friend went on talking and Thich Nat Hahn told him he wasn't eating the orange but, rather, eating his thoughts.  I think of this when I eat and try not to let myself be distracted while I gratefully eat something.  Hope this helps a bit.

              Kate :)

              Message 6 of 9 , May 29, 2005
                Chandra, mindfullness is not necessary and easy thing.
                And, it is especially difficult for lay westerners who
                have to juggle life in the world and learning to
                practiuce Dharma. Don't beat yourself up over it. It
                took me many years to even find a little mindfulness
                off-the-cushion. It is still not easy, and I have to
                work at it.

                Ken/

                --- Chandra Dickson <chandradickson1974@...>

              • zencarbonform
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 1, 2005
                  Always, I have a problem with this.
                  Acknowledging the problem however, is evidence of being somewhat mindful.
                  It reminds me of the Diamond Sutra in which we are reminded that we
                  can not retain past thought, we can not hold onto present thought, and
                  we can not reach future thought. So Chandra, which thought are you
                  experiencing as you read this reply?

                  There it went.

                  Now a new one.

                  That one too…

                  Namaste.
                  Good luck always and be diligent.

                  -Scott

                  --- In Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com, "chandradickson1974"
                  <chandradickson1974@y...> wrote:
                  > Dear group,
                  >
                  > This is my issue of the day. Mindfulness and how to obtain it and
                  > what excatly it means. I find myslef never bing in the moment that wya
                  > I feel that I should be. Even now as I was laying down the sweetest
                  > three year old to sleep, since he had fallen alseep on my lap, I was
                  > thinking about this email I was going to write to the group and not at
                  > all about how sweet he look curl up next to his pet tiger. I know that
                  > this is part of my problem with practice as of late. When I am
                  > meditating I find it easy to be in that monent but the rest of the day
                  > I am either thinking about what has happened or what will happen and
                  > never in the moent of what is happening and feel that I am losing out
                  > on something inbetween. Has any one else had a problem with this?
                  >
                  > Blessing and love
                  > Chandra
                • SJ Garette
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 29, 2008
                    Hi All,

                    When people take the trouble to breath fresh air, good health proves to them the value of their effort.  So too, a meditator who has experienced deep practice, even nirvana, will truly know what mindfulness is worth.

                    (from Sayadaw U Pandita in In This Very Life)

                    Blessings,

                    Jade

                  • SJ Garette
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 30 9:25 AM
                      Hi Everyone,

                      There's no need to go searching for anything special; just live normally.
                      But know where your mind is. Live mindfully and comprehend clearly. Let wisdom be your guide; don't live indulging in your moods. Be heedful and alert. If there is nothing that's fine; when something arises investigate it and contemplate it.

                      (Ajahn Chah in Food For The Heart)

                      Greetings,

                      Jade