Re: [Buddhism_101] Re: Hey, I need everyones help!

  • lauren
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 1, 2005
      Hi,
      It's dogma (I like CATma better, lol.)
      thanks
      Lauren
      "Whether they be the musician cats in my band or the real cats of
      the world,
      they all got style."
      --Ray Charles
      http://www.radiantsoy.com
      the no carb, no fat smell good way to success!
      Enter up to once a day for a free candle at -
      http://www.candlesaglow.biz
      http://www.catliness.com
      to sign up for CATLINES

      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 1, 2005
        You will be happy to know that you are right where you
        are supposed to be and are doing just what you are
        supposed to do. You do have the option of taking your
        time. Read, meditate, communicate.

        --- Ricci Tramel <riccitramel@...> wrote:

        > Hello my friends. I am new to Buddhism. I was
        > Methodist, then
        > Baptist, then Episcopalian and it was there that I
        > was introduced to
        > Buddhism, whether that was their intention or not.
        > Many believe it is
        > only a way of life, but I believe it to be a
        > religion and way of life.
        > As I start studying this wonderful view of the
        > world, I can see that
        > there is so much information, so many big words, so
        > many peoples
        > names... I am overwhelmed and almost don't know
        > where to start. I
        > have bought a few books such as books by the Dalai
        > Lama on the Four
        > Noble Truths and the Eightfold Path, but beyond that
        > I am lost. If
        > any of you have any advice or can help point me in
        > the right
        > direction. I don't have to work, so I am free 24
        > hours a day to study
        > and meditate, but I don't even know how to meditate
        > properly. I could
        > use some advice as to where to start, then where to
        > go from there, and
        > eventually I will hopefully learn many of the things
        > that I read as I
        > scan through the books and internet. I am in
        > Jackson, Mississippi and
        > we have no retreat site or meeting place. I think I
        > am about the only
        > Buddist in Mississippi. Anyway, thanks for any and
        > all of the help
        > you can give me. It might be best to send it to me
        > directly at
        > <riccitramel@...> or I will read it here.
        > Thanks!

      • Scott Meeker
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 1, 2005
          Here's how RELIGION is defined @ dictionary.com:

          1. Belief in and reverence for a supernatural
          power or powers regarded as creator and governor of
          the universe.
          2. A personal or institutionalized system
          grounded in such belief and worship.
          2. The life or condition of a person in a religious
          order.
          3. A set of beliefs, values, and practices based on
          the teachings of a spiritual leader.
          4. A cause, principle, or activity pursued with
          zeal or conscientious devotion.

          ---- I guess I am more comfortable with 3 and 4.

          --- Kraig Mottar <kraig.mottar@...> wrote:

          > What is a religion?
          >

          > --- In Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com, "Ricci Tramel"
          > <riccitramel@y...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello my friends. I am new to Buddhism. I was
          > Methodist, then
          > > Baptist, then Episcopalian and it was there that I
          > was introduced to
          > > Buddhism, whether that was their intention or not.
          > Many believe it is
          > > only a way of life, but I believe it to be a
          > religion and way of life.
          > > As I start studying this wonderful view of the
          > world, I can see that
          > > there is so much information, so many big words,
          > so many peoples
          > > names... I am overwhelmed and almost don't know
          > where to start. I
          > > have bought a few books such as books by the Dalai
          > Lama on the Four
          > > Noble Truths and the Eightfold Path, but beyond
          > that I am lost. If
          > > any of you have any advice or can help point me in
          > the right
          > > direction. I don't have to work, so I am free 24
          > hours a day to study
          > > and meditate, but I don't even know how to
          > meditate properly. I could
          > > use some advice as to where to start, then where
          > to go from there, and
          > > eventually I will hopefully learn many of the
          > things that I read as I
          > > scan through the books and internet. I am in
          > Jackson, Mississippi and
          > > we have no retreat site or meeting place. I think
          > I am about the only
          > > Buddist in Mississippi. Anyway, thanks for any
          > and all of the help
          > > you can give me. It might be best to send it to
          > me directly at
          > > <riccitramel@y...> or I will read it here.
          > Thanks!

        • Ken/
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 1, 2005
            Hi, Ricci, welcome aboard.
            I used to teach meditation some (many) years ago and
            am working to adapt my old lesson plans to online use,
            but have been very busy and haven't had time to work
            on it. Hopefully, in the near future, we'll be able to
            hold some lessons, here on this list, if there are
            some interested.
            Believe me, it may seem like your the only one , in
            Mississippi, interesed in Buddhism, but there are
            others. I live in a rural part of Ohio, and the
            feelings are similar.
            Peace,
            Ken/

            http://us.click.yahoo.com/kx_54C/I_qJAA/i1hLAA/GkEylB/TM

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Kraig Mottar
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 1, 2005
              I guess I could fit in 3 and 4, though, I could never gaurantee 3
              would last. Though, I do note the flaw of your numbering system I
              could not comit to 2 or 2. 1 is out. As for the God question, I think
              its good to be an annotheist. That is, the realization of the
              following: no one can know whether or not there is (a) God(s) and
              whatever the answer is, is irrelaevant.

              Though the belief I'm closest to is, pantheism.

              Kraig

              --- In Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com, Scott Meeker <ultravisual1@y...>