Admin Notice

  • HeartwingsPapillons
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 31, 2003
      Yahoo is making some changes to how lists operate.  The only change that directly effects members of the list is that attachments to messages will no longer be stored in the list's message archives.  If you read your list mail by logging onto the YahooGroups website and not via your email, you will no longer be able to see any attachments (such as photos) to a message.  You may still send attachments to the list and they will appear with the message.  As before, people on digest format will not get attachments, but those who are on regular email format will get the attachments.  You may still upload photos or files to the group's shared files section just as before.

      In the interest of protecting people from viruses, if a message you send to the list contains an attachment, please note what it is in the text of the message such as "photo attached" so people know it is not a virus.  If you see any attachments on the list that are .exe files, I strongly suggest that you do not open them!

      Thanks,
      Susan - Listowner
    • papsx5
      Message 2 of 16 , May 10, 2004
        I apologize for the spam that was posted on the list and I have
        removed the person who posted it. Unfortunately the same thing is
        happening on a number of Yahoo Groups lists and individuals with
        forged Yahoo addresses are joining the lists and posting the same
        spams, some of which some people might consider offensive. This
        problem seems to be quite widespread and, hopefully, Yahoo will be
        able to deal with it quickly.

        Therefore, I have placed this list on moderated status and will keep
        it that way until the spam problem is resolved as that is the only
        way I can insure that no spam will reach the list. I have no
        intention to edit or moderate anyone's legitimate messages, I just
        want to make sure you are not bothered by spam. Since this list is
        now on moderated status, your messages will not appear on the list
        until I have moderated them- NOT FOR CONTENT- just to make sure they
        are not spams. I suspect I can return it to regular unmoderated
        status after a few days and I will try to check the pending messages
        as often as possible to keep the list working smoothly.

        Thanks for your patience!

        Susan- Listowner
      • nancy lemke
        Message 3 of 16 , May 11, 2004
          ---
          having the same problem at my own group...ole hippies with
          fibromyalgia. i deleted the messages(porno)and then couldn't find
          the person that posted them in my members list..so, i gather they
          join and unjoin at the same time...what a shame..i also sent an
          email and it was returned to me. oh well, this too shall pass.
          namaste, nancy

          In Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com, "papsx5" <papillon@s...> wrote:
          > I apologize for the spam that was posted on the list and I have
          > removed the person who posted it. Unfortunately the same thing is
          > happening on a number of Yahoo Groups lists and individuals with
          > forged Yahoo addresses are joining the lists and posting the same
          > spams, some of which some people might consider offensive. This
          > problem seems to be quite widespread and, hopefully, Yahoo will be
          > able to deal with it quickly.
          >
          > Therefore, I have placed this list on moderated status and will
          keep
          > it that way until the spam problem is resolved as that is the only
          > way I can insure that no spam will reach the list. I have no
          > intention to edit or moderate anyone's legitimate messages, I just
          > want to make sure you are not bothered by spam. Since this list
          is
          > now on moderated status, your messages will not appear on the list
          > until I have moderated them- NOT FOR CONTENT- just to make sure
          they
          > are not spams. I suspect I can return it to regular unmoderated
          > status after a few days and I will try to check the pending
          messages
          > as often as possible to keep the list working smoothly.
          >
          > Thanks for your patience!
          >
          > Susan- Listowner
        • papsx5
          Message 4 of 16 , May 16, 2004
            Since the spam problem seems to have quieted down and I think I have
            booted all the spammers off the list, I have set the list back to un-
            moderated status so your posts should go through as they did before.
            I am still moderating new members (which will not effect any of you
            already on the list) just in case any spammers join. Once a new
            member has posted appropriately, I will remove moderation from them,
            it is just a precaution to keep our list spam free.

            As before, you may post about items for sale or activities that
            benefit a not for profit organization or group, for example books for
            sale or classes held by your temple. It is fine to note sources for
            materials such as, "Snow Lion Publications sells such and such book."
            or "you can get that kind of incense at...") that you derive no
            personal profit from. The only thing prohibited is outright spam-
            posting advertising for your own personal profit and I think we all
            know that when we see it!

            Susan - Listowner
          • Heartwings Papillons
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 4, 2004
              I regret that 2 spammers were able to get on the list and post spam messages.  I thought Yahoo had this problem fixed, but apparently not.  I have once again set the list to moderate those new members who join after this message is posted, however this will not effect any of you who are already on the list and receive this message.  I think I found all the spammers and banned them and reported them via Spamcop, so I hope this will be the end of it.

