Giving is Getting ...!!!

  • Bhikkhu Samahita
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2005
      Friends:
      Generosity is the First Mental Perfection (Parami):

      RIGHT PRAISING
      The miser cannot go divine.
      The fool cannot praise giving.
      The clever though rejoice in giving,
      thereby winning bliss in the next world.

      Dhammapada 177

      TOOLS
      One can only overcome anger with kindness.
      One can only conquer evil with good.
      One can only win the miser by giving gifts.
      One can only convince the liar with truth.

      Dhammapada 223

      WEEDS
      Weeds ruin a field.
      Greed ruins a human.
      Therefore, alms given to beings
      who are freed from greed, yield
      great fruit ...
      Dhammapada 356

      WELL PLACED
      Weeds ruin a field.
      Greed ruins a human.
      Therefore, alms given to beings
      who are freed from anger, yield
      great fruit ...
      Dhammapada 357

      NOT MISTY
      Weeds ruin a field.
      Greed ruins a human.
      Therefore, alms given to beings
      who are freed from confusion, yield
      great fruit ...
      Dhammapada 358

      COOLED
      Weeds ruin a field.
      Greed ruins a human.
      Therefore, alms given to beings
      who are freed from the pull of attraction,
      yield great fruit ...
      Dhammapada 359

      CONSEQUENCE:

      So have I heard:
      On a certain occasion the Blessed One smiled and exclaimed:
      'Merit grows for one who gives.'
      Anger cannot grow for one in control.
      The clever One avoids detrimental action.
      With attraction, aversion & confusion exhausted,
      such One is released, finally freed from ill.'

      Udana - Inspiration: VIII - 5

      GENEROSITY:

      And what is the treasure of generosity?
      When a disciple of the Noble Ones whose
      mentality is all cleared of disgracing miserliness,
      living at home, is freely generous & open-handed,
      delighting in being magnanimous,
      responsive to every request &,
      enjoying the giving of alms.
      Such is this treasure called generosity."

      AN VII 6

      ---

      Just as a filled pot, which is overturned
      pours out all its water, leaving nothing back,
      even & exactly so should one give to those in need.
      whether low, middle or high, like the overturned pot,
      holding nothing back.

      Jataka Nidana [128-129]

      ---

      The Generosity of Giving,
      The Kindness in Speech,
      The Benefit of Service,
      The Impartiality treating all Alike,
      These 4 threads of sympathy
      upholds this world like the axle do the cart.

      AN II 32

      ---

      Giving food, one gives & gets strength
      Giving clothes, one gives & gets beauty
      Giving light, one gives & gets vision
      Giving transportation, one gives & gets ease.
      Giving shelter one gives all,
      Yet one who instructs in the True Dhamma
      - The supreme Teaching of the Buddhas -
      Such one gives the quite divine ambrosia!

      SN I 32

      ---

      These are these five rewards of generosity:
      One is liked and charming to people at large,
      One is admired & respected by wise people,
      one's good reputation is spread wide about,
      One does not neglect a householder's true duties,
      and with the break-up of the body - at the moment
      of death - one reappears in a happy destination,
      in the plane of the divine worlds.

      AN V.35

      ---

      There are these two kinds of gifts:
      material gifts & gifts of Dhamma.
      The supreme gift is that of Dhamma.
      There are these two kinds of sharing:
      material sharing & sharing of Dhamma.
      The supreme sharing is that of Dhamma.
      There are these two kinds of help:
      Material help & help with the Dhamma.
      This is the supreme of the two:
      help with the Dhamma .

      It 98

      ---

      The gift of Dhamma exceeds all other gifts.

      Dhammapada 354

      ---

      The Bodhisatta once as king Sivi gave
      both his eyes to a beggar who was Sakka the
      king deity in disguise, who desired to test him.
      He remembered "While I was wishing to give,
      while I was giving and after this giving there
      was neither contrariety nor opposition in mind as
      it was for the purpose of awakening itself!
      Neither were these eyes nor the rest of myself
      disagreeable to me. Omniscience was dear to me,
      therefore I gave the eyes."

      The Basket of Conduct
      Cariyapitaka I-8
      Full story: Sivi Jataka no. 499.

      ---

      The Bodhisatta once as the Wise Hare gave
      his roasted body as alms by jumping into a fire:
      He remembered: "There came a beggar and asked
      for food. Myself I gave so that he might eat. In alms
      there was none equal to me. In alms I had thereby
      reached ultimate perfection."
      From then & the rest of this world-cycle the moon
      will display a characteristic 'hare-in-the-moon' sign.

      Sasa-Jataka no. 316

      ---

      Giving of things, treasures, external possessions, job,
      position, wife, & child is the first perfection of giving.
      Giving the offer of one's organs, limbs, & senses is
      the second higher perfection of giving.
      Giving the sacrifice of one's life is the ultimate
      perfection of giving.

      The clarifier of sweet meaning 89
      (Commentary on Buddhavamsa)
      Madhuratthavilasini [59]
      Buddhadatta: 5th century.

      ---

      Generosity is the first perfection (parami)

      Come On Now !
      This One is the first one to adopt, practice,
      develop, refine, & perfect resolutely:
      Acquire Perfection in your Giving then
      you can attain to the absolute of Wisdom.

      Jataka Nidana (introduction)

      Friendship is the Greatest !
      and the entire Noble Life...

      Bhikkhu Samahita, Sri Lanka.

      http://groups.msn.com/DirectDhamma
      http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/TrueDhamma

      Dhamma-Questions sent to my email are quite Welcome.