Re: [Buddhism_101] Thanks to all

  • Adam Bayliss
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 2, 2004
      Hi Pam,
      I think one thing to consider before letting your son become a monk is:
      what kind of education will he get? Namely, if he grows up and decides
      to leave the monk-hood, will he be prepared to do something else, e.g.
      attend a secular college. While in Burmese and most other Buddhist
      cultures it is very common for children to enter the monk-hood, in our
      culture, deciding to commit to a profession (especially one as
      demanding and difficult as the life of a monk) is a decision usually
      reserved for adults to make.
      As for concerns about your child for impropriety among the monks, I
      really think this is probably not the most important concern. There
      are rigorous laws prohibiting monks from even touching other monks or
      laymen. I daresay that your child will be more safe at the monastery
      than among other secular youth organizations since monks and nuns not
      only practice chastity, they actively work (through meditation) to
      reduce lust and sexual thoughts in their daily lives. IMHO, it would
      be very constructive to consider the manifold consequences of helping
      your child to make a life-decision that few adults are prepared to
      make.
      I think it is great that your son has a zeal for Buddhism while so
      young. It is also wonderful that he has such a supporting and
      open-minded mother.
      Best wishes to you both,
      Adam
      On Aug 1, 2004, at 6:58 PM, artistgirl67 wrote:

      > Thanks to all who gave me feedback about letting my son go to the
      > monestary over night. I do not know what I'm going to do with it. I
      > still need to discuss it with my son's father. Just for the record,
      > the invitation did not happen out of no where. My son expressed
      > interest in becoming a monk and the Venerable suggested it so he got
      > a taste of what that is like. He would have to shave his head and
      > wear the robe (he's a bit bummbed about shaving his head because he
      > has been growing a tail for about two years now and will have to
      > shave it off.) We will be going to the center more before I make a
      > decision. Thank you all so much. It's been very helpful. In Burma
      > children start this practice very young. It's an opportunity for the
      > children to get education. I think for the monks there it's not so
      > strange. In the west, well, things are different. Thanks again.
      > Pam
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      > <lrec_companion_043004.gif>
      > <l.gif>

      > Service.

    • artistgirl67
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 2, 2004
        Hi Adam,

        He's only going (if he goes) for a week. It's just to give him a
        taste of what it's like. As far as his decision to be a monk, well,
        first of all, he can't antil he's 20. I actually told him he can't
        make that decision antil he's 18 but can work toward that. The rule
        is 20 though. He knows that whatever he does he must attend college.
        I think he could do alot with the training. One of the things he
        mentioned was that he wants to build shelters around the country for
        homeless people. He came up with that after I gave some food to a
        homeless man. It was very sad, the state this man was in, and it
        affected my son tremendously. He wants to help people. That's a great
        goal whether it be as a monk or a lay person. I think it will be good
        for him to learn the tools of Buddhism whether he's going to actually
        be a monk or not. We've discused this subject in great detail. I've
        already mentioned to him that his feelings may change when he gets
        older. We have a very open relationship. I talk to him about
        everything. What ever he decides to do with his life, if he has these
        tools, he'll be fine.
        Pam

        --- In Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com, Adam Bayliss <rabayliss@w...>
        wrote:
> [...]
        > > a taste of what that is like. He would have to shave his head and
        > > wear the robe (he's a bit bummbed about shaving his head because
        he
        > > has been growing a tail for about two years now and will have to
        > > shave it off.) We will be going to the center more before I make
        > > decision. Thank you all so much. It's been very helpful. In Burma
        > > children start this practice very young. It's an opportunity for
        the
        > > children to get education. I think for the monks there it's not
        so
        > > strange. In the west, well, things are different. Thanks again.
        > > Pam
        > >

        > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        > > <lrec_companion_043004.gif>
        > > <l.gif>
        > >
        > > Yahoo! Groups Links

        > > • Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo!
        Terms of
        > > Service.

      • Adam Bayliss
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 2, 2004
          Hi Pam,
          Caulk up a mothers care and concern to another one of those things
          "impossible to convey via newsgroup."
          With Metta,
          Adam