RE: [Buddhism_101] Alcohol and drugs

  • Micheal Kelley
    Message 1 of 46 , Oct 3, 2004
      Very well said. thanks so much for the insight.
      fr. mike k

      >From: "Dana Nourie" <dana.nourie@...>
      >To: <Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com>
      >Subject: [Buddhism_101] Alcohol and drugs
      >Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2004 11:12:48 -0700
      >
      >I am so new to Buddhism that I may be we wrong, but the impression
      >I've had is that we shouldn't intoxicate ourselves because it messes
      >up mindfulness. That's not to say you can't have a glass of wine, as
      >long as it doesn't affect your mindfulness and you remain aware and
      >clear headed. The problem with alcohol is that it is difficult to
      >determine if you are clear headed. So I'd think most monks would
      >just advise to avoid it. I don't think you are going to generate
      >negative karma by having a glass of wine for dinner.
      >

      >The other concept that plays in there is that of craving. If you
      >drink alcohol every night and start to crave it, then you're going
      >to run into problems. The amount you drink may increase, it can
      >interfere with other aspects of your life, and craving in general
      >causes suffering. The USA is filled with people suffering from
      >alcoholism and its affects.
      >

      >So my guess is that it's ok to have an occasional glass of wine, or
      >one a day, as long as you are still mindful, craving is not
      >increasing, and you are not causing others to suffer because of it.
      >I grew up in a family of 4 full-blown alcoholics so I don't let it
      >pass my lips, not even in mouthwash. But that's me.
      >

      >I have recently been on painkillers because I broke my foot. I could
      >not be mindful at this time, but in order to heal well and without a
      >lot of suffering, I opted to take the pills and stay in bed until I
      >felt well enough to rid myself of the pills because the pain had
      >eased. I don't believe I generated bad karma from this. All good
      >intentions, all to eliminate suffering, and now I'm off the pain
      >pills. I don't think I'd be criticized for this.
      >

      >Dana

    • Dianna
      Message 46 of 46 , Jun 30, 2010
        I just wanted to say hi to all my Buddhist groups. I miss talking with everyone and learning new things daily. I am enjoying my time with my girls. I will be back to groups on the 19t of July. Really no computer time right now. Either not home, or two teenage girls fighting over it LOL

        Dianna