              Susan - Listowner
            • vorian@mail.com
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 4, 2004
                Thanks you, Susan.
                From: "Heartwings Papillons" <papillon@...>
                Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2004 00:13:34 -0400
                To: <Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com>
                Subject: [Buddhism_101] Admin Notice

                > I regret that 2 spammers were able to get on the list and post spam messages. I thought Yahoo had this problem fixed, but apparently not. I have once again set the list to moderate those new members who join after this message is posted, however this will not effect any of you who are already on the list and receive this message. I think I found all the spammers and banned them and reported them via Spamcop, so I hope this will be the end of it.

                Susan - Listowner

                *************************************
                "In 2008, Beijing will host the Olympic Games,
                Do you know that, in China, thousands of prisoners condemned to death are killed in
                those [sports] stadiums? And you - will you applaud the massacre?"
              • Heartwings Papillons
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 23, 2005
                  I have just sent some older messages to the group from newer members that somehow got "hung up" in the moderation process.  Normally Yahoo sends me messages from newer members who are still under moderation status so that I can approve their messages and then they get posted to the list.  I don't know why, but sometimes I do not get some of them and only know of their existence when I get a message from Yahoo that there are older messages to moderate that will be deleted if I do not approve them.  Yahoo Groups is a free service, so I guess the problems with it are something that we must just learn to live with, a lesson in patience!

                  Currently all new members are moderated and I do this so that no spam will pass to the list and it is working.  Once a new member has posted and I see that their messages are appropriate, I remove their moderated status so that they may post freely to the list; usually I do this on weekends.  When I moderate a message, I just read it to see that the content is appropriate, i.e. not spam, and I pass it to the list.  I do not edit messages for content, but of course I would reject one if it contained inappropriate language or was a flame or something like that (which has not happened).

                  Sorry these messages were lost in cyberspace for so long, if I knew how it happened I would fix it!

                  Susan - Listowner
                • Scott
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 23, 2005
                    LOL- these messages have always been here, are here now, and will come
                    again.

                    Just a wee bit of humor eh?

                    -Scott

                    --- In Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com, "Heartwings Papillons"
                    <papillon@s...> wrote:
                    > I have just sent some older messages to the group from newer members
                    that somehow got "hung up" in the moderation process. Normally Yahoo
                    sends me messages from newer members who are still under moderation
                    status so that I can approve their messages and then they get posted
                    to the list. I don't know why, but sometimes I do not get some of
                    them and only know of their existence when I get a message from Yahoo
                    that there are older messages to moderate that will be deleted if I do
                    not approve them. Yahoo Groups is a free service, so I guess the
                    problems with it are something that we must just learn to live with, a
                    lesson in patience!

                    > Currently all new members are moderated and I do this so that no
                    spam will pass to the list and it is working. Once a new member has
                    posted and I see that their messages are appropriate, I remove their
                    moderated status so that they may post freely to the list; usually I
                    do this on weekends. When I moderate a message, I just read it to see
                    that the content is appropriate, i.e. not spam, and I pass it to the
                    list. I do not edit messages for content, but of course I would
                    reject one if it contained inappropriate language or was a flame or
                    something like that (which has not happened).

                    > Sorry these messages were lost in cyberspace for so long, if I knew
                    how it happened I would fix it!

                    > Susan - Listowner
                  • Heartwings Papillons
                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 4, 2005
                      OK, the general consensus seems to be that members do NOT want a discussion of any aspects of Christianity or Jesus vs. Buddha etc.  Although I have found the discussion to be interesting, this list is about the people on it, so I must ask that this thread be dropped and any further discussions on this subject take place off list.

                      Now that I think about it, I can see it snowballing into discussions on the many other religions and how they relate to Buddhism and it could get quite out of hand in a short time!  Obviously we do not all know a good deal about some other religions, so Buddhism should remain the focal point.

                      As I see it, the discussion of "a god" and how this does or does not apply to Buddhism would be acceptable as god (small G) is a general concept common to many beliefs and as long as one is not trying to fit the god(s) of another specific religion into Buddhism.  We are about Buddha here, so any references to another religion should be brief and relating to the Buddhist topic at hand.

                      Sorry to have to "come down" on the list, but over the last day or two I have seen this topic snowballing into what could be a problem and I don't want anyone to feel uncomfortable or fire up their flame thrower.

                      Susan - Listowner
                    • flora_connemara
                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 4, 2005
                        Hi Susan, i would like to apologise if anything I have said may have
                        caused any problems.
                        from Diane

                        <papillon@s...> wrote:
                        > OK, the general consensus seems to be that members do NOT want a
                        discussion of any aspects of Christianity or Jesus vs. Buddha etc.
                        Although I have found the discussion to be interesting, this list is
                        about the people on it, so I must ask that this thread be dropped and
                        any further discussions on this subject take place off list.

