Re: hello--Music

  • Scott
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 4, 2005
      Music for me is dropping off. I hear Joyce when she talks about the
      generated anger coming from many of the songs I used to listen to and
      also sang in bands for a long time. Faith No More, The Clash, Sex
      Pistols, Black Flag, Ministry, just to name a few. These were at the
      top of my favorites. I can't see following the way of the Buddha and
      listening to much of that anymore. I hear that rap stuff, with the
      lethal lyrics and I have to shut it out. I know what you mean when you
      talk about the "tight bond", but I can feel that when I hear things
      more of a peaceful nature, like some of the Mississipi delta blues,
      Ravi Shankar, Pink Floyd [not all of it]. Music is a feeling that is
      expressed in a medium. I am a musician that now strives to create
      that. I hope that is helpful.

      -Scott

      --- In Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com, "guess" <toni_hoffer@y...> wrote:

      > I have a few questions--
      > Im studying as much as possible and the small town I live in doesn't
      > have a temple--so the information im getting is predominately from the
      > library and from the internet.
      > I find it EXTREMELY difficult to follow the precepts-am I supposed
      > to be following them? or is it just for monks. what is especially hard
      > is sex and music --music is a part of me with a bond so tight I cannot
      > express. And I know other buddhist women have sex--Im not promiscuous
      > by any means--but
      > Am I seriously missing something here??
    • nancy lemke
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 8, 2005
        ---
        there is much beautiful classical and other beautiful music iin the
        world. it can relax a person and ready them for meditation. it can
        just relax them from daily living. music is good for mind. namaste,
        vishaka