Re: [Buddhism_101] Hey, I need everyones help!

  • Heartwings Papillons
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 31, 2005
      You are not alone, here are some resources in Mississippi:

      Soka Gakkai International USA - New Orleans, Louisiana
      Nichiren Shoshu (Mahayana) (Buddhism)
      1331 Prytania St.
      New Orleans, LA 70115
      Phone: 504-393-194

      (Has a program in Jackson according to website.)

      Granthi Buddhist Association
      345 Ulman Avenue, Bay St. Louis, MS 39520
      Tel: (601) 467-0213
      Tradition: unknown

      Jackson Zen Group
      142 Millsaps Avenue, Jackson MS 39202
      Tel: (601) 856-7172 or 982-0402
      Tradition: Soto Zen
      Affiliation: Informally with New Orleans Zen Temple
      Contact: Linda Townes or Bebe Wolfe

      Starkville Zen Dojo
      231 Santa Anita Drive, Strakville, MS 39759
      Tel: (601) 324-3622
      Tradition: Sawaki-Deshimaru, True Soto Zen
      Lineage: Robert Livingston
      Contact: Tony Bland

      Contact one and they should be able to tell you about anything else available in the area.  Since two of them are affiliated with places in New Orleans, it might be worth looking into what is there to see if they have any outreach programs near you.  Just do a Google search with "Buddhism New Orleans".  If you live near a college, university or large military base, check with them as many have some sort of group.  Sometimes you can also turn up something through a Unitarian church as I have run across a number of them that have some sort of Buddhist discussion or meditation group.

      Good luck!

      Susan

    • lauren
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 1, 2005
        Hi,
        It's dogma (I like CATma better, lol.)
        thanks
        Lauren
        "Whether they be the musician cats in my band or the real cats of
        the world,
        they all got style."
        --Ray Charles
        http://www.radiantsoy.com
        the no carb, no fat smell good way to success!
        Enter up to once a day for a free candle at -
        http://www.candlesaglow.biz
        http://www.catliness.com
        to sign up for CATLINES

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 1, 2005
          You will be happy to know that you are right where you
          are supposed to be and are doing just what you are
          supposed to do. You do have the option of taking your
          time. Read, meditate, communicate.

          --- Ricci Tramel <riccitramel@...> wrote:

          > Hello my friends. I am new to Buddhism. I was
          > Methodist, then
          > Baptist, then Episcopalian and it was there that I
          > was introduced to
          > Buddhism, whether that was their intention or not.
          > Many believe it is
          > only a way of life, but I believe it to be a
          > religion and way of life.
          > As I start studying this wonderful view of the
          > world, I can see that
          > there is so much information, so many big words, so
          > many peoples
          > names... I am overwhelmed and almost don't know
          > where to start. I
          > have bought a few books such as books by the Dalai
          > Lama on the Four
          > Noble Truths and the Eightfold Path, but beyond that
          > I am lost. If
          > any of you have any advice or can help point me in
          > the right
          > direction. I don't have to work, so I am free 24
          > hours a day to study
          > and meditate, but I don't even know how to meditate
          > properly. I could
          > use some advice as to where to start, then where to
          > go from there, and
          > eventually I will hopefully learn many of the things
          > that I read as I
          > scan through the books and internet. I am in
          > Jackson, Mississippi and
          > we have no retreat site or meeting place. I think I
          > am about the only
          > Buddist in Mississippi. Anyway, thanks for any and
          > all of the help
          > you can give me. It might be best to send it to me
          > directly at
          > <riccitramel@...> or I will read it here.
          > Thanks!

        • Scott Meeker
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 1, 2005
            Here's how RELIGION is defined @ dictionary.com:

            1. Belief in and reverence for a supernatural
            power or powers regarded as creator and governor of
            the universe.
            2. A personal or institutionalized system
            grounded in such belief and worship.
            2. The life or condition of a person in a religious
            order.
            3. A set of beliefs, values, and practices based on
            the teachings of a spiritual leader.
            4. A cause, principle, or activity pursued with
            zeal or conscientious devotion.

            ---- I guess I am more comfortable with 3 and 4.

            --- Kraig Mottar <kraig.mottar@...> wrote:

            > What is a religion?
            >

            > --- In Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com, "Ricci Tramel"
            > <riccitramel@y...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Hello my friends. I am new to Buddhism. I was
            > Methodist, then
            > > Baptist, then Episcopalian and it was there that I
            > was introduced to
            > > Buddhism, whether that was their intention or not.
            > Many believe it is
            > > only a way of life, but I believe it to be a
            > religion and way of life.
            > > As I start studying this wonderful view of the
            > world, I can see that
            > > there is so much information, so many big words,
            > so many peoples
            > > names... I am overwhelmed and almost don't know
            > where to start. I
            > > have bought a few books such as books by the Dalai
            > Lama on the Four
            > > Noble Truths and the Eightfold Path, but beyond
            > that I am lost. If
            > > any of you have any advice or can help point me in
            > the right
            > > direction. I don't have to work, so I am free 24
            > hours a day to study
            > > and meditate, but I don't even know how to
            > meditate properly. I could
            > > use some advice as to where to start, then where
            > to go from there, and
            > > eventually I will hopefully learn many of the
            > things that I read as I
            > > scan through the books and internet. I am in
            > Jackson, Mississippi and
            > > we have no retreat site or meeting place. I think
            > I am about the only
            > > Buddist in Mississippi. Anyway, thanks for any
            > and all of the help
            > > you can give me. It might be best to send it to
            > me directly at
            > > <riccitramel@y...> or I will read it here.
            > Thanks!

          • Ken/
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 1, 2005
              Hi, Ricci, welcome aboard.
              I used to teach meditation some (many) years ago and
              am working to adapt my old lesson plans to online use,
              but have been very busy and haven't had time to work
              on it. Hopefully, in the near future, we'll be able to
              hold some lessons, here on this list, if there are
              some interested.
              Believe me, it may seem like your the only one , in
              Mississippi, interesed in Buddhism, but there are
              others. I live in a rural part of Ohio, and the
              feelings are similar.
              Peace,
              Ken/

              http://us.click.yahoo.com/kx_54C/I_qJAA/i1hLAA/GkEylB/TM

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Kraig Mottar
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 1, 2005
                I guess I could fit in 3 and 4, though, I could never gaurantee 3
                would last. Though, I do note the flaw of your numbering system I
                could not comit to 2 or 2. 1 is out. As for the God question, I think
                its good to be an annotheist. That is, the realization of the
                following: no one can know whether or not there is (a) God(s) and
                whatever the answer is, is irrelaevant.

                Though the belief I'm closest to is, pantheism.

                Kraig

                --- In Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com, Scott Meeker <ultravisual1@y...>