                        > Now that I think about it, I can see it snowballing into
                        discussions on the many other religions and how they relate to
                        Buddhism and it could get quite out of hand in a short time!
                        Obviously we do not all know a good deal about some other religions,
                        so Buddhism should remain the focal point.

                        > As I see it, the discussion of "a god" and how this does or does
                        not apply to Buddhism would be acceptable as god (small G) is a
                        general concept common to many beliefs and as long as one is not
                        trying to fit the god(s) of another specific religion into Buddhism.
                        We are about Buddha here, so any references to another religion
                        should be brief and relating to the Buddhist topic at hand.

                        > Sorry to have to "come down" on the list, but over the last day or
                        two I have seen this topic snowballing into what could be a problem
                        and I don't want anyone to feel uncomfortable or fire up their flame
                        thrower.

                        > Susan - Listowner
                      • uht534
                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 4, 2005
                          Dear Susan:

                          Thank you. There are Yahoo groups for the discussion of Buddhism and
                          Christianity. That is not what I wanted. This group is and that is
                          why I joined.

                          Jim
                        • Heartwings Papillons
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 23 8:37 PM
                            Chaotic Anomaly, the "bug eater", is no longer on the list.  I am sorry for the disruption s/he caused.

                            Please consider the bug eating subject as CLOSED!!!

                            Thank you,
                            Susan - Listowner
                          • Heartwings Papillons
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jun 13 9:02 AM
                              Yahoo Groups is experiencing a problem with someone spamming sending messages with the subject "new graphic site" and a link. The spammer is forging actual list members' addresses, so I can't ban them or I would ban a real member. On some other lists people have reported that these spams contain an attached virus. I have disabled attachments for the time being, but, if these messages show up, please just delete them. Yahoo is working on the problem as it is very widespread.

                              Susan - Listowner

                              You can use logic to justify almost anything.
                              That is its power.....and its flaw.

                              Captain Kathryn Janeway

                            • nancy lemke
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jun 13 1:47 PM
                                i too have gotten 3 of these graphic sites posts at my own group for
                                fibromyalgia....a lady joined our group by the name of
                                blegen_marjorie....in checking her out for membership in my group i
                                found she has an adult profile. so, i was leary...i have deleted
                                the posts from my group and hope this is the end of it. thanks for
                                the info. nan

                                <papillon@...> wrote:

                                > Yahoo Groups is experiencing a problem with someone spamming
                                sending messages with the subject "new graphic site" and a link.
                                The spammer is forging actual list members' addresses, so I can't
                                ban them or I would ban a real member. On some other lists people
                                have reported that these spams contain an attached virus. I have
                                disabled attachments for the time being, but, if these messages show
                                up, please just delete them. Yahoo is working on the problem as it
                                is very widespread.

                                > Susan - Listowner
                                >
                                > You can use logic to justify almost anything.
                                > That is its power.....and its flaw.
                                >
                                > Captain Kathryn Janeway

                              • Heartwings Papillons
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jul 31, 2006
                                  The official language of this list is English, so please make sure that all posts are in English.  I speak Portuguese, but most of the list members don't, so the recent post in Portuguese was of no use to most list members.

                                  This list was designed to discuss Buddhism, not politics.  I realize that the situation of Tibet and the Tibetan people as well as the freedom of some people to practice a Buddhist way of life is related to politics, but this list is not the proper place to discuss political matters, even if they are related to Buddhism.

                                  Thanks so much, blessings to all!

                                  Susan - Listowner

                                • Heartwings Papillons
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Aug 31, 2007
                                    Unfortunately we had an incident today where someone joined the list and posted inappropriate material to our files section; that material has now been deleted. They also tried to post it to the list, but I moderate new members, so I was able to prevent it and banned them.

                                    Unfortunately I had to change the list settings so that members may no longer post files themselves and all photos must be approved before they are posted, however you may still view/download the files and photos we have, of course.

                                    If you have a file that you wish to post, just let me know at Buddhism_101-owner@yahoogroups.com and I can do it for you. I'm sorry, but I try to keep the list free of spam and inappropriate material and I felt this step was necessary. You may still post photos, they just won't appear until I have approved them.

                                    I removed the moderated status of a number of new members today who have been active with appropriate posts, so your posts should now appear faster, although I do my best to approve pending messages quickly.

                                    Susan - Listowner

                                    "A moment's insight is sometimes worth a life's experience."
                                    Oliver Wendell Holmes