Re: Re-incarnation

  • Karen
    Message 1 of 26 , Jul 1, 2003
      It's the loving the whole world thing that gets in our way.  It is the hardest thing to do, but I have a sneeking suspicion that once you do, it is easy.  There are those I love in this way, but many more I do not.  I work on it every day.

      Namaste'
      Karen

      "Existence needs you. Without you something will be missing in existence and nobody can replace it."  Osho

      Do you Yahoo!?
    • blue_kamelion
      Message 2 of 26 , Jul 1, 2003
        --- In Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com, "Annette Gill" >
        > But I don't believe in mind as anything separate from the physical
        > brain. Therefore, I don't think my mind will survive my death. I
        > don't believe I have a soul either, so as far as I can see, when I
        > die there will be nothing left of me except an inert pile of atoms.

        This falls in line with my own way of thinking.

        As far as reincarnation goes, I believe in it to the extent that when
        we die, we eventually revert the our natural state, which is that
        state that everything is made of, be it atoms or the smaller
        measurements of quantum physics. You revert back to that basic
        energy that the entire universe is made of, in essence, returning to
        the "whole" or "center". Now what if your body was buried in the
        ground, and it help to nourish the land as it decomposed (yeah, I
        know, but bear with me on this <G>), then a tree started to grow in
        that spot. Wouldn't you in essence be a part of the tree?
        Everything is a part of everything else. We all have sunlight in us
        simply because we were exposed to it. We have thousands of elements
        in common with the universe, because we are one with it. It merely
        changes form and helps to create something new, and to me THAT is
        reincarnation.

        Someone mentioned the "self" earlier, the self is nothing but a
        collection of memories. If a person "loses his mind" and acts
        differently from the person he was, then it is said that that person
        is "no longer himself" and they are right. Lose your memories, and
        you lose everything you are. That's the bottom line. "Self" is an
        illusion we create, and being an illusion, it is unreal. And that,
        my friends, steers us in the direction of eternal philosophical
        debate. LOL!!

        I don't know if there is some essence in us that carries on when we
        pass. I don't disregard the possibility, because I've seen strange
        things happen that looks in ways like predestination. And my views
        are open, because like me, they are never stationary, but constantly
        changing as I learn. <G>

        bk