Re: [Buddhism_101] Alcohol and drugs

  • bruce quarles
    Message 1 of 46 , Oct 3, 2004

      I would like to share with you all something that one of my Lamas who is a Ngakpa of the real order, and one of the oldest to Chatral Rinpoche and Dudjom Rinpoche. For a non-monk or nun and for Ngakpas "no more than a Kapala of chang should be drunken in a day" ( Guru Rinpoche), and "a yogi should never get drunk when he drinks" ( Dudjom Rinpoche). Now as my Lama told me that does not mean it is OK to drink a kapala of Jack, or some other hard-spirits, because chang is very weak next to these other hard-spirits. Also it says in a day not one gulp. The idea is maybe two beers a day is enough as my lama said, because some kapalas are very big and some are very small, also chang can some times be stronger than a beer. Lama Dawa says two beers is OK through out the day. And not to many people would have a problem with what he says.

      However he also said that for beginners it really is best to not drink, because there is no real reason that we should have to.

      Do you Yahoo!?
    • Dianna
      Message 46 of 46 , Jun 30, 2010
        I just wanted to say hi to all my Buddhist groups. I miss talking with everyone and learning new things daily. I am enjoying my time with my girls. I will be back to groups on the 19t of July. Really no computer time right now. Either not home, or two teenage girls fighting over it LOL

        Dianna