New member

  • artistgirl67
    Message 1 of 32 , Jul 28, 2004
      Hi all,

      My name is Pam and I'm new to this group. I've been learning about
      Buddhism for about two months now. Believe it or not, my little 11
      year old son was the catalist for this. He wants to be a Buddhist
      monk. First he, pretty much out of the blue, wanted to be a Buddhist,
      now with what he is learning he wants to be a monk. I learn a bit
      about Buddhism in my Humanities class (I'm currently an art student)
      and thought that it fit many of my beliefs. When my son started
      asking about Buddhism I enrolled him in a Buddhist meditation class.
      The change in him is amazing. He has ADHD and has had a very
      difficult time controling his impulses and focusing. He also has a
      habit of being very negative. Since he started learning about
      Buddhism and meditating he's calmer, more focused and much happier.
      I've also been reading and meditating. It's helped me get my life
      back after a few very difficult years. So, I'm hoping to learn more
      here. My son actually has an appointment with a Venerable tomorrow
      (there's a monestary about 1 1/2 miles from where I live) we're
      looking forward to it. Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself.
      Pam
      Message 32 of 32 , Mar 3 11:11 AM
        Hi, Shannon, and welcome to our group.

        As John recommended earlier, it's good to have a teacher to help you
        along the way. Just looking at the Files and Links section of this
        group's website, it's easy to see that there is a lot to read about
        Buddhism, so much that it's hard to know what to select when. This is
        something a teacher can help with. A good teacher, when you meet with
        him or her in person, can understand your concerns and help you address
        them and help you resolve problems. There's a metaphor I've encountered
        a few times in the readings I've done. In this metaphor we are the
        patient, the teacher is our doctor, and the Dharma (the teachings and
        readings) are the medicine. We all need some kind of medicine, but not
        everyone needs the same medicine. So we need a teacher, the doctor, to
        advise us on which medicine to take, what of the Dharma to read and
        study. All of that makes perfect sense to me.

        Of course too there are different kinds of doctors. While all of them
        might be great doctors, we don't go to a foot doctor for treatment of a
        headache. This is to say, we have to exercise a bit of wisdom when
        choosing a teacher. The Dalai Lama himself-- and most other Buddhists
        of significant achievement-- had a number of different teachers. We
        don't need to stay with the first one we choose. You'll know, you'll
        just feel it, feel a connection, when you find the teacher who's right
        for you for "where you are" at this moment in your life.

        Of course you can still read whatever books or articles or web sites
        which interest you. Unlike modern Western medicine, there is no bad
        dharma, no dharma which will hurt you. Though we might not see it right
        away, dharma is all tied together, all interconnected. Certain parts of
        it, however, might be more relevant to you or more understandable now
        than other parts. So just read things. No one's ever written a book
        just for me and how to solve all my particular problems and how to live
        my life with every page precisely relevant to me. (This is where a
        teacher can be most helpful.) But in the reading I've done, I've
        definitely found a lot which has helped me. Wisdom is one of the rare
        things in this world, ever more of which we can always benefit from.

        Last but by no means least is meditation. Meditation is good for so
        many things. I've read a couple of emails, one of which I believe was
        posted to this list (search in the archives on this website for
        "Benefits of Meditation" or something like that) which described twenty
        or thirty or more ways in which meditation is good for people. And
        reading those emails I thought of even more ways. A friend of mine who
        just in the past few months started studying Buddhism and meditating
        used to have frequent panic attacks. These could be brought on by a
        number of different kinds of situations. Just a few days ago she told
        me that she hardly has any of them anymore. She attributed this to
        meditation. And that feeling of emptiness you spoke of-- I've felt that
        too and quite often and for a long time. Without going into personal
        details, I'll just say that meditation helps with that too.

        We're living in strange times. We're besieged by ads and other social
        pressure telling us how we should look, what we should buy, how to
        increase and maintain and protect what we have. The US spends trillions
        of dollars on all these material things and still it isn't enough. We
        measure our economic progress, not by what we spend our money on, but
        simply-- and much too simply-- by how much we spend. More seems always
        to be better (except, somehow, with all those trillions we spend, we
        can't afford compassion). And in spite of these mountains of material
        goods we make and buy, we're still not happy... often times not even
        content. We're so often advised that there's a pill for this and that,
        a small bit of pricey chemistry, a small bit of even more material,
        which we can buy to solve our problem. Looking out over our society and
        much of the world, we witness such a malaise: so many angry people,
        people thinking they can "fix" some problem by stealing something or by
        insulting or hurting or killing people. Even lives led which are
        harmless and "normal" can at times seem quite pointless and vacuous.

        For those with eyes to see, it's readily apparent that with our
        exaggerated interest in material we've lost touch with the spiritual. To
        vanquish or overcome many of the maladies we see around us and, of
        those, the ones we suffer from, we would do well to investigate this
        long neglected dimension of life. Buddhism with its unbroken tradition
        going back centuries offers us a path to spiritual awareness and
        understanding that is otherwise difficult to find in such richness
        elsewhere in modern society.

        So please feel welcome here and free to ask questions and make
        observations. We're all here to help each other.