Re: [Buddhism_101] Re: what's up

  • Jennie Cross
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 1, 2004
      chrisblue302:

      Perhaps you just arent ready to read books of such nature. You will be one
      day though, I can tell.

    • catgirl
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 1, 2004
        Chris,
        I'm a beginner, too. While I find the Dalai Lama's writings very
        approachable, there are several other books that may start more at "the
        beginning" for you. You may search the archives and find
        recommendations for books others have found helpful.
        In Buddhism, as in other new learnings, one must often read the same
        material over and over to have it connect. However, the great thing
        about a group like this is you can also ask questions about particular
        statements, teachings, etc. to get others' interpretations on them.
        Welcome--it is indeed a different and deep learning path you are
        beginning.

        Tamara
        NC, USA
        "If you talk with the animals they will talk with you and you will know
        each other. If you do not talk to them you will not know them, and what
        you do not know you will fear. What one fears, one destroys."

        --Chief Dan George
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 1, 2004
          Do not take the title as an insult, but there is a good entry level book out there called "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Understanding Buddhism" by Gary Gach.  It explains things from a very basic level in simple everyday language.  Again, it is only a title, not an insult!

          Many of those "idiot's" and "dummies" books are wonderful and I attribute this email to "Windows for Dummies" and "Internet for Dummies" :-)

          Susan
        • Anita Aasen
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 1, 2004

            I have actually thought about buying one of those idiots or dummies books, they are wonderful I have a few on a couple different subjects, it has occured to me to do that.  am I correct in thinking there are a few different branches of Buddhism....(i.e is different than korean)  is this much like being a methodist is different than being a presberyterian?

            I am near a buddhist  monestary here on staten island, but I have never gotten up there...I have always wanted to see the monks chant, it is open to the public periodically,   Occasonally the monks do meditaion walks on ome nature trails here

            nameste

            Anita A
            in the final analysis it is about you and God, it was never about you and them anyway" Mother Teresa

            please visit

          • chrisblue302
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 2, 2004
              I don't think dealing with the thoughts and emotions is similar the
              first grade. Personally, I believe in a strong base.

              --- In Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com, vorian@m... wrote:
              > You can't stay in first grade forever, Chris. Buddhism is about
              evolving, spiritually. This requires study and new ideas. The only
              way you are going to come in contact with these ideas (without a
              teacher) is to search for them. At some point you will require a
              teacher (guru/lama), hunt them down and then hang on for everything
              they can teach you.
              > Ken/

            • jeem machine
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 2, 2004
                I didn't mean to offend when I said this post (seems) strange. I did not say the post was strange only I thought it strange that one would refer to the Dali Lama's writings as annoying. I get annoyed by ignorance and by people who try to piss me off on purpose. Maybe if you said 'over my head', 'hard to understand' or even 'a little boring' I would not have replied how I did. Actually I was a little offended by you using that term. I was hoping you would reply and explain what you meant and you did so thanks. I understand what you mean now :)
                Jim

              • vorian@mail.com
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 2, 2004
                  In fact, you did not mention "thoughts and emotions". You said that the teachings were advanced, gratuitous, and "teaching that kind of stuff to a beginner is like teaching calculus to algabra student".
                  My point was, if you are not interested in studying the Dharma, then maybe you are not ready for the Dharma. Then again, if you would be more specific as to what you are having trouble with, there is someone here that would be glad to help. None of us begin knowing everything. We learn and evolve. To do that you have to be open to it all. That which you don't understand, now, will come easier, later.

                  May you release the Buddha within you in this lifetime,

                  From: "chrisblue302" <chrisblue302@...>
                  Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 18:53:42 -0000
                  To: Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com