Re: [Buddhism_101] Re-incarnation

  • Diane Glasby
    Message 1 of 26 , Jun 30, 2003
      My thoughts on Reincarnation:

      Lets suppose my four year old daughter and I were in a terrible accident that only one of us could survive and fate allowed me to choose which one it would be. I would choose her of course, for two reasons, because I love her and because she hasn't had her chance at life yet, while I have. It would be an easy, simple decision.

      If I loved all of humanity the way I love my daughter, it wouldn't much matter what happened to me after death. I may not be around to watch the sun rise and experience the world, but someone would be, and that would be good enough. The problem is, I don't really love all of humanity that way, and so the dissolution of my own ego seems like a terrible thing.

      When I consider it from that perspective, reincarnation is  a mute point, just a speculation or hypothesis. The problem with death is really insufficient love, although having a daughter at least gives me a glimpse of what it feels like to love that completely, even if I'm not enlightened enough to apply it to the entire world.
    • Karen
      Message 2 of 26 , Jul 1, 2003
        It's the loving the whole world thing that gets in our way.  It is the hardest thing to do, but I have a sneeking suspicion that once you do, it is easy.  There are those I love in this way, but many more I do not.  I work on it every day.

        Namaste'
        Karen

        "Existence needs you. Without you something will be missing in existence and nobody can replace it."  Osho

        Do you Yahoo!?
      • blue_kamelion
        Message 3 of 26 , Jul 1, 2003
          --- In Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com, "Annette Gill" >
          > But I don't believe in mind as anything separate from the physical
          > brain. Therefore, I don't think my mind will survive my death. I
          > don't believe I have a soul either, so as far as I can see, when I
          > die there will be nothing left of me except an inert pile of atoms.

          This falls in line with my own way of thinking.

          As far as reincarnation goes, I believe in it to the extent that when
          we die, we eventually revert the our natural state, which is that
          state that everything is made of, be it atoms or the smaller
          measurements of quantum physics. You revert back to that basic
          energy that the entire universe is made of, in essence, returning to
          the "whole" or "center". Now what if your body was buried in the
          ground, and it help to nourish the land as it decomposed (yeah, I
          know, but bear with me on this <G>), then a tree started to grow in
          that spot. Wouldn't you in essence be a part of the tree?
          Everything is a part of everything else. We all have sunlight in us
          simply because we were exposed to it. We have thousands of elements
          in common with the universe, because we are one with it. It merely
          changes form and helps to create something new, and to me THAT is
          reincarnation.

          Someone mentioned the "self" earlier, the self is nothing but a
          collection of memories. If a person "loses his mind" and acts
          differently from the person he was, then it is said that that person
          is "no longer himself" and they are right. Lose your memories, and
          you lose everything you are. That's the bottom line. "Self" is an
          illusion we create, and being an illusion, it is unreal. And that,
          my friends, steers us in the direction of eternal philosophical
          debate. LOL!!

          I don't know if there is some essence in us that carries on when we
          pass. I don't disregard the possibility, because I've seen strange
          things happen that looks in ways like predestination. And my views
          are open, because like me, they are never stationary, but constantly
          changing as I learn. <G>

          bk