RE: [Buddhism_101] Re: Online course and nearby Dharma center

  • Dana Nourie
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 30, 2004

      Hi Midian,

      Actually I do, and I’m hoping to go to the Land of Medicine Buddha when my foot is healed (it’s broken) and I have a chance to start the first module. I was really excited to discover that retreat and the one in Boulder Creek as well. Have you been to that one as well?

      I’m glad to hear you have had positive experience with the Discovering Buddhism course. I’m very much looking forward to receiving the materials.

      Thank you for sharing. I look forward to hearing what you’ve learned and your thoughts on many matters.

      Dana

    • vorian@mail.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 1, 2004
        Thanks for posting the links. The FPMT courses are fantastic, and though $60 sounds like a lot, you get a very professionally presented course. (I have not taken it, but a friend has.)IMHO it's worth the money if that's what you want. I am also satisfied with anything Lama Zopa is involved with.

        The FPMT is an excellent organization and if you have a sangha near you that is affiliated, you are very lucky.

        This reminds me, for those that have not seen it, that my webpage concerning the Heart Relic Tour is still available at: http://www.kmcmenterprises.com/relictour.html
        I have added smaller files to the pictures of the relics ( All of the res of the pictures already load easily.) for those that have slower 'puters. Click on the thumbnail pictures for a "large" 600+mb closeup (relic pictures only), or the words "Smaller File" for a faster loading all encompassing shot. There are links at the bottom that will take you to the Heart Relic Tour site and the Maitreya Project site (These will give you more info on what relics are and why they are touring.). Also, is a link to The Tibetan Cultural Center (which held this showing), and a link to my sangha, Gar Drolma Choling.
        If any of you get a chance to see the tour, do it. It is well worth your time.

        From: "Dana Nourie" <dana.nourie@...>
        Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 22:03:35 -0700
        To: <Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com>
        Subject: [Buddhism_101] Online course and nearby Dharma center

        > I found a correspondence Buddhism course I liked the looks of even
        > better than the last I sent to the list. This one includes a good
        > deal of text, CDs with audio, CDs with guided mediations, and the
        > course has 14 modules in all. The price is about $60 for each
        > module, and you get a lot with each. Plus, this org is associated
        > with Dharma centers around the one, one of which is in my area! The
        > one in my area teaches module 8, which is on integrating the
        > teaching into daily practice and meditations.
        >

        > I'm stoked.
        >

        > Here is info on the Discovering of Buddhism at Home course info:
        >

        > http://www.fpmt.org/dbhome/default.asp
        >

        > They also have retreats, videos, and all kinds of other stuff. See
        > if there is a Dharma center near you:
        >
        > http://www.fpmt.org/centers/default.asp
        >

        > Dana Nourie
        >
        > Writer/Photographer
        >
        > http://www.kelpcritter.com

        *************************************
        "In 2008, Beijing will host the Olympic Games,
        Do you know that, in China, thousands of prisoners condemned to death are killed in
        those [sports] stadiums? And you - will you applaud the massacre?"
      • vorian@mail.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 1, 2004
          Midian, welcome aboard. It is a very auspicious sign that you are so close and able to attend "Land of the Medicine Buddha". I have followed their progress for sometime, as I once lived in that area (Santa Cruz and then Mountain View), many years ago. For others, here is a link to their site: http://www.medicinebuddha.org/
          You have some very top level teachings, from a great Lama, going on in a few days. I hope you are able to attend.

          From: "Midian Vana" <fruitflyunderground@...>
          Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2004 05:40:34 -0000
          To: Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: [Buddhism_101] Re: Online course and nearby Dharma center

          *************************************
          "In 2008, Beijing will host the Olympic Games,
          Do you know that, in China, thousands of prisoners condemned to death are killed in
          those [sports] stadiums? And you - will you applaud the massacre?"
        • catgirl
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 1, 2004
            Yes, I am taking this course right now with my study group and it is indeed excellent.  It is specifically designed for Westerners to learn about Buddhism from my understanding.

            Tamara,
            NC, USA
            "There Are Angels Among Us.  One Of Them May Be The Little Cat At Your Door.
            Take It In.  Feed It.  Love It.  And You Will Know The Purpose Of God."
            --A Tribute by Chere to Ms. Slippers and Darling Raven

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 1, 2004
              Welcome Midian.
              Peace.
              Kay~K