A Question on types of Buddism

  • ChrisM
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 28, 2005
      Is there anyone who can give a concise breakdown of the traditions
      within Buddism. I am speaking more specifically of the Theravana,
      Mayahana, Vadjrayana and Zen traditions (I'm sorry for butchering
      the spellings, but I hope you know what I mean). I am getting
      confused over the different classifications of suttas and texts.

      Thanks,
      Chris
    • Greg
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2005
        I have found this web site to be a very useful tool for information
        on buddhism. http://www.buddhanet.net

        Greg

        --- In Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com, "ChrisM" <envirorider@y...>
        wrote:

        > Is there anyone who can give a concise breakdown of the traditions
        > within Buddism. I am speaking more specifically of the Theravana,
        > Mayahana, Vadjrayana and Zen traditions (I'm sorry for butchering
        > the spellings, but I hope you know what I mean). I am getting
        > confused over the different classifications of suttas and texts.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Chris
      • Ken/
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 2, 2005
          I'm not exactly sure what you want, Chris. Let me try
          this:

          Theravada or "The Path of the Elders" is one of
          several Buddhist traditions originally from India. It
          is the only one of these, left, after the Muslims
          moved into India and wiped out the others. Theravada
          survived because it had spread out to other countries.
          It uses Pali as it's language for it's writings. You
          will find words like Sutta, Dhamma, Gotama, etc.
          Theravada protects the original words of the Buddha
          and his teachings. You will find it in Sri Lanka,
          Burma, Thailand, Cambodia, and a little in Vietnam. A
          Theravada practitioner practices for himself, and this
          brings great generosity and compassion.

          Mahayana is called the "Messianic Path". It includes
          Vajrayana (some in India, Nepal, and Tibet), and Chen
          (Chinese), which later developed into Zen (Japan,
          Korea, and Vietnam). It, too, survived because of it's
          diversification to other countries. Sanskrit is the
          original language of it's texts and you will find
          words comparable to the Pali in Sutra, Dharma,
          Gautama, etc (This is called Hinayana). While Mahayana
          uses the teachings found in the Pali, it also has many
          teachings developed later by great philosophers and
          teachers both in India and later in the country of
          it's use. A Mahayana practitioner practices compassion
          as part of his practice that will bring him to be a
          Bodhisattva. A Bodhisattva is an enlightened being
          who, out of compassion, forgoes nirvana in order to
          save others.

          That's only a start, I hope it helps.
          peace,
          Ken/
          --- ChrisM <envirorider@...> wrote:

          > Is there anyone who can give a concise breakdown of
          > the traditions
          > within Buddism. I am speaking more specifically of
          > the Theravana,
          > Mayahana, Vadjrayana and Zen traditions (I'm sorry
          > for butchering
          > the spellings, but I hope you know what I mean). I
          > am getting
          > confused over the different classifications of
          > suttas and texts.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Chris

          > What would our lives be like without music, dance,
          > and theater?
          > Donate or volunteer in the arts today at Network for
          > Good!

          http://us.click.yahoo.com/WwRTUD/SOnJAA/i1hLAA/GkEylB/TM

          Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!