Re: [Buddhism_101] Solitary Buddhist

    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 19, 2012
      On 11/19/2012 01:25 AM bek.winton wrote:
      > Hello all & thank you for letting me join this group. I currently live
      > in Dallas, TX. & am wondering if there is a temple here anyone could
      > recommend. I do know there are several but I guess I'm being shy as I
      > have been a solitary practitioner since I "became" Buddhist about 5
      > years ago. I think mainly I need a group, temple, etc. that I can
      > meditate with & learn from. Thank you for your time.

      Yahoo used to have a mapping app which I configured for this group to
      help people locate Buddhist temples and organizations in various areas.
      But for some reason that application (and all the data that was in it)
      was taken down and so no longer exists.

      But you should have gotten an email when you signed up for this group,
      an email which addressed that question. It just said to look in the
      Files and Links sections of this group's web site. People have posted
      information there on Buddhist temples in their areas.

      If you don't find anything helpful there, there's always google. Most
      Buddhist temples have web sites now and I would guess that you should
      find several in the Dallas area.

      Finally, different people like different flavors (or schools) of
      Buddhism. You might even favor one particular temple today, but in a
      few years find another which you like even more. You don't have to stay
      with the same one for your entire life, nor is it any kind of rule that
      you must attend just one temple. You're the best person to decide which
      suits you best.

      Best wishes,
      ken
    • michael
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 19, 2012
        Hello Ken :)

        Being a solitary practioner means, to me, I don't know the correct way to practice.  If I am not wrong I believe this is where you are at this point in time.  Let me tell you a short story of how I do things and I hope it helps.  My wife and I enjoy food.  Every other weekend we choose a different place to eat breakfast.  You guessed correct.  Every other weekend we have a new favorite place to eat.  I may be in the mood for one teacher this day and another tomorrow as everything is temporary.  I have no Tibetan temple here, but I do have Thervada.  So to make things simple.  One is fried chicken, the other baked.  But don't not go to a temple just because they are not Tibetan, Zen, or what have you.  Just go....

        "The difference between a fool and a wise man; a fool has to say something.  A wise man has something to say."

        Budha

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 19, 2012
          michael, I think you may have confused the posts. I am not the "Solitary Buddhist", except when I want to be. I belong to a very good sangha and, though, due to logistical problems, I can't attend regularly, I am very happy to be part of this sangha when I can. I have been able to sit with many great teachers of all lineages.
          I also have Thravadan and several Zen centers in my area. Which I can practice with as I please. I have been a practicing Buddhist since 1969, in Thailand. I moved to Vajrayana in 2004 and took my householder vows that year. Being given my Vajrayana name of Konchog Legshe by His Eminence Garchen Rinpoche. That's a very short list of my background. I also practice Taichijaun, although, I am fairly new to it, I find it exhilarating.  I like the structure of having a temple and sangha when I need it, and being alone when I wish.
          Tt sounds like you have a practice which makes you happy. I am very happy for you. It is great to talk to others with other ideas. Please, lets keep a dialogue goes and try to draw in others.

          I hope your practice goes well,

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 19, 2012
            Hello, ken. It is good to see that you are still the group owner. There are lots of people, out there, who need just a little basic help. I'm sure there are people still on this group who would be glad to supply it.

            I hope your practice is successful.