Two activities: one at the beginning and one at the end.

  • Kindnsruls@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 26, 2005

      Two activities: one at the beginning and one at the end.

      At the beginning of the day one wakes up and one think I am beginning a new day and as much as I'm able today I'm going to practice the Bodhicitta and the mind training, the ultimate Bodhicitta which is the emptiness and the relative Bodhicitta which is the loving kindness and compassion and the wish to bring all sentient beings to the level of enlightenment. I'm going to practice this mind training as much as I am able to.

      Then one practices as much as one can throughout the daytime one can meditate throughout the day with whatever activity one is involved with. Whilst driving a car or walking around, or working one continually has this mindfulness and remembers the aspiration one made in the morning. When you are about to go sleep at night one checks what has happened during the day and reviews how the day has gone.

      If one realizes that one has been able to generate some Bodhicitta no matter how small during the day then one rejoices in that and one dedicates it thinking that all the Buddha's and bodhisattvas of the ten directions are before one in space and I dedicate all the merit that I have accumulated during my practice of Bodhicitta during the daytime. You dedicate it to the benefit of all sentient beings so one can take all sentient beings to the level of enlightenment.

      If one realizes that one has accumulated some negativity during the day then one makes confession and purifies that. At this time when one is about to go to bed and one reviews the day and thinks well, I wasn't even able to generate one tiny piece of Bodhicitta today and I am a useless practitioner, I'm not a good meditator at all I am totally bad, one shouldn't think like that. The reason we shouldn't be depressed is that from beginningless time we have been traveling around in Samsara and it's difficult to remove that kind of habit.

      If it was possible that one could practice Bodhicitta completely in one day properly and correctly then within one week one would be enlightened. Then it would be very easy wouldn't it! But it doesn't happen like that. If one creates the cause by practicing the Bodhicitta now, then in the next lifetime or further than that one can achieve enlightenment. So one thinks well, I have done the best I can today and tomorrow I will do better and later on I will do better. Also when one is practicing the mind training and you think I have achieved quite a high level of Bodhicitta and there is no one else like this I am such a good person. Then one's pride will increase and at that moment one has to recognize that one has given rise to pride and has given rise to a fault. The two activities, one at the beginning and one at the end means starting off the day with the aspiration and finishing with a review of the days activities.

    • Kindnsruls@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 2, 2005
[...]

        If one realizes that one has been able to generate some Bodhicitta no matter how small during the day then one rejoices in that and one dedicates it thinking that all the Buddha's and bodhisattvas of the ten directions are before one in space and I dedicate all the merit that I have accumulated during my practise of Bodhicitta during the daytime. You dedicate it to the benefit of all sentient beings so one can take all sentient beings to the level of enlightenment.

        If one realizes that one has accumulated some negativity during the day then one makes confession and purifies that. At this time when one is about to go to bed and one reviews the day and thinks well, I wasn't even able to generate one tiny piece of Bodhicitta toady and I am a useless practitioner, I'm not a good meditator at all I am totally bad, one shouldn't think like that. The reason we shouldn't be depressed is that from beginningless time we have been traveling around in Samsara and it's difficult to remove that kind of habit.

[...]

        The Very Venerable Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche