Re: [Buddhism_101] Digest Number 97

  • Kindnsruls@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 5, 2003
      In a message dated 9/5/2003 2:58:28 PM Eastern Standard Time, Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com writes:
      Hello my name is Steve and i am fairly new to buddism.I was hoping
      that the group could shed some light or at least there opinions on
      cremation? You see from what little i know about death and the bardo
      it seems to me that after you pass you still have your senses for
      some time. If this is the case then wouldnt cremation be a painful
      thing?
      Once death occurs, and accomplished practitioner, or lama might be able to rest in the Clear Light/Ground Luminosity for days......some lama's have managed 2 weeks.....and so bodies are usually not disturbed for at least three days.
      This however is illegal in most modern countries where bodies must be dealt with immediately in order to prevent disease, and embalming is performed.
      As to the question of pain......the body has gone through the death process, the sensory organs are no longer functioning so the physical sensations have been "disconnected" ....there is no danger of physical pain.....the danger is in breaking the meditation, and upsetting smooth transition into the next life.
      The Tibetan Book Of Living, And Dying is a good place to learn about the death process.

      May All Be Happy,