Follow-up on Free Buddhism ebooks

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 20 9:45 AM
      An additional note:

      After sending the previous message, I looked a bit more on
      <http://smashwords.com> and found a lot more books there on Buddhism, at
      least a dozen of which were free of any cost. You do, however, need to
      give them enough information to set up an account with them, e.g., a
      some names and an email address. (They promise not to send you any
      spam.) Sounds worth it to me.

      Just now I came across a free ebook. Download it at
      <https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/306117>. You'll have to set up
      an account first, but I just did that and it didn't cost anything and
      they didn't even ask me for a credit card or anything like that (though
      I'm sure they would if I were to buy something). I should add that
      several writers I know use and trust this site, so while this is my
      first time there, and while my net-paranoia level is higher than most
      other people's, I just downloaded one ebook and plan on downloading one
      or two more.

      Here's the description of "Buddhism of Wisdom and Faith" from
      smashwords.com:

      Buddhism of Wisdom & Faith: Pure Land Principles and Practice

      Cover for 'Buddhism of Wisdom & Faith: Pure Land Principles and Practice'
      By Lok-To Shi
      Published by YMBA
      Rating: Not yet rated.
      Published: April 13, 2013
      Words: 93,882 (approximate)
      Language: American English

      This Pure Land treatise is, to our knowledge, the first and only
      compendium of Pure land teaching and thought currently available in a
      Western language. In the tradition of the Avatamsaka Sutra, the author
      sometimes shifts from one plane of meaning to another, at times
      down-to-earth, at times metaphysical, so as to reach readers at every
      level and to sever attachment to his very words.

      Extended description
      Essentials of Pure Land
      1. Birth and Death
      a) Liberation from Suffering
      b) Pure Land and the Issue of Birth and Death
      c) Pure Land, a Buddhist Approach for Today

      As I'm only briefly acquainted with Pure Land Buddhism, I can't speak to
      the quality of this book itself. And I only just now downloaded it.
      Perhaps someone more qualified to speak on it than I would have
      something to say about it.

      As for the format it's published in, Epub, I only know that it's an open
      source ebook reader, so you should be able to find suitable software to
      use to read this book for any major digital platform: Windows, Mac,
      Linux, Android, and perhaps one or two others.

      Best to all,
      ken