Re: [Buddhism_101] On Tabula Rasa

  • CLEOCATRAs@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 5, 2003
      In a message dated 10/5/2003 12:08:10 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Kindnsruls@... writes:

      There is no "blank slate" at birth in Buddhism.
      All beings carry with them the seeds of karma, past action, and the tendencies to repeat these actions.
      The conditions of birth are caused by this karma, and these conditions present influence, and possibilities during the life lived....karma is mutable....but babies are most certainly not blank slates/Tabual Rasa in Buddhist View.

      I have no quarrel with another's belief, and all are free to believe what/as they wish, however this is not a Buddhist belief, and should not be taken as such.

      May All Beings Be Happy.

             Joyce

      Very true, Joyce. I think you read way too much into what I was saying.
    • CLEOCATRAs@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 5, 2003

        Perhaps reflection on the blank slate theory in child development would be helpful. A person is born and lives in a certain culture, with predetermined parents, and other features of environment.

        This example was never meant to be construed as an aspect of a religion. it only served as an example of how a person becomes who they are, and why some of it can be almost predeterminable.