Best wishes to new folk

  • Oelund Fairking
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 31, 2003
      Hello,

      I gather there are some new folk, and would like to say Hi and
      welcome. One lady mentioned the Dzogchen: would like to recommend her
      picking up a Copy of "Flight of the Garuda", the song of the
      medicant. It is one that I find myself drawn to, and have read many
      times, especially when I am in the process of making life-changes, or
      find myself serendipitously involved in change. Also have a wooden
      statue of Garuda. In the matter of icons I'm pretty much convinced
      that whether or not it is inherently potent, the thousands of
      devotees and prayer directed towards it has empowered it to fulfill
      the capacity of belief.

      I would like to offer a line of reasoning, if I may with your
      indulgence, especially since there are many on this forum that are
      looking for teachers: if samara is nirvana, and both the means to
      reflect the inexpressible, then one need no more than to pay
      attention to one's own life to be guided to the ultimate truth.

      Would also like to share with you a discovery that has me quite
      pleased! For some time now I have been thinking of getting rid of my
      gas mower in favor of a manual one. Saturday I wrested with the gas
      mower for about forty minuets trying to coax it to start, decided
      this was the day I FINALLY WAS GOING TO DO IT. Called around to find
      one: about seven miles from my house: "Are the units disassembled?"-I
      can fit a box to the back of my bike-"Yes, but all they have left is
      the floor demos". Called around to find a ride. Walked to store. Met
      Jim on the way, who brought me home. Drank some water. Mowed the lawn.

      There was an immediate affect on the yard that was palpable. There
      was definitely a tenseness that had eased; in fact, there was a
      therapeutic effect. I could sense the relief in my plants not to
      have been thrown into shock by the cutting methods of a gas mower. I
      started thinking of the impact of an internal combustion engine on my
      lawn: being sprayed with hot hydrocarbons, a decibel of sound that
      could kill literally pounding the earth, being hit with a rotary
      blade that that ripped the grass stalks with traumatic injury.
      Instead I was cutting it by a method the grass had evolved not only
      to survive but had become part of its survival strategy. The gently
      susurration of the blade is no more harsh than the early morning
      lowing of cattle, it scissors the lawn much the same fashion as how
      an animal would naturally crop it, it evenly distributes the cuttings
      for the maximum condition for their decomposition an re-absorption.
      I find it just physically exerting enough to be soothing, removing
      the tension from my shoulders and back. I am also pleased not to be
      participating in the use of fossil fuels and its attendant political
      and financial implications. Not to mention the pleasantry of being
      able to mow in the early hours without disturbing the neighbors! I
      keep thinking, "MY God, why didn't I do this years ago!" Six in the
      morning, a cup of coffee… It's a wonderful time to become focused on
      your activity, to do just enough activity to bring about a feeling of
      well-being… I've discovered that in some things, you just can't beat
      the basics.

      I wish every one well in their respective journeys; ultimately every
      journey is the right one. Hope also to hear of your discoveries. That
      is the wonderful thing about the Internet and forum, this amalgam of
      our experiences. It has taught me that there is no such thing as a
      wasted life.

      Drudche
    • buddhistrookielynn@xemaps.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 1, 2003
        >Drudche writes (snipped)

        >Hello,
        >
        >I gather there are some new folk, and would like to say Hi and
        >welcome. One lady mentioned the Dzogchen: would like to recommend her
        >picking up a Copy of "Flight of the Garuda", the song of the
        >medicant. It is one that I find myself drawn to, and have read many
        >times, especially when I am in the process of making life-changes, or
        >find myself serendipitously involved in change. Also have a wooden
        >statue of Garuda.
        >Would also like to share with you a discovery that has me quite
        >pleased! For some time now I have been thinking of getting rid of my
        >gas mower in favor of a manual one. Saturday I wrested with the gas
        >mower for about forty minuets trying to coax it to start, decided
        >this was the day I FINALLY WAS GOING TO DO IT.
        >There was an immediate affect on the yard that was palpable. There
        >was definitely a tenseness that had eased; in fact, there was a
        >therapeutic effect. I am also pleased not to be
        >participating in the use of fossil fuels and its attendant political
        >and financial implications. Not to mention the pleasantry of being
        >able to mow in the early hours without disturbing the neighbors! I
        >keep thinking, "MY God, why didn't I do this years ago!" Six in the
        >morning, a cup of coffee… It's a wonderful time to become focused on
        >your activity, to do just enough activity to bring about a feeling of
        >well-being… I've discovered that in some things, you just can't beat
        >the basics.
        >
        >I wish every one well in their respective journeys; ultimately every
        >journey is the right one. Hope also to hear of your discoveries. That
        >is the wonderful thing about the Internet and forum, this amalgam of
        >our experiences. It has taught me that there is no such thing as a
        >wasted life.
        >
        >Drudche

        Hi Drudche, and all,
        I'm the Dzogchen questioner. Thanks for the welcome...Yes, the internet
        can be invaluable for learning and sharing. It can also be daunting for a
        new practitioner. Am looking for a list where beginner questions are
        appropriate and not tedious to other listers. Would this be an appropriate
        forum? thank you - rookielynn
      • Oelund Fairking
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 1, 2003
          Hello,

          Yes, I think any question would be honored; I personally would find
          nothing tedious. Remember, though, we are all chldren here, students
          finding our way as you are. I think the benefit we have to offer each
          other is in both our speculations and the sharing of our experience
          and the discoveries therein. It may be that something you share, no
          matter how seemingly mundane may be the catalyst of insight for
          another. I'm sure that for learning's sake it is probably wise to not
          make this your final stop and seek those with greater knowlege, but
          by the same token, that doesn't preclude indulging yourself in the
          sheer enjoyment of "shop talk" with your fellow explorers! I would
          enjoy both reading your questions on doctrine and the others' insight
          to it, and of events and things that have brought meaning into your
          life. I would venture to say the other forum members would feel the
          same.

          Drudche

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 3, 2003
            As a fairly new practitioner (2-3 months) I have become immersed in reading
            Buddhist books and being involved online. I meditate everyday (30 min. to
            an hour) have no clue if I'm doing my meditation correctly because I've
            never really had any lessons except 3 tantric healing meditation lessons (
            WOW is all I can say). Do not have a teacher & have not committed to a
            school/line/tradition of Buddhism. I have so many ?????? and seem to be
            intuiting out answers that work for me and am very curious how others are
            managing the practice of Buddhism so here's a raft of questions that I
            would love (no, no...BAD ATTACHMENT :-) would like to know from you all :-)

            1: What brought you to Buddhism?
            2. Do you have a live one on one teacher in the practice? And do you
            consider this important for your progress?
            3: As an occidental, do you follow/memorize/deal with all the
            sanskrit/pali/Tibetan names of practices and teachers
            4. How long have you practiced and how would you characterize your path?
            5. If you're going it alone (without a teacher) how do you get answers to
            questions re: practice, texts, ext.?

            TIA
            rookielynn