need help getting started

  • Cerea <cerea_@hotmail.com>
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 20, 2003
      I am new to Buddhism and having trouble getting started. Can anyone
      on this list give me some assistance?

      Cerea
    • maryvonheide
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 20, 2003

        Sent: Monday, January 20, 2003 9:50 PM
        Subject: [Buddhism_101] need help getting started

        I am new to Buddhism and having trouble getting started.  Can anyone
        on this list give me some assistance?

        Cerea

        Hallo Cerea!
        It does depend on which tradition of Buddhism you feel drawn to, but if you are interested in Mahayana and the Tibetan tradition, try www.fpmt.org/education.   This is the Foundation for the Preservation of the Mahayana Tradition education website, which will give you details of some excellent home study courses.

        RIGPA do a distance learning course, too, called "Discovering Natural Mind", which is described as "an ideal staring place for those who are curious about the practice of meditation", and is based on Soygal Rinpoche's book "The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying".   Their email is rigpadistancecourse@....

        Geshe Michael Roach also does correspondence courses that include The Principal Teachings of Buddhism, Applied Meditation and How Karma Works. Check out www.chenrezig.com.au/gmr_courses.html

        Other than this, I would suggest that you check out your local library.  Don't me shy of looking in the children's section.  They often have excellent introductory books!

      • Caroline <caroline.driver@btinternet.com>
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 1 9:50 AM
          Dear Cerea

          A very good primer on Tibetan Buddhism is Transform Your Life By
          Geshe Kelsang Gyatso.It's very reader friendly.

          Caroline

          --- In Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com, "Cerea <cerea_@h...>"

        • dharmascribe2003 <dharmascribe2003@yahoo
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 4, 2003
            <cerea_@h...> wrote:
            > I am new to Buddhism and having trouble getting started. Can
            anyone
            > on this list give me some assistance?
            >
            > Cerea

            Hi Cerea...in addition to the previous excellent recommendations,
            perhaps you could check out www.LamaYeshe.com, where you will find
            great introductory teachings--relevant to the present day but
            faithful to the tradition.
          • namgyal monastery
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 4, 2003
              HI,