Re: [Buddhism_101] Solitary Buddhist

  • michael
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 19, 2012
      Hello Ken :)

      Being a solitary practioner means, to me, I don't know the correct way to practice.  If I am not wrong I believe this is where you are at this point in time.  Let me tell you a short story of how I do things and I hope it helps.  My wife and I enjoy food.  Every other weekend we choose a different place to eat breakfast.  You guessed correct.  Every other weekend we have a new favorite place to eat.  I may be in the mood for one teacher this day and another tomorrow as everything is temporary.  I have no Tibetan temple here, but I do have Thervada.  So to make things simple.  One is fried chicken, the other baked.  But don't not go to a temple just because they are not Tibetan, Zen, or what have you.  Just go....

      "The difference between a fool and a wise man; a fool has to say something.  A wise man has something to say."

      Budha

      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 19, 2012
        michael, I think you may have confused the posts. I am not the "Solitary Buddhist", except when I want to be. I belong to a very good sangha and, though, due to logistical problems, I can't attend regularly, I am very happy to be part of this sangha when I can. I have been able to sit with many great teachers of all lineages.
        I also have Thravadan and several Zen centers in my area. Which I can practice with as I please. I have been a practicing Buddhist since 1969, in Thailand. I moved to Vajrayana in 2004 and took my householder vows that year. Being given my Vajrayana name of Konchog Legshe by His Eminence Garchen Rinpoche. That's a very short list of my background. I also practice Taichijaun, although, I am fairly new to it, I find it exhilarating.  I like the structure of having a temple and sangha when I need it, and being alone when I wish.
        Tt sounds like you have a practice which makes you happy. I am very happy for you. It is great to talk to others with other ideas. Please, lets keep a dialogue goes and try to draw in others.

        I hope your practice goes well,

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 19, 2012
          Hello, ken. It is good to see that you are still the group owner. There are lots of people, out there, who need just a little basic help. I'm sure there are people still on this group who would be glad to supply it.

          I hope your practice is successful.